Keel Fins for Mini Pip

leniam's picture
leniam started the topic in Monday, 2 Mar 2020 at 11:56pm

I'm just about to pick up a 5'10 Gary McNeill Mini-Pip. This model has a fairly wide tail, high volume. I'm only 5'7" and 69kg, 48 years old. I'm no gun,more a long-time intermediate surfer.

Anyhows, I've basically got little idea what fins to get. I am thinking FCS2 Modern Keels, only because keels and twins are often mentioned in the same sentence. The modern keels are pretty large fins going by the specs This board will be used for small waves 1 to 3ft mostly. In reality I don't know how much influence the fins will have (I'll be the major limiting factor), but I may as well start with some that suit.

Anyone got any advice on fins?

Darchjb's picture
Darchjb's picture
Darchjb Monday, 9 Mar 2020 at 6:36pm

Hi Leniam,

If you can drop Gary a line through his website he has his own twin fin templates both keel and an upright template. I have the latter but in a single tab (futures) not sure if he does them in FCS. He's also a top guy to deal with.

Spuddups's picture
Spuddups's picture
Spuddups Tuesday, 10 Mar 2020 at 6:35am

Hi Leniam, I am almost exactly your height, weight and age. I have a few fishes. What I can tell you about keels is that I don't like them. I prefer normal fins. hope this helps.

Terminal's picture
Terminal's picture
Terminal Tuesday, 10 Mar 2020 at 8:01am

Nice looking board you're getting. I've owned plenty of this style of board (mostly quads though) and found that flexible fins worked better for me in small waves. As with spuddups I also prefer normal fins to keels. Longtime average surfer. Hope this helps

KookDeVille's picture
KookDeVille's picture
KookDeVille Tuesday, 10 Mar 2020 at 10:38am

Best bet would be to have a chat with Gary, but I'd be going with futures plugs for a start, so many more fin options. If you're keen on keels I've been enjoying the True Ames Ryan Lovelace template in my small wave wider tailed boards. Upright twins I'm enjoying the Tyler Warren template for bigger waves, hold/drawn out turns & NPJ Chippa template for tighter radius turns and a bit more snap/release.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 10 Mar 2020 at 11:00am

Those Metua keels in Futures on Ebay look o.k. for $70 - solid Glass

P'tai's picture
P'tai's picture
P'tai Tuesday, 10 Mar 2020 at 4:08pm

You might like to try the Rasta Keels, they are awesome in that type of board. Gary had input to the design too.

leniam's picture
leniam's picture
leniam Wednesday, 11 Mar 2020 at 8:41am

Hi All. Just came back to this thread after a few days. I mistakenly ordered FCS2 on my last board so thought I'd just make the same mistake again.... realised too late there are many more options for Futures (and that Gary can supply Futures direct). I ended up buying CHRISTENSON KEEL ESPECIAL as I think they're slightly smaller than other modern keel type templates. Hopefully pick up the board in the next two days. If I don't like the fins I'll have to revisit... and probably get some more normal type fins.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Wednesday, 11 Mar 2020 at 9:09am

I probably would have gone with the fcsii modern keel over the christenson as they look pretty similar and I don't have a heap of faith in the fcs1s in twin fins.
The retro keel is actually the smallest keel in fcs range though if that's what you were after.
If you could get the fronts of the Machado split keel probably go good too, otherwise just the powertwins would do the job.

But yeh, futures definitely have more options as you can buy from so many different makers.

leniam's picture
leniam's picture
leniam Wednesday, 11 Mar 2020 at 2:21pm

To be honest, I was all set to get the modern keels, but saw some youtube guy compare the modern keel and christenson and he made an off the cuff comment about them being a bit smaller.... I figured 'I am also smaller'.... that's all the logic that went into it. The power twins might be the next go-to if these ones are no good. As for strength... I thought about it, but my power-surfing is not really a thing... so should be ok.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Wednesday, 11 Mar 2020 at 4:06pm

i'm with p'tai...the rasta keels are really good.

also have a look at hanalei fins for a totally different fin style. they have a devoted following among certain groups of fish riders.

Solitude's picture
Solitude's picture
Solitude Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 8:25am

Those who ride twins - anyone have an opinion with regards to upright fins vs keels? Are there situations where you'd favour one style over the other?

samerubi's picture
samerubi's picture
samerubi Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 1:05pm

had a few twins - dhd twin, mini twin 2, now have a stacey bullet. in all cases i liked the upright fin templates more. tried futures k2, captain tyler warren twin, and scarfini FX2. Scarfini fin is hands down my favourite in all three boards. i think two things are important - fin cant, and fin depth - and matching these to your board and how you want to surf it. fin cant on twin sets varies more than for thruster sets.

Solitude's picture
Solitude's picture
Solitude Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 1:23pm

What didn't you like about keels samerubi?

samerubi's picture
samerubi's picture
samerubi Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 4:01pm

traditional-style keels (k2) have noticeable less cant and less depth than the Scarfinis. I found the k2s more suited to straight-line speed (not really necessary on a twin) and had less hold when trying to turn tight. These aspects were exaggerated going backhand. i also found the tyler warrens had less cant than the Scarfinis - similar desire to want to go straight and were less responsive. Musings of a madman perhaps, but that was the feel from the helm.

Solitude's picture
Solitude's picture
Solitude Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 4:19pm

Thanks for your advice mate

silentp's picture
silentp's picture
silentp Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 6:29pm

CDrive have a twinfin set now that I've been using in a Gary Mcneill CV2 for about a month now.
I tried numerous other quad/twin combinations previous to these but was never completely happy with the feel.
They're certainly not cheap but worth it for that distinct positive/drivey but also free feeling that are unique to this design.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 17 Dec 2020 at 8:32am

Noel Salas design Keels

https://www.shopsurfnshow.com/

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 18 Feb 2021 at 9:55am

Dean Brady 10'4 Twin Timber keels

For CB says Scardy.