Keel Fins for Mini Pip

leniam's picture
leniam started the topic in Monday, 2 Mar 2020 at 11:56pm

I'm just about to pick up a 5'10 Gary McNeill Mini-Pip. This model has a fairly wide tail, high volume. I'm only 5'7" and 69kg, 48 years old. I'm no gun,more a long-time intermediate surfer.

Anyhows, I've basically got little idea what fins to get. I am thinking FCS2 Modern Keels, only because keels and twins are often mentioned in the same sentence. The modern keels are pretty large fins going by the specs This board will be used for small waves 1 to 3ft mostly. In reality I don't know how much influence the fins will have (I'll be the major limiting factor), but I may as well start with some that suit.

Anyone got any advice on fins?

Darchjb's picture
Darchjb's picture
Darchjb commented Monday, 9 Mar 2020 at 6:36pm

Hi Leniam,

If you can drop Gary a line through his website he has his own twin fin templates both keel and an upright template. I have the latter but in a single tab (futures) not sure if he does them in FCS. He's also a top guy to deal with.

Darchjb

Spuddups's picture
Spuddups's picture
Spuddups commented Tuesday, 10 Mar 2020 at 6:35am

Hi Leniam, I am almost exactly your height, weight and age. I have a few fishes. What I can tell you about keels is that I don't like them. I prefer normal fins. hope this helps.

Terminal's picture
Terminal's picture
Terminal commented Tuesday, 10 Mar 2020 at 8:01am

Nice looking board you're getting. I've owned plenty of this style of board (mostly quads though) and found that flexible fins worked better for me in small waves. As with spuddups I also prefer normal fins to keels. Longtime average surfer. Hope this helps

KookDeVille's picture
KookDeVille's picture
KookDeVille commented Tuesday, 10 Mar 2020 at 10:38am

Best bet would be to have a chat with Gary, but I'd be going with futures plugs for a start, so many more fin options. If you're keen on keels I've been enjoying the True Ames Ryan Lovelace template in my small wave wider tailed boards. Upright twins I'm enjoying the Tyler Warren template for bigger waves, hold/drawn out turns & NPJ Chippa template for tighter radius turns and a bit more snap/release.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo commented Tuesday, 10 Mar 2020 at 11:00am

Those Metua keels in Futures on Ebay look o.k. for $70 - solid Glass

P'tai's picture
P'tai's picture
P'tai commented Tuesday, 10 Mar 2020 at 4:08pm

You might like to try the Rasta Keels, they are awesome in that type of board. Gary had input to the design too.

leniam's picture
leniam's picture
leniam commented Wednesday, 11 Mar 2020 at 8:41am

Hi All. Just came back to this thread after a few days. I mistakenly ordered FCS2 on my last board so thought I'd just make the same mistake again.... realised too late there are many more options for Futures (and that Gary can supply Futures direct). I ended up buying CHRISTENSON KEEL ESPECIAL as I think they're slightly smaller than other modern keel type templates. Hopefully pick up the board in the next two days. If I don't like the fins I'll have to revisit... and probably get some more normal type fins.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy commented Wednesday, 11 Mar 2020 at 9:09am

I probably would have gone with the fcsii modern keel over the christenson as they look pretty similar and I don't have a heap of faith in the fcs1s in twin fins.
The retro keel is actually the smallest keel in fcs range though if that's what you were after.
If you could get the fronts of the Machado split keel probably go good too, otherwise just the powertwins would do the job.

But yeh, futures definitely have more options as you can buy from so many different makers.

leniam's picture
leniam's picture
leniam commented Wednesday, 11 Mar 2020 at 2:21pm

To be honest, I was all set to get the modern keels, but saw some youtube guy compare the modern keel and christenson and he made an off the cuff comment about them being a bit smaller.... I figured 'I am also smaller'.... that's all the logic that went into it. The power twins might be the next go-to if these ones are no good. As for strength... I thought about it, but my power-surfing is not really a thing... so should be ok.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook commented Wednesday, 11 Mar 2020 at 4:06pm

i'm with p'tai...the rasta keels are really good.

also have a look at hanalei fins for a totally different fin style. they have a devoted following among certain groups of fish riders.