should Kirra Big Groyne be cut off from the land and made into a better wave closer in

jazzy's picture
jazzy started the topic in Wednesday, 18 Feb 2015 at 11:11am

this would let the sand paass and bring the waves in closer to the rocks

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 18 Feb 2015 at 4:41pm

That's a great idea! Let's put it to the GCCC and newly elected Labor government. After recently spending $1.5 million a few years back to extend the groyne (with the sole purpose to improve wave quality at Kirra), I'm sure they'll see no issues with removing the quarry rock for another expensive experiment in surf zone engineering.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 18 Feb 2015 at 4:58pm

You know, it'd be an interesting experiment as it could potentially help with a number of things. Sand could get pushed down the point, and the sweep might be lessened too as water would run down closer to the rocks rather than from the tip of the groyne.

Alas, just as Ben says, after many years and mucho money arguing the groyne had to be lengthened I can't see GCCC willingly reversing the project.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 18 Feb 2015 at 5:02pm

Has Kirra been Brought Back yet? S'pose we'll find out tomorrow.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 18 Feb 2015 at 6:09pm

Hey fellas, does anyone know where I can throw in a few extra dollars to potentially improve the surf in the Far South East corner of Queensland ?

It doesn't seem right that there is only a handful of perfect points for those boys to drop in on each other.

jazzy's picture
jazzy's picture
jazzy Sunday, 22 Feb 2015 at 10:47pm
thermalben wrote:

That's a great idea! Let's put it to the GCCC and newly elected Labor government. After recently spending $1.5 million a few years back to extend the groyne (with theĀ sole purpose to improve wave quality at Kirra), I'm sure they'll see no issues with removing the quarry rockĀ for another expensive experiment in surf zone engineering.

jazzy's picture
jazzy's picture
jazzy Sunday, 22 Feb 2015 at 10:48pm

cut off from the land not shorten ben

jazzy's picture
jazzy's picture
jazzy Sunday, 22 Feb 2015 at 10:48pm

has ben goo d tho

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Monday, 23 Feb 2015 at 12:22pm

you can definitely see that the angle of the bank down the butterbox section is improving... but the sandbar is still much further out than it used to be during the 90s, i remember having many a close call with north kirra groyne, and currently to have a close call you would have to trip over it on the run round.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 23 Feb 2015 at 12:31pm

There've been some unreal waves at Kirra over the last five days, but - for my eyes - not too dissimilar to anything that's been on offer over the last ten years. Last year's groyne extension doesn't seem to have made a major improvement to the wave quality IMO.

Any local surfers have an opinion?

jazzy's picture
jazzy's picture
jazzy Wednesday, 22 Jul 2015 at 10:52am
yocal wrote:

you can definitely see that the angle of the bank down the butterbox section is improving... but the sandbar is still much further out than it used to be during the 90s, i remember having many a close call with north kirra groyne, and currently to have a close call you would have to trip over it on the run round.

yep would go a long way to lengthen the point again and make kirra a super long wave in all swells would bring back greenie into the point too