Bigger than SUPs

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 started the topic in Thursday, 8 Jul 2010 at 6:45am

Three days in a row at my local north of headland, getting a little fuller each day but still classic fun.
Graced yesterday by two of the biggest drop ins I've had the pleasure of experiencing, two juvenile humpbacks passed within 5 metres of the take off point as a set came through their entire length was visible through the wave face.
We could smell their incredibly bad breath as they snorted by ( hey if you ate 2000pounds of krill per day you breath would stink too)
We were so entranced we didn't catch a set wave, a smiling session went down for the rest of the time out.
This is in direct contrast to most encounters with SUPs and I would rather miss a number of set wave to a whale any time!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 8 Jul 2010 at 7:04am

Surfed with two of them at Stanwell Park a few years back Jaf. I think it was a Mum and her pup...mental blank, what do they call whale babies??

Anyway, it was a sunny day and I saw their shadow on the bottom first which freaked me out. Like 'holy shit, how big is that shark?' But then realised they were whales just coasting along and calmed right down. They passed within ten metres of me. Didn't smell their breathe but....

renegades's picture
renegades's picture
renegades Thursday, 8 Jul 2010 at 7:18am

saw a whole pod of whales of garie the other day, to bad the surf was shit

mtw's picture
mtw's picture
mtw Thursday, 8 Jul 2010 at 8:42am

Baby Whale is a calf.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 8 Jul 2010 at 9:32am

Ha! Of course...cheers MTW.

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Thursday, 8 Jul 2010 at 9:23pm

James Packer - now that'a a baby whale

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 8 Jul 2010 at 9:28pm

Didn't smell their breathe but....

By: "stunet"

My whale's breath smells like whale food.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 8 Jul 2010 at 9:30pm

Years ago I remember a guy who was surfing way out the back of Middleton, who unfortunately found himself way outside the regular lineup, positioned between a Southern Right Whale and her calf. The mother thought the surfer was about to attack the calf, and got super aggressive on him - wasn't a pleasant experience.

logger's picture
logger's picture
logger Friday, 9 Jul 2010 at 2:39am

been an awesome season down in VIc so far, been in the water with a couple of whales up close, can vouch for the breath stink!
Killer whale and calf at another point break last week, wasnt in the water for that one, but their presence sure calms the attitude down at most breaks, reminds us how small and vulnerable we really are.
Loving it!