Submitted by emanresu on Mon, 03/18/2019 - 11:41
So I thought I’d teach myself a new skill and also keep an old board out of landfill. Ended up picking up a Bing Dharma at 5’10 and hitting up YouTube for repair tips.
Managed to fix up a couple of dings on the rail and underside with reasonable success, and did an ugly as sin but watertight fin box repair too.
Now the trickiest part has been repairing a decent sized deck delam under the back foot. Have cut and filled it and am preparing to get some glass down, but my question is around how much overlap I should be going for where the patch meets the existing glass. I’m using a 5oz basalt integra hex cloth as a deck patch, with a 6oz glass cloth over the top.
If anyone has any advice on overlap margins - either a straight X inches/cm, or a ratio to the size of the patch that would be awesome.
Cheers - Jess
Photo didn’t work , mate. Sounds like a good project.
Hey eman, if you click 'share' on your flickr pic it brings up some options. Select and right click to copy the bb code. Paste it in the forum.
Get rid of the code at the front and back so it just leaves the jpg bit bookended with [img] and [/img].
Yeah struggling hard to get a pic up - I think if you copy & paste the below into a new browser tab you should see the all the project pics - youhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/164710199@N02/
yea you need the whole address.https://www.flickr.com/photos/164710199@N02/47355687772/in/dateposted-public/
(not sure why this doesn't work, but as you say just copy and paste the link into the address bar)
As for advice, I'm not qualified, but having fibreglassed a board that was snapped in half back together, I found that youtube and google are helpful.
My theory was, "it can always be sanded back".
Ah cheers West.
I like the sand it back theory, might go that way myself.
I’m keeping low expectations on how pretty it will end up, I’ll just be happy to keep it usable.
Open to any other hot tips that might help reduce the likelihood or severity of stuff ups with the next step.
Sometimes you just have to have a go yourself, and get that DIY feeling when you're done.
I couldn't just chuck this board. Now it still goes well and there's life in it yet.
Just like a bought one, albeit heavier.
I’m expecting to add a bit of weight too, but hopefully not enough that it’s noticeable.
I dumped a heap of Qcell in the mix, must have been about 2 cups worth.
Your resurrection of a full snap gives me hope though!
Yea I had Qcells plus 6 wood dowels and needed more resin than I budgeted for. I think I did a 6 inch wide cloth on the bottom and a couple of overlaps of cloth on the top. The rails were the hardest part, but you never know till ya have a go.