Revolutionary New Design

tripper's picture
tripper started the topic in Wednesday, 17 Feb 2010 at 5:32am

About two years ago now I had a dream.

While it wasn't as grand as racial equality,
It's was just as stoked fuelled.

It woke me with a frenzied sweat, and after a manic run to find a peice of paper and a pen underneath piles of clothes and disheveled shelves, i wrote it down.

The Dream?

I had walked into a glowing surf shop,
that i think was somewhere in the Metawais.
Anyway, it was tropical, a shanty shack surf shop, like one we'd only ever read about these days.

Inside this mystical house was a throng of all sorts of boards, duh it was a surf shop... but then i walked in the next room and there it was.

Lying on a tresel like a Maiden Modonna in virgin glory...

The craziest board i have ever seen.

i'm telling you, it was nothing like i have ever seen and to this day it is still nothing like i've seen, read or researched. It almost defines logic, but for some reason, I've got a feeling it will work... and quite possibly it could be the first Stick to be multi-directional, like a skater or snowboard.

Everytime i'm in the water i think about this board, cutting sick in ways that can only be imagined... by me.. as i'm the only one i've ever shown the design to...

well actually i did show it to my girlfriend at the time, but she's a philistinic misanthrope and wouldn't know a nose from a rail even if explained to her in clicks and grunts.

So i'm just thorwing it out there.

If there's a shaper, or someone who wants to view my design,
after signing a non-disclosure form of course, hit me up...

And also.. has anyone else had a similar dream?
Or similar ideas to cracking the multi-directional holy grail?

speedneedle's picture
speedneedle's picture
speedneedle Wednesday, 17 Feb 2010 at 8:13am

Hey Tripper...

Mine is a levitating board like in "Back to the Future", riding thermal airwaves in the sky.

Its not really feasible...maybe yours would be. So giss a look...

Josh

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 17 Feb 2010 at 11:50pm

But who wants a board that goes the other way? That would be very troubling, like, which ankle would you put your leggy on?

Bet you didn't think of that, eh Tripper?

tripper's picture
tripper's picture
tripper Thursday, 18 Feb 2010 at 2:47am

Ahhhhh CRAP!!

ahahahaha... totally didn't think about that...

Well maybe... a swivle in the middle?
Or just don;t have one?

But yeah of course not having a leggie... rah rah...

It'd be good in that circular wave pool that's getting made.

speedneedle's picture
speedneedle's picture
speedneedle Thursday, 18 Feb 2010 at 8:22am

Maybe have the leggy strap around your neck instead...

Josh

patty's picture
patty's picture
patty Monday, 22 Feb 2010 at 10:32pm

i have these dreams all the time tripper.

all the time!

problem is i dream in two dimensions so when the vision splendid comes to me i pop out the tape measure and grab the length but i can never get the width. my dream machine looks about 17 3/4 wide - yep thin! - but i can't confirm it. no matter how i wrestle with the mental image it remains as flat as a piece of paper.

i go back to sleep hoping - praying! - that for once i can dream as other people dream, but alas they'll always be lacking in depth.

toothless's picture
toothless's picture
toothless Wednesday, 14 Apr 2010 at 1:50pm

thats some good shit tripper, a board can only go thru as quick as it can release out the back otherwise turbulance.double ender. im thinking hollow board filled with compressed air two small jets at back,swing flap closes with forwrd motion.down rails with concave down each rail,paddle for wave 19' wide soon as it picks up swell planes on 17' bottom and you can feel it acellerate.each concave is 1' wide and 3/4 deep.live the dream

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 5 Jul 2014 at 8:02pm

Tripper have you come down off the acid trip yet?

mothart's picture
mothart's picture
mothart Saturday, 5 Jul 2014 at 9:19pm

Have you gone back in time udo? That is the second thead in a row I've read from 2010 that you've rehashed. I know it's W over here and your bored so listen to this stupid idea.

Maybe more for a tow board..,

So the fins are way further up, side ones anyway, maybe another 6" to 1' forward, right on the rails, & way bigger, @45*, there are some smaller ones closer to the tail, still right on the rail, maybe more upright. Then I reckon a small stabilizer right on the tail.
Don't reckon it would work as a paddle one, as you'd hit the fins on the end of your stroke...

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 6 Jul 2014 at 11:17am

Yeah mothart..... Udo watches re runs of early "neighbours", "prisoner", and "married with children" ;)

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 6 Jul 2014 at 12:05pm

Only watch the Beverley hillbillies .
And only after 3 billies.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Sunday, 6 Jul 2014 at 9:32pm

hey tripper check out the chief ... http://vimeo.com/48631493

tripper's picture
tripper's picture
tripper Monday, 7 Jul 2014 at 8:57am

This is hilarious. Nice rehash!

I'd completely forgotten about this board. Had to dig through 4 years worth of accumulated hoarding to find the folder it was in. But find it I did!
Well...maybe I was on a trip haha. I was in Bunbury WA at the time, and had recently been to the woods at Balingup. But I reckon it just might work. It is finless, but has a very specific bulbous convex channel situation underneath. Think of like 2 upside down squids, joined together in the middle, without massive flaps, so that either way you ride it you have an effective "fin" at the end.
That probably doesn't make sense, and by a lot of the earlier comments when I first posted, people thought I was an idiot. But hey, just like that awesome Video about the Chief (Cheers Floyd for sharing), it's sometimes just as good to prove what doesn't work!

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Monday, 7 Jul 2014 at 12:17pm

Glad you enjoyed the link tripper .... very funny. Sent that to a long term shaper I know and didn't get a reply ..... which of course made it even funnier.

In all seriousness there is a surf dvd which, in part, discusses design other than 3fins. Briefly it features a finless board as you describe massive deep channel with the rails with very sharp inner edges acting as the fins. The board dates back to the 70s I think. Also check out what Mr Hynd does on finless boards @ youtube .... now that's tripping.