Making the Jump

ACB__'s picture
ACB__ started the topic in Friday, 13 Dec 2013 at 10:40am

Howdy,

I've been riding a dominator (6"0) for a year now, enjoying that volume and fat ass through the very average small waves we've had throughout the majority of this year. ( northern syd + south coast surfer).

However after moving to Narrabeen / Mona, and last weeks ( early December 2013's) magical swell, I'm looking to get something a bit more responsive, snappy, faster and lighter, to take my surfing up a few notches ( I'd call myself an intermediate surfer - few barrells, snaps on close outs, floaters and a few sloppy roundhouse's.)

What's SwellNet currently riding to up their performance? Looking to ride in 4-8ft.

5"7 Activator?
5' 11" Mayhem?
5"10 JS FORGET ME NOT SQUASH?

What sort of board is best for making the jump from being okay to throwing some heat around.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 13 Dec 2013 at 3:31pm

activator seems like it would be easy transition which is important especially after riding the dom for so many years.
The JS looks like a good board, more pro performance and possibly harder transition though it might be better for proper good waves im guessing.
The mayhem rocket? they are apparently pretty good too, nice shape and rocker. pretty different to those other two.

Two real types of quivers- multi genre quiver or similar design quiver.
Multi includes fish, performance, guns mals etc. (like Rasta)
Pros- fun, board for every day whatever its like, refreshing, can be good for your surfing, stay fit as with a sup or mal you surf no matter how flat it is.

Negs -can mess with your style going between different style boards, can be hard to adjust or get confident on a board you hardly ride if the surf gets critical.

Similar board quiver- like Parko he likes his boards similar and predictable.
Pros- confidence in your equipment, no messing around with all the hoohah
negs- miss out on the different styled boards , like a bonzer or fish glide feeling and style that goes with riding them.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 13 Dec 2013 at 4:39pm

jump to the roy stewart 'chieftan hydrofoil'.

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Friday, 13 Dec 2013 at 6:48pm
udo wrote:

Thanks brahh.. Was thinking of taking some advice from a pro.. http://www.surf-shop.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/slater-surfing-a-tab...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 13 Dec 2013 at 9:49pm

What do you weigh?

You say you currently ride a Dominator 6 x 20.5 x 2.5 @ 34.8L

An Activator sounds like a good board to suit your needs described as a Dominator 2.0 but at 5,7 x 19.5 x 2.25 @ 27.4L? Thats quite a big difference 7.4L less foam.

What Mayhem board?...I have a Mayhem stealth, but havent made my mind up on it yet.

JS...nice shapes, but would you really go back to riding a PU board after riding a quality sandwich epoxy construction....whats your Dominator in rapid fire or FST, IMO FST is three times as good as rapid fire easily worth the extra $.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 13 Dec 2013 at 9:52pm
udo wrote:

Got to give it to him for thinking outside the box.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 14 Dec 2013 at 12:12am

For sure :)