Converting a channel twin into a single fin.

johannes_rausch's picture
johannes_rausch started the topic in Thursday, 22 Dec 2022 at 6:17am

Hi there,

I have been surfing my first Channel Twin for a few months now. Unfortunately, the MOTE board is not available anywhere in Europe.

Because the rails are quite thick, I have the feeling that it is very hard to surf as soon as the wave doesn't have a lot of power or is huge.

It feels very chunky, and almost every turn gets out of control.
I don't consider myself a bad surfer, I've been trying to control the board for weeks now.

My idea is to put in a single fin box. This way I can either surf the board with a small trailer fin or as a single fin with side bits. Similar to the EVIL TWIN from Lost.

My current board is 6.3 (https://www.surfinestate.eu/en/collections/twin-fin/products/arecibo).

What do you think? Does this make any sense from a shaping point of view, or is it a waste of time?

Looking forward to an interesting conversation.
Greetings from Mexico
Jo

tiger's picture
tiger's picture
tiger Thursday, 22 Dec 2022 at 7:38am

Hey Jo. I'm assuming the fins in your board are a removable fin system such as futures. If you are using regular upright twin template fins, try swapping them out for a modern keel type fin. Their swept back template and base sits further toward the tail and give the board a lot more hold. Worth trying before exploring other options.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 22 Dec 2022 at 8:24am

Good advice Tiger- Jo this may explain a bit

johannes_rausch Thursday, 22 Dec 2022 at 9:48am

Hi Tiger and Udo,

Thank you so much for your advice.
I've tried the following fins:
https://captainfin.com/collections/twin-fins/products/tyler-warren-twin-...
https://captainfin.com/collections/twin-fins/products/christenson-twin-e...
The second one worked a slightly better, but still not what I was looking for. I just can't push the board at all in smaller waves or non-powerfull waves.
Would you try something like that? Or can you recommend a fin (future system)
https://captainfin.com/collections/twin-fins/products/mikey-february-kee...
Any statement to the idea I have?
Thanks for the help.
Jo

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Thursday, 22 Dec 2022 at 10:24am

Even in the video in your link, Johannes, the surfers look competent and the waves good but the board looks to be holding them back through all the turns.
And that’s them promoting the board.
I’d say it’s probably just a bit of a dog, unfortunately.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 22 Dec 2022 at 10:37am

I'd somewhat agree with the above, Jo. That surfing isn't a great advertisement for the board.

If you're gonna pursue some sort of action, I'd consider routing in a single fin box and riding it as a 2+1. The board will lose a few yards of pace but you'll gain a greater range of turns, and also find it's a bit more stable too.

That said, I'd probably look to offload it and try something new.

johannes_rausch Thursday, 22 Dec 2022 at 12:29pm

Hi lostdoggy, hi stunet,
Maybe I was just blinded by shaper's enthusiastic description of the board when he raved about it in the shop.
Let's see what happens when I install a fin box in the middle.
Maybe I'll just have to sell it and wait for the Morning Of the Earth board. Wherever I get this one in Europe....

Rough idea where to place the box?

Thanks for your help guys

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 22 Dec 2022 at 12:47pm
eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies Thursday, 22 Dec 2022 at 12:53pm

Personally I’m not sure the boards the problem , in the video anyway.
The guy surfing is riding fairly forward and kinda looks like someone who’s used to riding shorter boards.
You know, popping up with the same amount of board in front that they’re used to.
Looked like he just needed to move back a bit and feel his wax in.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 22 Dec 2022 at 5:26pm

I’ve been listening to a podcast lately called Salt of the Peninsula about surfing legends of the Mornington Peninsula. Anyway at least two episodes are on very well known shapers past and present of twin fins and I remember one talking about the false need of a trailing fin; something along the lines of if you keep a rail buried you must have a fin holding. It sounds good and makes sense but it’s kinda beyond my comprehension.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 23 Dec 2022 at 8:18am

If it's in good condition its sounds like you just need to move the board on rather than mess with it which highly likely wont improve things they way you want.

Agree that video was not a great advertisement for the board either.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 23 Dec 2022 at 4:24pm

Convert the board to a 2+1, larger fin in the rear. It will turn predictably and be able to have turns pushed, cut back with hold and precision and be able to do this small through to powerful, larger waves.

The long rails of this type of shape will provide the speed down the line without the need to pump or skate fins.

3 1/2" gap between the rear of the stabilisers and front of the rear fin and adjust from there to your preference.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Friday, 23 Dec 2022 at 4:31pm
velocityjohnno wrote:

3 1/2" gap between the rear of the stabilisers and front of the rear fin and adjust from there to your preference.

I only go about 1 inch back.
If it’s weak and junky I sometimes cluster it right up and the middle starts where the sides end.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 23 Dec 2022 at 6:48pm

Maybe see if you can borrow some keels first, before you do anything.
It can make a heap of difference in terms of drive and hold. I use both of these in similar style boards to yours, the upright keels are looser and sit somewhere between the traditional keels and those MR style twins.
https://needessentials.com/products/keel-fins
https://needessentials.com/products/torren-martyn-hand-foiled-raked-keel...

If they are no good probs sell it on and get something you like more. Good luck.

johannes_rausch Saturday, 24 Dec 2022 at 7:14am

A single fin box (or a future box) in the middle should tend to do no harm.

Should I place the single fin box 2 1/2 from the back? Then I have room to play around with a center fin (stabilizer)

Something like that: https://www.sanctumsurf.com.au/longboard-stablizer

Then I can try out different combinations of fins.

Thanks for all your help!

tiger's picture
tiger's picture
tiger Saturday, 24 Dec 2022 at 7:30am

If you're going to set it up as a regular 3 fin set up, it will be best to have the rear no closer than 3" from the tail. If you go for a fin box to accommodate a larger centre fin probably around the same. Depending on the thickness of the foil in the tail, a fin box may not fit that far back.