EPS Epoxy longboards

Matt Brown's picture
Matt Brown started the topic in Friday, 10 Jan 2020 at 11:00am

Can I get your advice please? I'm looking at buying a longboard. Ideally, something like a 9'6", single concave, flat, double concave with 1,2 fins.Question is: can you get quality EPS/ Epoxy boards? Is it worth thinking of that construction for longboards? For background, I've been a shortboard surfer all my life, getting a bit unfit and stiff, but good surf skills. If it was 4-6 foot and going off I'd be back out on my 6'5" by Greg Clough (yes, the last time I bought a board was the mid 90s), so I'm really looking at a board for conditions under that, to get me going out daily no matter what - want performance if I can get it but getting out there is the priority. Any views appreciated.

morg's picture
morg's picture
morg Tuesday, 14 Jan 2020 at 10:51pm

If you’re relatively new to having a longboard in your quiver I suggest you go more for the design, shape and style of longboard you like rather than the construction. The design, shape etc will most likely have much more influence on how you enjoy surfing it, rather than the variety of construction options of a quality longboard unless you’re surfing it at a high level.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Tuesday, 14 Jan 2020 at 11:12pm

Get a midlength (7 to 8ft probably) if you want it for daily surfs and not eps.
You'll have heaps of fun.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 15 Jan 2020 at 5:51am

Why not EPS ?

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Wednesday, 15 Jan 2020 at 6:28am

Personal opinion.
But I feel when you’ve boosted the size up that big you need too much glass to get a decent weight to it.

Glass a middy PU blank in 6x6 and 6 and it’ll perform in big and small and have a predictable feel in my experience.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 15 Jan 2020 at 8:54am

Agree. Matt - check out Swellnet's Midlength board thread if you can find it. If coming from shortboards these are a good step between the two types of board, and you can catch plenty of waves and still turn them a bit more like a shorty compared to the setup/cross step up&down/drop knee turn biomechanics of a longboard.