Ding Repair - new white board

Bungan33's picture
Bungan33 started the topic in Tuesday, 6 Sep 2022 at 2:26pm

Hi all - I posted a question a while ago about repairing new white boards. Respond with a small win....
After talking to a fibreglass supply outlet and a professional repairer - who all said that even the pros struggle with new white boards - I had a small win. Not perfect - but the right direction.
Used resin, added Q-Cell, then white resin pigment - then hardener. Hard to say how much (at least 4-5 good squirts of white resin pigment) - but kept mixing till it was whiteish....the hardened colour was whiter than the resin mix - and not too bad. Still more to learn but the right direction I reckon.

Baldhead's picture
Baldhead's picture
Baldhead Thursday, 8 Sep 2022 at 10:52pm

Looks good mate. Handy tips, I’m just about to fix a small ding on a white newbie.

Cheers

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Friday, 9 Sep 2022 at 8:04am

You'll never stop learning Bungan - even after you burn the house down and are immune to fibreglass itch. Good work.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 22 Sep 2022 at 12:26am

I had a timberTek and didnt like the shape and lightness so sold it. Not sure about compared to LFT but didn't ding easily. Occasionally some timber joins crack apparently.Here's a few tips on fixing TT boards..
https://www.swaylocks.com/forum/74578/damaged-firewire-timbertek

Also some say that that waterproof Selley's epoxy stuff sold in a blue 6 or so inch long 10cm diameter tube you can buy from bunnings and mix with fingers is good for TT dings or cracks too.There may be other options too.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-50g-knead-it-aqua-epoxy-putty_p1230080
Nails also work on timber boards (joking). :)

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Friday, 23 Sep 2022 at 3:12pm
Leenakooper wrote:

Nice work! Hey, how are the Timbertek boards for durability, you think? DO they pressure dent as easily as the LFT? Those things look very weak. But I heard Timbertek are tougher. And, is it also very light in weight?

The TTs are I think epoxy so more durable and stronger than the LFT's that used to have a reputation for snapping.
Using the paulownia in boards is largely a novelty thing and for ascetics (I make them for myself) there are much better materials available these days still the TT's are well made for a production board.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 23 Sep 2022 at 4:05pm
I focus wrote:
Leenakooper wrote:

Nice work! Hey, how are the Timbertek boards for durability, you think? DO they pressure dent as easily as the LFT? Those things look very weak. But I heard Timbertek are tougher. And, is it also very light in weight?

The TTs are I think epoxy so more durable and stronger than the LFT's that used to have a reputation for snapping.
Using the paulownia in boards is largely a novelty thing and for ascetics (I make them for myself) there are much better materials available these days still the TT's are well made for a production board.

They are both epoxy with EPS core, both composite construction and vacuum bagged builds.

TT though has reinforced timber rails(parabolic stringers) not just deck timber skin, while LFT has a centre stringer made from some other crap.(seems pretty much useless)

LFT feels good to me very similar to a PU/PE board for an EPS/Epoxy board but durability wise it seems pretty much the same as a standard epoxy glassed board and not that much difference to a mass produced PU/PE board, it will dent, get glass shatters and yes easier to snap.

While I've found TT to be extremely durable up there with the old FST, yes it can still ding or snap but chances are much lower especially just everyday pressure dings.

I generally dont have the view point that EPS/Epoxy boards are corky, but of all the FW build boards or EPS/Expoxy boards ive ridden i have had that feeling at times with TT even the sound of board hitting the water kind of makes a different sound a higher ping sound, but that might just be that the boards I've had in TT have been short wide thicker boards that would naturally flex less.

Good thing about TT though is when the epoxy resin does yellow instead if an ugly yellow board, you just have a different shade of timber.

BTW. Yes very light in weight.