New Board

homer's picture
homer started the topic in Sunday, 27 Jun 2010 at 7:38am

Hi, im thinking about getting a new board but I want to get something that will help improve my surfing. Ive been surfing for 3 years and started out on a 6,4 * 20 fish type thing and now ive got a 6,0 6,1 and 6,3. All of which im happy with but I think i might have jumped the gun abit and so im thinking now I should get something abit simpler that will help me rather than frustrate me. My mane trouble is doing any turns that arn't snaps so basically I struggle with top turns and cut backs.
What would be the best board to help learn how to turn better and surf more rail to rail?
should I get a mini mal or a single fin fish and what size boards should I be looking at?

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Sunday, 27 Jun 2010 at 11:37am

Homer, sounds like more of a technique issue than board to me. You probablly need to rotate your upper body more in your turns which is started by looking where you want to go and turning your head and shoulders there also.
I also think getting onto wider or longer boards is harder to learn how to get it on rail as you have more board to deal with and transition from rail to rail takes longer therefore is harder.
Instead of getting more boards spend a few dollars with a good surf coach and see if it is technique. Also get him to take a look at your board your riding and see if that is the problem. Alot of people could really benefit from coaching but think they don't need it, its only the board that is the problem. All the top surfers get coached as do tennis players, golfers ect. so why don't more surfers, instead of just bumbling through all the time and then blaming the board. Make sure it is a performance surf coach and I bet you will get heaps of benefit in no time at all.And no, I'm not a coach but have seen the improvement that coaching has made to some of the local kids.

ed's picture
ed's picture
ed Sunday, 27 Jun 2010 at 12:56pm

Look at your fin setup would be an easy first step. Changing board dimensions is a constant search for perfection. Some elements in board design that may help your board rotate rather than snap could be the widen your dimensions to get more rotation but you loose speed the wider you go. look at the concave of the board single to double as opposed to single helps the tail flick out on turn. If you really want to be doing turns like the rippers at your break understand they are out their surfing whenever there is decent surf, gotta put in the time.

larry's picture
larry's picture
larry Monday, 28 Jun 2010 at 12:53am

homer

think less, surf more, and get a bog standard board with a bit of foam. depending on size and weight. surf coach probably couldn't hurt either.

homer's picture
homer's picture
homer Monday, 28 Jun 2010 at 8:36am

thanks for that, does anyone know where a good surf coach is around torquay or philip island?
I always thought that because I never learned to surf on a long board and probably got onto shorter boards earlier than I should have that I might have missed out on learning a few of the basics.

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 Tuesday, 29 Jun 2010 at 7:28am

Go Homer at least you are looking at how you can improve.
Tip 1 go surfing often.
Tip 2 A cheap but daunting way if no coaches are available is; if you have a mate with a video camera.
Have him video you. It will really show you where your technique lies epic fails might also get you some money on funniest home videos too.
That's a serious suggestion though as you see the difference between what you think you are doing and what you are doing.
From tip 2 change what you do.
An important thing here is you will probably feel like you are going nowhere or backwards for a while then vavoom what you are trying to do will come together. a coach can get you through that rough patch.
If you surf with a trusted mate who is a good surfer get him to clue you up a little.
Tip 3 If snide and unkind put downs join this thread just ignore them, not enough people admit they have more to learn in surfing.

Have fun

mtw's picture
mtw's picture
mtw Tuesday, 29 Jun 2010 at 9:14am

I heard that some guys use no legropes, this motivates you to land the bigger turns because when you fall it is a long swim to retrieve your board. If you do have to swim, the swim will do you good as it will work on fitness.

I have not tried this as I mainly surf on reefs with a heap of rocks, but if you do just make sure no other person or rocks are any where near you.

Forget the surf coach and forget another board, just surf as much as you can. Surfing is all about practice, practice, practice.