Surfboard shaping award rate

mandy.hosie's picture
mandy.hosie started the topic in Wednesday, 24 Jul 2019 at 10:46am

I need help from anyone who has a shaping business. My son has been doing work exp with a sole shaper, they've both benefitted from this.
Now we would like to make the work experience into a part time job/traineeship. Does anyone know if theres an award/pay rate that is used in this industry.? We cannot find info anywhere. Thanks Sorry if Ive posted in the wrong forum....

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 25 Jul 2019 at 9:36am

Good question! I'm sure the Australian Surf Craft Industry Association would have had some info on this, but they haven't been active for a few years.

​​​​​​​https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Nonprofit-Organization/Australia...

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 25 Jul 2019 at 9:53am

Spoke to a very big Sydney shaper recently and he's taken on a bunch of apprentices under the resurrected apprenticeship scheme, and in fact, there are quite a few shapers also using the program.

The shaper gets government assistance for taking the time to train someone, while your son gets a qualification at the end of it.

Program is promoted through the NSW Department of Industry (are you in NSW?), and I think the course is an Engineering Certificate in Composites, meaning the qualification is applicable in other industries.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Thursday, 25 Jul 2019 at 10:14am
mandy.hosie's picture
mandy.hosie's picture
mandy.hosie Thursday, 25 Jul 2019 at 11:20am

Thanks stunet .. We are in QLD and I did hear about the composites qualification, its only a NSW thing I think, but thats OK.. we have a way around that through school. Appreciate your comments, its a difficult thing to find.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 25 Jul 2019 at 11:26am

A bit on the Composites Qualification in The Surf Industry gets Qualified Article

mandy.hosie's picture
mandy.hosie's picture
mandy.hosie Thursday, 25 Jul 2019 at 11:29am

Thanks for that link also, Ive given that article to the school so hopefully my son can follow. Thanks so much everyone.

bill-poster's picture
bill-poster's picture
bill-poster Thursday, 25 Jul 2019 at 1:14pm

"Thanks so much everyone."

You're welcome. Can we get cheap boards now??