The land of the Long White Cloud

mick-free's picture
mick-free started the topic in Wednesday, 24 Sep 2014 at 5:21pm

Got a week at home for school holidays in Northland NZ, current long range models have a 4-6m SW Swell for West Coast 3rd and 4th October and a very rare 3m east swell for 30th Sep - 1st Oct. The East Coast have some incredible set-ups that lay dormant for sometimes years. Its moved around a fair bit the last two days but interested in opinions, WAMS looking pretty tasty - what do you reckon??

seaman-staines's picture
seaman-staines's picture
seaman-staines Friday, 3 Oct 2014 at 8:02am

That's the NE Coast for ya, gotta make hay while the sun shines that's for sure. As soon as any system slips past that damned cape it's all over. Doesn't look crowded. The beauty of where you are is the proximity of the West Coast. Not many places in the world you can surf the East in the am and then surf the West after lunch.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 3 Oct 2014 at 8:09am

Yeah, mick... You gotta love that eastern cape..... NOT...... Tassie is very similar.. Small swell windows.. Here today, gone tomorrow....
Besides all that, your timing is freekn impeccable... When you came down here, you scored west coast offshore and pumping 6 to 8 foot, which is a difficult act (offshore winds that is).... Then you go to J bay and score epic all time swell..... Now,,,, you go to NZ..... Not only do you score an out of season tropical low swell on the east coast, you now have a west coast monster swell on the way.... get a freekn lotto ticket champ....

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 3 Oct 2014 at 10:00am

Haha, that swell for Tassie, he chased SD, but he's lucked into J-Bay, Donkey Bay, this epic left on the East Coast NZ, and now the West Coast NZ over the weekend!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 3 Oct 2014 at 12:01pm

Yeah, craig.... "Tin arse, bro"...... Lotto ticket for sure lol

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 3 Oct 2014 at 12:04pm

Get waves around your joint this morning SD?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 3 Oct 2014 at 12:44pm

Having a poke around after lunch.... Too much stuff to do this morning.....

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 3 Oct 2014 at 4:48pm

Craig.....

Great bank, consistent, 3 foot sets but with the water of 5 foot qld.... Quite unbelievable how powerful 2 to 3 foot is on the south coast of Tassie..... I'm not joking..... like dbah or yaroomba on steroids... So much fun...... Got an hour in before feet went numb and grey fin paranoia set in..... Just me and my wife..... Started thinking about Esperance situation, and by coincidence this region down here is called the Esperance coast.... Spooked myself out of the water....

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 3 Oct 2014 at 4:57pm

Very nice, yeah punchy as with those strong periods as well! Spooky as well with just you!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 3 Oct 2014 at 5:18pm

Yep, it's a lonely coast.... BTW, the well known island to the east of here was catching full brunt... Can see the lighthouse from where I park..... Looked massive on the southern tip..... Cumulonimbus cove would've been chunky...

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Saturday, 4 Oct 2014 at 3:15am
Sheepdog wrote:

Craig.....

Great bank, consistent, 3 foot sets but with the water of 5 foot qld.... Quite unbelievable how powerful 2 to 3 foot is on the south coast of Tassie..... I'm not joking..... like dbah or yaroomba on steroids... So much fun...... Got an hour in before feet went numb and grey fin paranoia set in..... Just me and my wife..... Started thinking about Esperance situation, and by coincidence this region down here is called the Esperance coast.... Spooked myself out of the water....

good one mate, looked fun and with only two in water, your styling, dont like the part about feet going numb though can you ever surf there in a springy? hey stoked your in the water, hope u pulled up okay with shoulder. that bloody spooky vibe seems to be everywhere at the moment.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 4 Oct 2014 at 8:57am

It was just me, biscuit boy..... Missus was shell collecting and grabbing washed up kelp for the compost....
Shoulders fucked this morning..... Gotta get that shoulder exerciser uplift suggested..... Heading into the big smoke next week.....

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 4 Oct 2014 at 9:45am

Up on the north east coast in feb' you might get away with a springy.... For 1/2 an hour..... But not down here..... But the modern 4/3 steamers are pretty good, man

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Saturday, 4 Oct 2014 at 11:09am

Its taking time to build but here and Its windy as now.....hoping for a wind change to the SW. Here's a pick from this morning.

Also Sheepy got that Lotto ticket here are the numbers. If I win will shout the SN team to Namotu plus the legends like yourself, Southey, Wellymon, Don and Camel if he can get a passport.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Saturday, 4 Oct 2014 at 11:45am

nice photo, great set up. u lucky bugger it looks like no one out- how big u reckon the waves were in that photo mick?

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Saturday, 4 Oct 2014 at 11:55am

Its overhead so three foot. Outside there are 5 footers. It's got a lot bigger now though so heading back for the arvo shift.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 4 Oct 2014 at 1:11pm
mick-free wrote:

Its taking time to build but here and Its windy as now.....hoping for a wind change to the SW. Here's a pick from this morning.

Also Sheepy got that Lotto ticket here are the numbers. If I win will shout the SN team to Namotu plus the legends like yourself, Southey, Wellymon, Don and Camel if he can get a passport.

On a boat???? With Don weather?.... And wellymon???/ And Southy???? In the middle of the pacific??? You really are a sadist............... What did I ever do to you, mick? I only tried to help......

Just jokes guys!!!!!!!!

Mate, I'd be happy with a weekend in Sydney, A day at the SCG watching the Aussies in a test match, and and a decent doner kebab..... Good luck bro....

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 5 Oct 2014 at 9:28am

Line K & D great numbers
Good luck MF

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Sunday, 5 Oct 2014 at 8:31pm

Couple frames from up hill this morning. Bit blurry as approx 10kms away.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 5 Oct 2014 at 9:26pm

Titch (RIP) is with you for sure :)

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Tuesday, 7 Oct 2014 at 5:02pm
mick-free wrote:

Sheepy that swell was still holding at 4-5 foot yesterday morning, then was pretty much gone by the arvo. Nothing here now. Be on the road to west coast today. Photos are a bit overexposed, I'm not a photographer haha.

you lucky bugger mick, that second shot, what a bloody beauty. thanks for sharing the photos, small nor east wind chop here

eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies Tuesday, 7 Oct 2014 at 10:27pm
davetherave wrote:
mick-free wrote:

Sheepy that swell was still holding at 4-5 foot yesterday morning, then was pretty much gone by the arvo. Nothing here now. Be on the road to west coast today. Photos are a bit overexposed, I'm not a photographer haha.

you lucky bugger mick, that second shot, what a bloody beauty. thanks for sharing the photos, small nor east wind chop here

cool .. looks like you got the bar crankin.

almost makes me miss the place lol

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Wednesday, 8 Oct 2014 at 5:44pm

Cheers Dave, that was at the high tide. As the tide started to push was impossible to stay in position so got out and walked up the hill for some shots...In the arvo when the tide dropped she was on with a crew of 7-8 giving it a nudge. Choice eh!

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Thursday, 9 Oct 2014 at 12:30am

LEGEND Me softcock, get amongst it champ, lots of yewww online, not sure whether payout or real deal, hope u had fun- get one for me- really fast one, love nz, took me 30 minutes to get on bus at raglan -nose rubbing- but me be in Tassie- 30 minutes in, ebola scare looks like flu- old dawg, scary mother fucker. do not play him madness , 'house of fun'' he will break out old classic moves and really, really scary shit.
how good to match up with mates- thanks swellnet-

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 9 Oct 2014 at 9:46am

Very strange post, that one Davo..... Either too much super happy fun plant, or kamikaze hack time..... ;)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 9 Oct 2014 at 9:49am

Same thoughts Dawg...!

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Thursday, 9 Oct 2014 at 9:58am
Sheepdog wrote:

Very strange post, that one Davo..... Either too much super happy fun plant, or kamikaze hack time..... ;)

flatmate had tv on all day bombarding me with their fear mongering. just had enough. sheepy, cant you remember the time we were down at old yorkeys school/community centre and i broke out the dance to madness house of fun- you laughed so much, you fell off swing, in fact i had/have never seen you laugh so much. last night was a very powerful moon/eclipse that if you had spent the day i had and then received numerous calls with people who had lots of issues popping up, far out, i just had to release-sorry if it seemed out there- but all good- man i am really surprised you cannot remember the madness dance, you were in hysterics. so apologies friends if it was whacky, but my day was madness.

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Thursday, 9 Oct 2014 at 10:19am

maybe a libs staffer's hacked DTR to get back at ya Sheepy :P

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Thursday, 9 Oct 2014 at 10:28am
mitchvg wrote:

maybe a libs staffer's hacked DTR to get back at ya Sheepy :P

funnily enough mitch, yahoo not working at all. spent all day working on local issues with our senior citizens and as i put in other post, had full day of people whinging about stuff and i thought the dawg would remember a very funny moment, but he must have forgotten it. flatmate had crew over all carrying on about ebola and so i went to listen to music, slice of heaven first song, i had amazing time in nz so i guess with huge day, all the fear mongering and whinging, i just wanted to be back in nz sitting on top of a volcano and hiding. apologies once again for my crap, but really, the day was just frantic

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 9 Oct 2014 at 10:52am
davetherave wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:

flatmate had tv on all day bombarding me with their fear mongering. just had enough. sheepy, cant you remember the time we were down at old yorkeys school/community centre and i broke out the dance to madness house of fun- you laughed so much, you fell off swing, in fact i had/have never seen you laugh so much. last night was a very powerful moon/eclipse that if you had spent the day i had and then received numerous calls with people who had lots of issues popping up, far out, i just had to release-sorry if it seemed out there- but all good- man i am really surprised you cannot remember the madness dance, you were in hysterics. so apologies friends if it was whacky, but my day was madness.

Had some funny times man... I also remember boxing night at the old community centre, when I took on that "Conrad" guy and gave him the flogging he deserved.... Built like a brick shithouse, head like a brick, but weak guts.... Bodyshot..... hahaha..... Remember our skateboard runs at the school on the weekends? Had certain runs with names like backdoor, Ulu...... So funny.... Cleaned ourselves up a few times lol.....

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Thursday, 9 Oct 2014 at 11:09am

what about at the new school and that trinity bay kid turned up we bowled bouncers at him non stop. u mitchell johnson left arm and ferocious, and me shaun tate, right arm and deadly, wonder why he never came back to play again!!!!!!!
yeah conrad was a bit out of his depth alright- old dawg new tricks- dont put the gloves on in the first place:)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 9 Oct 2014 at 12:34pm

All good Daveo
Had a thought of the little sneaky Zero pilot lining up the Caml, haha you must of had a full on day as it was pigeon English.
Do you still throw the arm over in the nets Davo?? Haven't bowled a ball in years, right arm medium out swingers, probably right arm slow wides now for this fella.
Sheepio eh, bit of a Ninja with the gloves haha that's not really what I expected from the tree hugging hippie Dawg deep in the south.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Thursday, 9 Oct 2014 at 3:03pm

i'd been doing community work for pensioners all day who whinged just about everything and i had a few red wines waiting for eclipse. full moon too- for years i surfed snapper on full moon and miss it big time, so i was feeling bit sorry for myself and a guy like caml- well, we all know his talent- would love to see him get the reco he deserves' cause he seems like a really good bloke too-
welly i have c3456 fused in my neck so cricket/surfing career is over. the old dawg was pretty lively as i was, but i slowed down to get swinging happening, but nearly every team i opened both batting and bowling. That night the yowie hippydawg was talking about his boxing skill, i was on the golf course next door doing a bit of night putting with a lovely young lady- we had a spotlight put on us by the green keeper who just happened to be her uncle- the rave has never sprinted as fast before or since. Probably my best effort ever on a golf course too- pity i didnt get to finish the round.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 9 Oct 2014 at 3:25pm

Hahahah.... Yeah, I remember that!! Hilarious!!! I even remember her name!!! Betcha you don't!!!! lol.... Ended up being mates with her little brother, who went from 5foot 5 to 6 foot5 in a year!!!!
BTW, you were a useless bowler..... I used to fuckn terrorize at Cairns state High.... Even Freddy Pilot was scared of me....... Never forget bowling Bobby Knight, Darren Rose, and Wayne Yesburg for a hatrick.... Suckers.. All right handers.....The ball that got the burg was a fuckn classic.... Left arm over, genuine pace, Bobby Knight - snick to 1st slip, Darren Rose fended a brute - bobbed to gully, But the burg, bowled wide of the crease, he thought was going down leg but just kept swinging in.... Hahaha, just, and I mean just clipped the leg stump..... Onya bike burger!!!!
As for batting, I was number 11, with good reason ;)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 9 Oct 2014 at 5:04pm

Classic fellas
Howz zat!

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Thursday, 9 Oct 2014 at 7:09pm

Can't have an NZ thread without cricket. 9/52 for Paddles. "One of the all time great performances" - Bill Lawry at his best.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 9 Oct 2014 at 7:42pm

True Mick,
Geez paddles had the most perfect bowling action, so smooth.
Paddles, Jeremy Coney, Lance and his Excalibur, the 80's was a great era for NZ cricket.

They are starting to flashes again..! Lets hope ;)

Did you get good waves at Cargo Boats..?

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Friday, 10 Oct 2014 at 11:28am

the enzed climate and pitches contribute to that i reckon. but boys, what about the match fixing allegations- dunno= maybe having a bet on things-but match fixing- dont think so
hippydog, for 24 years i been living next door, son......to the cookie monster!!!!!! me like an elephant, nose nearly as big as well and for the other trunk, well, i am blaming all the cold water swims and surfs :)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 10 Oct 2014 at 11:57am

Match fixing ???
More like budgie smuggling;)

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Friday, 10 Oct 2014 at 12:21pm

emu's prancing mate, emu's prancing:)

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 10 Oct 2014 at 12:57pm

davetherave wrote "and for the other trunk, well, i am blaming all the cold water swims and surfs :)"

Heard it all before, bro.....

Come down to lagoons for a surf, mate..... Your nads will be up in ya large intestine, and the old fella will look like a mushroom hiding in the bush ;)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 10 Oct 2014 at 1:48pm

Especially if its a "Liberty Cap" hiding in the grass deep down in the "Land of the Long White Cloud".

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Friday, 10 Oct 2014 at 2:30pm

u guys nutters- walking along new brighton beach christchurch- tried the water-no way, southerly come thru, me walking back along beach with ice on my mo, young fella out there swimming and running about in boardies- i still think i was hullucinating- did get wet in mountain stream at Turangi though- thawed out a week later. i swam crystal clear tweed river this morning, 22 degrees with 15 m visibility and three dolphins and turtle came to share- wish you were here.