Bigger board for my next trip

timmsy's picture
timmsy started the topic in Friday, 7 May 2010 at 12:15pm

Im currently riding a 6'1 shortboard which is a little wider and tiny bit thicker than ure average shortboard, im going back to bali again in june and want to get another board to take with me for when it gets over that four foot mark to have something with some more paddle power and down the line speed, im not going to be surfing 10ft padang but im wondering if moving up to a 6'3 would be big enough or go up to a 6'4 ???? Im going to talk about it with my shaper but just wanted a rough idea before i speak to him.

fullyloadedman's picture
fullyloadedman's picture
fullyloadedman Tuesday, 22 Jun 2010 at 4:59am

I'm a bit surprised nobodies replied to this. It would be good to know what you went with timmsy... I had the same dilemma before my last trip and decided to go with a slightly bigger (1") but more of a standard shortboard with a rounded pin and it went insane! Such a good board for riding barrels. Unfortunately when I got it home and into a standard sydney beachy it sucked! its good for solid Winky days though

timmsy's picture
timmsy's picture
timmsy Friday, 16 Jul 2010 at 4:21am

I ended picking up a second hand almerick 6'4 which was the same dimensions as my 6'1 just longer, i got back from bali on sunday, and scored some unreal waves at ulu's in the first week of my trip on it, and like yourself rode it the last two days in two foot beachies and i could barely turn the board whatso ever. Great board for once it was about the 3ft mark and had some power.

more's picture
more's picture
more Saturday, 17 Jul 2010 at 12:52am

yep, the power of the waves as well as the quality definitely allow riding bigger boards..
board lengths for Indo have dropped considerable, when I firstwent in 1990, tokk 3 boards, 6'2" ( standard shorty ), 6'6" and 7'0"....most guys taking boards alot shorter than that these days....interesting but surfing has changed a hell of a lot since then.....