Putting in more fin plugs

timmsy's picture
timmsy started the topic in Thursday, 27 May 2010 at 6:43am

In my quiver i have a Warner 5'10 twin fin with MR tfx fin setup, this board rocks and slides like a skate board, its awesome. I was thinking off getting a quad board futher down the line when i thought i maybe able to get some more fin plugs put into my twinny? has this being done before etc? that way i wouldnt have to buy another board, and could go between having a twinny/quad.

Deano.

speedneedle's picture
speedneedle's picture
speedneedle Friday, 28 May 2010 at 10:00am

Deano,

For sure, it's done without drama. A manufacturer who does dings will do this. (Some lamination shops don't touch dings).

Even better if there's a shaper attached to the shop, who may know where to mark the spots for quads. Google Bruce McKee, a longtime quad shaper who publishes his stats on quad placement. If you are anywhere near Warner, where the board was made, they might be the best to do it.

Josh
www.joshdowlingshape.com

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Sunday, 30 May 2010 at 6:26am

Deano, do it it i have 5 plugs in my standard shortboard & interchange for the conditions or what i feel like riding, Quads are awesome get the right fin set up they are better than tri's
plus sometimes its good with the twinny to stick in the tri trailer on the MR tx's, Some shapers will try to steer you away from 5 plugs due to weight but i have not found it an issue.
Good luck

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Tuesday, 1 Jun 2010 at 2:17am

The weight is not an issue, but quads and tri's have different bottom curves so you cant have the best of both worlds.Better off having 2 boards.

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Wednesday, 2 Jun 2010 at 10:10am

Shaun disagree, Best of both worlds is available, fin area is the only concern work out fin area that works for you be it single, twin, twin with stabilser, tri or quad you will get different feelings. I stuck a box in my 7'2 pat rawson tri & ride it as a single fin works like a gem. As for quads & tris have different bottom curves your wrong

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 5 Jun 2010 at 8:19am

Shaun disagree, Best of both worlds is available, fin area is the only concern work out fin area that works for you be it single, twin, twin with stabilser, tri or quad you will get different feelings. I stuck a box in my 7'2 pat rawson tri & ride it as a single fin works like a gem. As for quads & tris have different bottom curves your wrong

By: "rule303"

I disagree 303, you can stick any fins you like on any board you like and true if you get the area and the placement right it will go okay, I'm sure your single fin goes great with a single fin stuck in it.But I'm pretty sure Pat Rawson would be a lot happier if you were riding a purpose built single fin shaped by him and so would you be. You cant have the best of both worlds, just a compromise between the two. I don't think your right about the bottom curves, but I'm glad it works for you, cause that's all that matters.

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Saturday, 5 Jun 2010 at 10:01am

Shaun in the interests of debate tell me why you disagree bottom curves are very similar across a range of boards its more a case of the waves your riding

you can have the best of both worlds. Care to elaborate on your point of view.