Board for OC + the like.

dandandan's picture
dandandan started the topic in Monday, 26 Feb 2018 at 3:27pm

After such a great season of pushing my boundaries a bit last year at OC (sadly cut short before the Season on The Bukit could come to any kind of closure that felt good), I'm ordering up a board for this year.

I'm looking at something in the 8 foot range and have put myself in the waiting line for a board from Mitchell Rae.

What do the OC regulars on here use once the corner starts working?

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Tuesday, 27 Feb 2018 at 12:57pm

Just spent half an hour on the phone with Mitch - 8' x 20" x 2 3/4". First new board in a few years and couldn't be more excited to get this one out through the cave!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 27 Feb 2018 at 1:03pm

Could suggest some other shapers, but really, none are gonna come better credentialled than Mitchell Rae.

Performance aside, you're guaranteed a fine piece of craftmanship.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Tuesday, 27 Feb 2018 at 1:14pm

Pretty much what I thought. I've had a 6'6" from Mitch for years and it's a definite favorite, and given that on most days along the Ulus reefs there's more than a handful of Outers stroking into set waves I feel very good about it.

Definitely a bit wider than I've gone before, but I'm caring less and less about numbers these days and willing to take on some of the wisdom of the people who've been there and done that for more than a couple of decades. Last time he twisted my arm to go a few inches longer and I'm glad he did!

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 27 Feb 2018 at 7:11pm

I’m not an OC regular but you Could even go thicker for an 8’0”.
I’m getting excited for this season too, post a pic up once you get it ddd

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Tuesday, 27 Feb 2018 at 3:39pm

In Mitch's words: "I reckon we should go every bit of 2 and three quarters..."

I'm weighing in at about 75 at the moment, and tend to lose a few if I am there for more than a month, so there'll be plenty of foam there but not enough that I won't be able to get my rail in. Can't come soon enough! Barely had a surf over shoulder high since coming back to Tassie..

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 27 Feb 2018 at 3:44pm

Ditto GF, DDD.

Photos please.

eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies Tuesday, 27 Feb 2018 at 5:34pm

You getting one of his flex tails dan ?

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Tuesday, 27 Feb 2018 at 7:23pm

I wish mate - too far out of my reach at the moment $$$ wise. I'd love to have one of those out in some big walls. My 6'6" is one of those V stringers and it rides really well. Just gone a standard stringer for this board.

freddieffer's picture
freddieffer's picture
freddieffer Wednesday, 28 Feb 2018 at 12:01pm

Somehow with the $$ Dan you gotta go 8'0" OI flex for OC. You won't regret it as you'll be blown away with the difference.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 28 Feb 2018 at 12:32pm

The Difference being ?
7'8 moonraker at Agnes waters for $600 - gumtree

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Friday, 6 Apr 2018 at 11:38am

Board is done (photo in the link below)! I kind of handed over control to Mitchell on dimensions after explaining to him my desire to surf the bigger swells along the Bukit's lefts with more confidence.

Not yet in my hands so can't say how it feels under the arm, but I'm already daydreaming about riding it on all the waves I didn't scratch into last year.

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/29694536_2103446799670639_...

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 6 Apr 2018 at 11:51am

Beautiful board, lovely proportions, almost a shame to wax it.

What were the final dims?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 6 Apr 2018 at 4:20pm

Yes ...very nice..more Info more pics please DDD
Where the hell has Albertinelli gone ?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 6 Apr 2018 at 6:17pm

Very nice Dan.
Well done, hope you score some nice big walls on it