South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales Surf Forecast (issued Friday 6th March)

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Friday, 7 Mar 2014 at 1:32pm

South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales Surf Forecast by Ben Matson (issued Friday 6th March)

Best Days: Great surf expected most days from Sunday onwards. 

Recap:  Strong trade swell on Tuesday eased slowly through Wednesday and Thursday, bottoming out this morning. 

This weekend (Mar 7-8) 

Not a bad weekend for waves although Sunday will certainly be the pick, and the open points of SE Qld will be the biggest beneficiary. 

Synoptically speaking, we have a tropical low northeast of Cairns (more than a thousand kays from the mainland) which is likely to develop into a Tropical Cyclone during the next 24-36 hours. This TC is located well outside SE Qld's swell window - let alone Northern NSW - so we won't be seeing any direct swell from it. 

However, it's presence will assist in anchoring the trade flow across the southern Coral Sea, and we'll see a building trde swell as a result. Saturday will start off small with a slow increase throughout the afternoon however Sunday looks like it'll see the most size, and the Sunshine Coast will see the biggest waves (approaching 3-5ft at exposed beaches by the end of the day, smaller on the points).

As we head south from the Sunshine Coast, wave heights will decrease - so expect a late Sunday peak in the 3-4ft range on the Gold Coast, 3ft across the Northern NSW Coast and down to somewhere around 2ft on the Mid North Coast. 

Wind wise, we're looking at a steady E/SE flow in most regions veering more E/NE across the Mid North region. Aim for the morning as winds will be at their lightest then and this is the only chance where you may see locally influenced periods of offshore winds in selected areas. So on the whole, Sunday's looking great for the open SE Qld and Northern NSW points. 

Next week (Mar 10-14)

Next week looks unreal for surf prospects, thanks to a sustained period of strong activity throughout the Tropical South Pacific and Coral Sea (this pattern is long overdue as well!). 

A new high moving slowly eastward through the southern Tasman Sea throughout the forecast period, will maintain a health trade flow through our swell window for much of the forecast period. This will supply plenty of surf all week, although Sunday's late peak will probably ease slowly through Monday afternoon and Tuesday, bottoming out Wednesday. That being said, the SE Qld region is unlikely to drop below 3ft through Wednesday, with slightly smaller surf as you track south of the border.

Wind wise, we're looking at similar patterns for much of the week in SE Qld/Northern NSW (early light winds, tending moderate to fresh SE or E/SE). During Tues/Wed we'll see variable conditions with afternoon nor'easters develop in the Mid North as a southerly change approaches. This southerly change is expected to influence southern NSW later Wednesday but current expectations are it won't push north of about Seal Rocks. So, expect a renewal of E/SE winds across most regions later in the week as a new high becomes established in the Tasman Sea. 

Long term (Mar 15 onwards)

The weekend's Coral Sea cyclone is unlikely to directly influence our swell prospects. However, model guidance is suggesting we'll see a bigger, more prominent Tropical Cyclone form near the Vanuatu region later this weekend or early next week, before slowing tracking east (towards Fiji) then possibly south.

As this system will be somewhat embedded within the sustained, stationary monsoon trough, it has strong swell generating potential in a couple of areas - firstly, it'll restrengthen the existing trade flow (and should provide a kick in size later next week). However because of the favourable synoptic setup, the cyclone itself has good swell generating possibilities for the Australian East Coast sometime later next weekend or early in the following week, depending on how it behaves.

At this stage the models are split between a slowly meandering journey through the tropics - which may not deliver us much swell - or an extra-tropical transition along a southward path from Fiji to New Zealand. 

Gut feeling right now is that we'll see the latter develop, however the large distance between the mainland will cap wave heights on the East Coast. That being said,  I'm expecting this system to be large, slow moving and very intense - so the large, long period swell generated by it should kick up some pretty serious wave heights. 

As such I'm going to go out on a limb and call a 6ft+ long range E'ly groundswell for exposed spots, arriving sometime around next Saturday (15th) or Sunday (16th). I'll update my thoughts on this on Monday.

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Sunday, 9 Mar 2014 at 9:47pm

You know what Towman, I have only surfed the 'target area' twice. But the best waves I actually got were west of there, but only just west, not real West. i.e. straight out front was better. Serious, not makin this up to discourage people from going to the target area

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Sunday, 9 Mar 2014 at 9:57pm

Just don't see the point in naming spots. Swellnet doesn't do it so why should you jump on their forum and tell the world where to go. News broadcasts are on air for 3 mins. If you miss the broadcast then you can't go back and see it again. Posting locations on Australia's #1 surfing forum for everyone to read 24/7 forever is just mind blowing stupidity IMO.

But hey, you're the man who knows everything and believes he's doing the world a favour by blabbing spots to the world so go right ahead mate. Karma will look after d1ckheads like you. End rant from me now.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 9 Mar 2014 at 10:24pm

Welly ay thats where i am campin . And its been good here so direct em more east to yas secret spots

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 10 Mar 2014 at 10:30am

Yeah but Mitch, for rees0 to say a "mellow crowd of 10".... on the sunny coast.... shows one of two things... He's either living in a parallel universe, or he's a small wave surfer..... The only times you get a "mellow crowd of ten" is at some of the EXACT spots that tv webcast or Robbie Sherwell mentions when it is 2 foot..... Those rare times the Sunny coast is over 6 foot, it's wall to wall fibreglass from Caloundra to Noosa at all the spots that can handle it. I don't know when you were last on the sunny coast, Mitch, but it aint 1988 anymore. Urban sprawl from Bindy Irwin land to Hatsings st....The sunny coast now economically relies on bands of surfers visiting, with shop owners praying for dudes to come in to their bakery for the after surf munchies.... It aint S.A... Totally different culture..... Totally... And one last thing, I don't know how many surfers will be inspired by my one little blog here to visit my old urban wasteland of Coolum... 2, 4 , 10 surfers. But I do know that millions of surfers worldwide know of the upcoming swell event thanks to webistes like this, it's competitors, and the likes of channel 7 and 9.... It's no use pointing at the smoke. The fire was lit long ago....
Anyway, just scrolled through 15 pages surf forecast notes, the majority of which have 0 to minimal comments.... Good to see people getting into it.... And this topic/ debate that has morphed is probably worthy of a decent discussion in a new forum topic...... It's a good one, certainly not a clear line, but a dotted one. cheers, Mitch..

kaiser's picture
kaiser's picture
kaiser Monday, 10 Mar 2014 at 10:57am

Well I aint seen too many jellyfish, but this is definitely a shitwind...

Funny, they were talking the forecast up big time at the beginning of the comp, but even to my rudimentary eye it didn't hold anything special in store. They wanna hope the winds shift, and soon

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 10 Mar 2014 at 11:03am

Yep Kaiser, Shitwind..... Don't be surprised if the odd bluebottle starts rockn in.. Never know ya' luck...

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 10 Mar 2014 at 11:25am

Well, Braithy, I stand by my comments in the "semi pro shakedown fountain of youth", wed 5/3, 11.56 am...... That freekn wannabee guru loudmouth narcissistic tick ridden mut wrote;

" Window should be 14 days, not 12. 2 days can make a helluva difference, especially in Qld, in march..... Forget about the low forming off FNQ. It'll most likely follow the path of the last "gammon" cyclone....... Easterlies, jellyfish, junk..... Wind up the ladies now (move to Dbah tomorrow if necessary).... A ballsy comp' director would wait for the 1/2 decent fetch forming around the 10/3. 11th, 12th should be "ok"....If the window was 14 days, we'd have a decent "spectacle" on the 13th and 14th, with that fetch squeezing between NZ, New Cal', and Fiji......... will be a good 4 foot without the "jellyfish shitwind"...... "
I'll leave you all to your own devices..... C ya out the back one day ;)

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 10 Mar 2014 at 12:52pm

Arrivederci SDog!!!!

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 10 Mar 2014 at 1:38pm

hey sheepdogg ,wheres that thread where you asked the question about swell being affected by the earth spinning eastward ?( north /south angle) I would have thought you where correct about that . when you watch the colour models and you see swells heading to india from the roarin 40s etc you can see it easily and it sorta goes with that question I had asked . now I dunno wheres the thread and want see if it got an answer

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Monday, 10 Mar 2014 at 1:43pm
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Wednesday, 12 Mar 2014 at 12:31am

(issued Friday 6th March)...Friday was the 7th... wind ya watch back 25hrs hey Ben?

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Wednesday, 12 Mar 2014 at 12:51am

Sheepdog - I guess I'm just a glass half full kinda guy then. Last surf on the Sunny Coast was solo and a solid (but junky) 3ft on the weekend. prior to that, a mid week mid arvo sesh, with random lidders calling me into 2-3ft drainers (didn't make any of the drainerpipes, just the more gentle, shouldery ones).

for a 6ft E'ly swell on the weekend though: from past experience, I am also expecting wall to wall fibreglass, anywhere that's holding the size and fairly clean.