Quad fin sets

Dingbat2's picture
Dingbat2 started the topic in Tuesday, 3 Jul 2018 at 12:15am

Hi Gurus. experts.weekend warriors
My question is quad fin sets? The back set are to small why ?
They work better with a large front set in the back as well. But all the sets come with small back sets. Rip off

I understand you get that looseness but I want speed with some drive / control. Smooth drive against thruster drive at a pivot point.

I have swapped the small back to the front and the the large front fins to the back works ok , (I had one surf shop sales guy basically go mad at me for doing this.}{ WANKER}
I think they go better with large back and front.
Question
1. Why do they make the back set so much smaller. I have shopped around they are all the same
2. What are the dynamics of this. Whats the reason. Who is to say they are right?
3. My quads are fish type boards
4. Shaper concurred with Me on this problem
FCS/ Macquaire Bank owned Rip off wankers ??

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 7 Jul 2018 at 10:46am

bump..

eel's picture
eel's picture
eel Saturday, 7 Jul 2018 at 4:15pm

4 large fins is going to be very drivey but difficult to turn. I like the Stretch Quad set (medium) and the Mayhem quad set (large) which I am currently using. Both sets have smaller back fins.

If you just want to go fast in a straight line and not do any turns then by all means go for 4 big fins.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 7 Jul 2018 at 5:31pm

1. I guess because it/s what works best for most people, I've messed around a little with different quad fin set ups and never really liked big rears.

2. Nothing is right or wrong, if you like it then thats all that matters, I've experimented heaps with fins and dare i say i prefer moulded fins than fibreglass. (not flimsy plastic though)

3.I don't really ride fishes, so maybe thats why big rear fins never worked for me, i could see how bigger fins could work in wide tail fishes, but id still imagine they are stiff feeling fir most guys.

4. I don't agree, i think its more just what most guys prefer, most guys dig the speed of quads and the very loose feel, smaller fins provide that loose feel.

BTW. You can often buy fins separately, so you might be able to buy a thruster set and buy another rear fin, depends how you like the foil though, not sure if the angle will be different though (can't or how her it's spelt)

Love and hate quads, just to many variables sometimes.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Saturday, 7 Jul 2018 at 5:39pm

Fins can be a mind fuk,played around with heaps of different sets over the years but in the end i always go back to thrusters. Never had that problem with glass ons .Try Mckee' site because he talks about pretty much any combination will work and i think Clam alias camel sometimes talks about his preferences......everything will work to varying degrees .

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 7 Jul 2018 at 6:38pm

The only success I have had with quads is in waist high stuff. I have a Simon 5 Spark that is crazily fast as a quad in those conditions. I hadn't thought of increasing the size of the rear set. I might give it a go. Interesting how our minds narrow the range of possibilities!

pointy's picture
pointy's picture
pointy Saturday, 7 Jul 2018 at 7:21pm

I have a set of Hanalei FTP quads and they are designed to have the small fins up front and the large ones at the rear

They're fast and manoeuvrable but don't have the drive of C-Drives

Dingbat2's picture
Dingbat2's picture
Dingbat2 Tuesday, 10 Jul 2018 at 8:29am

Seems like a lot of different thoughts on the quad question especially in the other retro piece.
From my perspective on the 6.0 swallow fish board with a large rear fin than what is supplied in the sets at times it is not hard to turn at all it just gives you less side / cavatation with more drive and speed.
I think the fin suppliers should have front and back packs available so we can mix and match.
I think that's a reasonable call because we all ride different boards and are different weights with different waves.
Just saying!! For price price they charge we should have choices.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Friday, 13 Jul 2018 at 12:42pm

What about FCS compatible quad set ups for bigger/solid waves, where pumping for speed is less important than control and low drag? Specifically for my 6'10 Desert Storm.

I've been running AM1 fronts and Carver rears, but would like to try something even smaller.