Over crowded waters on the Surfcoast

miles haworth's picture
miles haworth started the topic in Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 12:51pm

Have you woken up at 6:30 trying to get to your local for a wave on the weekend and not been able to get a park?
Are you often dropped in on not matter whether it be it wink or point road knight?
Do agree with the developments happening around the surf coast with Waralily, Armstrong Creek, Villa Wood, Spring Creek and the new Sands estates?
The estimated population is expected to rise by 15,000 people over the next 15 year and thats not including Barwon Heads and the Bellarine Peninsula.
With more than the a third of the population made up of surfers, are a few waves along our coast going to be enough?

I believe with the right attitude we can create more waves along our open stretches of beach to accommodate the increasing numbers flocking to the waters each year. Toquay was put on the map by surf culture and companies that formed in the 1969 and now people don't get a chance to enjoy the waves along the coast due to overcrowding.

My proposal to the people is for the people. We need to create artificial reefs along our open stretches of beach that don't ever get decent banks and plenty of swell. The stretch of beach from The Surf Club at 13th to Black Rock, O'donohues to Urquarts Bluff and Aireys Inlet river mouth to Spout Creek offers kilometres of amazing beach that rarely get decent banks to generate great waves. These artificial reefs could promote the growth for new eco-systems if implemented correctly.

If we got together, raised the funds, and donated the right materials it could all be possible. This is an expression of interest. If anyone has any marine knowledge or even and input please get involved. Here is a link the with relevant informations on how to go about making this happen. http://www.environment.gov.au/resource/artificial-reefs
http://www.surfingramps.com.au/artificialsurfingreef.htm

It would be really nice if this could happen. Please invite and share this forum to whoever you think is interested.

Yours truly MH

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 3:45pm

It all sounds relatively easy in principle, but getting this kind of project off the ground requires a momumentally large number of things to occur.

For what its worth (off the top of my head) I also reckon the Surf Coast probably has one of the most surfable coastlines - i.e. number of surf breaks - per kilometer in the country. And, every time I'm down there during a good swell I usually manage to score somewhere reasonably empty away from the main breaks. 

As such I think it'd be pretty hard to justify an artificial reef in this neck of the woods. That's just my 2c anyway.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 4:52pm

.....and mine Ben. I was down there in between Xmas and New Year and had some fun empty beach breaks. If you can get uncrowded waves when it is impossible to park in Lorne or Torquay the rest of the year can't be too bad. Maybe you should head north and find out what real crowds are like miles. Crowds that are not just at the best spots when they are good but everywhere all the time.

miles haworth's picture
miles haworth's picture
miles haworth Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 8:09pm

Most weekends there will be 20 people sitting on a tiny onshore peak along the each stretch of beach and everyone is fighting for them. Its just food for thought anyway. I would be nicer if we optimised on the situation and spread the crowds out. There will always be a growing populous of surfers around the area. I have seen the crowds up north and couldn't stand it. If we had more banks there will be less aggression in the water, more options and more marine eco-systems.

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 8:21pm

jUST like wave pools, creating more opportunities for surfing could end up putting more people in the water :|