big chambered wood fish

deadset's picture
deadset started the topic in Sunday, 7 Feb 2010 at 1:24am

Hey there.
I am about to start shaping a big fish from paulownia wood. Its going to be 6'10" ish. I was thinking of going as wide as possible. I have a possible width of 24". How wide do people think is too wide?
I want this board to have as much body as possible for surfing mush and small point breaks in SE queensland and N NSW ( I have short boards already and I don't want to buy a mal).
P.s
I am 6'2" and I have a pretty long reach so wide should be ok for me.

speedneedle's picture
speedneedle's picture
speedneedle Sunday, 7 Feb 2010 at 2:09am

That width would certainly pick up waves easily and carry over flat spots. While I've never gone that wide, a rule of thumb is to relate the shape to a smaller board in proportion...i.e blown up in every dimension.

Common sense says that there is a limit however, and its the point where your foot size starts to become miniaturized. I.e...you won't be able to leverage the thing rail-to-rail.

Your height suggests that you would also have big feet...but I have not made anything wider than 21 for myself with size 13 foot. So you might be flying blind, unless bigfoot comes forward to testify!

Also, in chambered pawlonia the thing will not be light. It'll be a battleship. Plenty of momentum, but you will have to consider design elements such as rocker and fin placement to make it able to turn at all.

Josh

deadset's picture
deadset's picture
deadset Sunday, 7 Feb 2010 at 4:52am

Thanks Josh,
Um I too have size 13's so thats good advice.
I have surfed a friend's 6'8 fish at watego beach and that went really well in big wind swell mush. I might do as you say and just upsize his dimensions.
As far as the weight goes I am going to spot glue the planks to rough shape then bust it apart and chamber the wood before doing the final glue up.
Anthony

speedneedle's picture
speedneedle's picture
speedneedle Sunday, 7 Feb 2010 at 7:15am

Not a problem Anthony.

Relate your foot size to the tail width and fin placement...i.e if you have a super-wide tail, have the fins still near your toe and heel rather than the rail.

Good luck with it.

Josh

deadset's picture
deadset's picture
deadset Monday, 8 Feb 2010 at 12:30am

Thanks Josh.
Thats good thinking about the fins.
I am also planning a vee or convex out thru the fins, a swallow to break up the wide tail and soft rails.
Anthony

sir-yehudi-wooody-the-75-1-2th's picture
sir-yehudi-wooo... Monday, 8 Feb 2010 at 4:32am

Gidday Anthony.
Just wondering if you are aware of the Tree to Sea wooden surfboard builders site.

Here is a link.
Link

deadset's picture
deadset's picture
deadset Monday, 8 Feb 2010 at 9:09am

G'day
Yeah I have looked a tree to sea.
Its a good site. They mostly focus on hollow wood as opposed to chambered boards which I am interested in.
I tried to join so I could post this topic but when I got to the authentication bit where you read the squirly letters and write them in, i could not make them out no matter how many times I refreshed...any tips? maybe its a Mac/ PC thing?
Anthony

sir-yehudi-wooo... Wednesday, 10 Feb 2010 at 7:42am

Trea to sea can be a difficult site to join, I know someone who tried several times and 6 weeks later got a reply.
Maybe you could try registering using a computer that has windows.
I would recommend you read the chambered paulownia builds by Touchwood, Surfinggreen, Msearider and Pete James Six Six raw.