low tail rocker thruster help

samerubi's picture
samerubi started the topic in Tuesday, 14 Sep 2021 at 5:38pm

hi, i have recently acquired an 80's inspired thruster.
it features an overall low rocker and relatively narrow and straight squash tail outline.
compared with more recent thruster designs i own the main feature that stands out is the lowish tail rocker.
i have only surfed it a couple of handful of times and so far i have found it to be fast - like really fast.
the downside is that control and considered turns are more tricky, and (so far) it requires more drawn out turns.
on one hand i am over the moon with the speed, on the other i am wanting more control and a tighter turning arc.
obviously, i have two options.
firstly, deal with it and adjust.
secondly, change the fins to try and bring in some moderation of the speed and promote tighter turning.

my question is whether anyone has had much luck changing fins on a low rockered thruster to slow and help turn a wayward beast.
if so, was this done by reducing fin size, using more upright fins, or both (or something different completely - and dont say wrap seaweed around your leggie)?

thanks in advance.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 19 Sep 2021 at 8:25pm

So whats Fin setup now - Glass ons ?
Be the Perfect board to add 4wfs plugs for the Front Fins...for Toe adjustment

samerubi's picture
samerubi's picture
samerubi Monday, 20 Sep 2021 at 12:57pm

no, not glass ins - but that would have made the board more period correct.
the board came with one of the big two fin systems.
unfortunately it came with the other system to my collection of fins...
i was trying to make an informed purchase.
i have never really liked upright fins - maybe that is because all my previous boards have had moderate or greater tail rocker.
however, after taking the plunge on a new set of upright fins i can report a dramatic improvement (based on two surfs in decent/good conditions).
not sure if was the reduced base length or shifting of the meat of the fin slightly forward but control and maneuverability are now suitable for the 2-4 footers i aim to use the board for.
i have never experienced such change with thrusters before and wonder if it comes back to the low rocker being more sensitive to fins than your typical modern hpsb.

oh, and as to 4WFS in the vid, i have invested heavily in one fin system, and am now investing in the other. last thing i need is another system.... on the other hand, it does offer some advantages, not the least of which is it changes the toe, cant and location of the fin along the board. i have enough rabbit holes already though....

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 20 Sep 2021 at 1:12pm

What was your first Fin System ?

https://www.swellnet.com/forums/shaping-bay/208571 - lots of info here

https://www.wasabisurf.com/

samerubi's picture
samerubi's picture
samerubi Monday, 20 Sep 2021 at 2:44pm

i changed over to single tabs in the early 2000s.
now with a couple of sets of twin tabs again i might be able to find a board off the rack in my dimensions....
still using screws though.