James Kimo Walker

andrew-pitt's picture
andrew-pitt started the topic in Monday, 23 May 2011 at 11:44am

Thank you Philosurphizingkerching for idea of a Surfing Reef Design Forum, Thank you Thermalben, StuNet and Swellnet - for making it happen.
I would like to acknowledge James 'Kimo' Walker, who studied Hawaiian surfing reef bathymetries in the 1970's (especially Queens on the south shore of Oahu) and developed descriptive terminology still used today. Sadly, he passed away in 1998. A great man: a pioneer, honourable, ethical, supportive, humble yet proud, knowledgable, caring, sharing in an Aloha way... he was an inspiration, a mentor and a true gentleman.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 23 May 2011 at 10:16pm

A good start might be for participants in this forum to state their credentials, history and affiliations so the public can get an informed judgement on the veracity and worth of the opinions expressed.

I've had a long history of professional and personal dealings with Dr. Neil Lazarow and consider him a man of impeccable integrity and extremely well researched opinions on both the value of surfing to the economy and various issues relating to artificial surfing reefs.

I've interviewed Angus Jackson who designed the Narrowneck reef and am familiar with the history, justifications and results of that project.

In general and within strict limitations I support the idea of artificial surfing reefs.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 23 May 2011 at 10:49pm

Good idea. I've started a seperate thread where users, if they so wish, can state their credentials.

See this thread.

jeanhole's picture
jeanhole's picture
jeanhole Sunday, 25 Sep 2011 at 3:27pm

inspiration Surf and knowledge we can make as a lesson next generation, to be like James 'Kimo' Walker