i need help with what board to buy!!!!

ckoeck25's picture
ckoeck25 started the topic in Tuesday, 1 Jun 2010 at 12:22am

Hi swellnet, i recently snapped my old board, but with death comes rebirth!!!! i.e. im on the hunt for a new board! Im about 75k kg's and 6"2' tall, im not a great surfer but i was riding a 5"11' aloha board and doing okay. Im looking for a squash tail between 6"1' and 6"3', suggestions??????????
Thanks everyone!

oceania's picture
oceania's picture
oceania Thursday, 10 Jun 2010 at 1:59am

Hey mate,
Check out my reply to the guy asking about his questions on purchasing a Webber/Pulse.
Call Miller surfboards and speak to Grant. I reckon an F skate 6'1 x 21 x 2 5/8.
Cheers

olskool's picture
olskool's picture
olskool Friday, 11 Jun 2010 at 2:44am

i dont know where you live but the best way to get a good board is custom made.go to a local shaper and tell him what your style is like and where you often surf....cant go wrong

fullyloadedman's picture
fullyloadedman's picture
fullyloadedman Monday, 21 Jun 2010 at 1:42pm

Try having a think about what you would change about your last board, you might want to go a little thicker or wider or narrower that way when you do go to buy/order a newy you know what to look for.
With the greatest of respect to our friend oceania, a board that thick and wide would probably be way to big or you. Sure you might catch heaps of waves, but at 75 kg's and "not a great surfer"(me niether!), it will be to hard to turn. If you wanted to go thicker and wider than your last board do it in slightly smaller increments eg. if your old board was 5'11 x 2 1/4 x 18 1/4 go for something like 5'11 x 2 3/8 x 19 1/4 or even 6'2 x 2 1/4 x 19 ish. Your best bet is to go to a surf shop and see what demo boards they have. Being 75 kg's and 6'2 tall its pretty certain that they'll have something there that will suit you perfectly. Olskool's right though, custom boards are the shit! Once you get a custom you'll never buy off the rack again.

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Tuesday, 22 Jun 2010 at 9:14pm

Probably time you went and saw a good shaper and got yourself a custom IMO. Your pretty tall so a good shaper will take that into account and do you a board that suits your height and weight. Let him know your ability and where you surf mostly as that will give him a good idea on what will work for you. Don't exagerate your ability because you don't want a board that is designed for slater and co. if you're only surfing to an intermediate level as you want something that you can progress on not get frustrated with. That also goes for riding something too wide, short and thick for your ability. IMO you need something that will help you to get on your rails and wide boards arn't the way to go in that regards. Any how, good luck and try to get something to progress on, not go backwards.