hello
just wanted to know if any one has good info on them
website, vidoes etc
also give me your thoughts on them
cheers

1963-malibu's picture
1963-malibu's picture
1963-malibu Tuesday, 4 May 2010 at 8:53pm

visit tom wegener surfboards dot com and check out 'toms creation plantation' video.

huon's picture
huon's picture
huon Wednesday, 5 May 2010 at 4:01am

It is amazing i've been looking for the last two hours and no one has dimensions up....
There are some ok how to blogs but nothing to specific. I think it is one of those just go for it. Remember always plain with the grain. Apart from that go crazy.

olskool's picture
olskool's picture
olskool Thursday, 6 May 2010 at 2:32am

Hi mate check out Surfing Green web site.you can down load designs and measurments for Alaias.you can get the timber from up the coast(nsw).i will get the address and get back to you.....

huon's picture
huon's picture
huon Thursday, 6 May 2010 at 5:19am

$329 for an alaia, i am in like kin!!! I'll get back to you in a few weeks and tell you how it rides.

surfer1234's picture
surfer1234's picture
surfer1234 Thursday, 6 May 2010 at 8:48am

thanks boys for the great info i already have one there so much fun if you havent got one i reccomend getting one
cheers

timmsy's picture
timmsy's picture
timmsy Friday, 7 May 2010 at 12:09pm

whats an alaia????????

surfer1234's picture
surfer1234's picture
surfer1234 Saturday, 8 May 2010 at 10:21am

an alaia is a wooden surfboard which was ridden by the ancient haiwains. they have no fin, no rocker and they are best riden on waves such as noosa ect. here is a picture of one http://www.google.com.au/images?um=1&hl=en&rlz=1T4ADBF_enAU307AU308&tbs=...
ceers

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Saturday, 15 May 2010 at 12:35am

No fins, No rocker = no good+ good chance of killing some poor bastard who happens to be in the way of some out of control "waterman" on the wifes ironing-board claiming to be 'in tune with the ocean man' and 'back to our roots dude'.

huon's picture
huon's picture
huon Friday, 21 May 2010 at 2:38am

Where do you surf Seal? I might come for a wave, do some yoga and stuff like that....

eeks's picture
eeks's picture
eeks Monday, 24 May 2010 at 4:52pm

No fins, No rocker = no good+ good chance of killing some poor bastard who happens to be in the way of some out of control "waterman" on the wifes ironing-board claiming to be 'in tune with the ocean man' and 'back to our roots dude'.

By: "seal"

seals quickly becoming my favourite poster

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Sunday, 30 May 2010 at 6:49am

The thing with the Alaia if you want to buy a blank go to tom wegener he gives you a video if your unsure about shaping, i wouldnt bother buying one from for $300 plus ready to surf it defeats the whole purpose, if the hawaiians could shape a bit of wood with rocks & coral i reckon you can have a fair crack at it with cheap power tools from asia, plus its wood so you can alter the rails alter the concave & rocker, when ever you want

How do they surf ideally you want a point break if your local is mainly beach breaks it will be frustrating, that said they are lots of fun prone with flippers pulling into big closeouts, i would reccomend anyone give an alaia a go a totally different feeling & they are super fast, just make your own its not that hard especially with Tom's Video

more's picture
more's picture
more Saturday, 3 Jul 2010 at 5:34am

fun but extremely challenging to master....you need to persist with them for a few months and they go best when the waves are good and thats when I wanna be on my shorty....so bit hard to get right into it for myself...but been loving surfing finless on a few of my boards...just learning to trim with no fins is hard but it feels great trying to control the slide, then you can spin and do 360s when ya want....similar feel to the alaia I guess but the foam in the board means I can still catch plenty of waves and also get back out there much quicker.....all fun....

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 12 Mar 2016 at 7:54pm

Vimeo: Fred Compagnon sans fins

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Sunday, 13 Mar 2016 at 6:21pm

Chopped my Alaia in half now have 2 Paipos for the kids super fun on sucky days