Removing "Surf Safe" device from my board

groundswell's picture
groundswell started the topic in Friday, 19 May 2017 at 12:57pm

Hi since i put this device in my old favourite firewire it just doent surf the same as its added weight to the board.
Also the battery seems not to charge easily so i think its useless.

Do you think i can repair/remove the device and fill in the empty cavity with some EPS or polystyrene, then epoxy over the top?
This used to be my fave board but now isnt due to the added weight.
Should i attempt to remove the device, wither at a shapers shed or by myself?
Or sell the bloody thing.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 19 May 2017 at 1:29pm

Bump. Perplexed about how to approach this.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 19 May 2017 at 1:34pm

What the bloody hell is it? 

A surf safe device? Is it like a Road Speed Limiter for trucks?

Does it restrict your re-entries to 10 o'clock, to make sure you're fully in control?

Perhaps it limits the time in the barrel to three seconds, lest the curtain chandelier and temporarily block your view. 

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 19 May 2017 at 2:00pm

Haha nah its a shark deterrent device i bought when i was going to gracetown a lot for trips.
The new model is interchangable between boards but this old one is epoxied into the board with the cable and electrode thing up towards to nose.

It could be my health making me surf bad too. But it doesnt seem to paddle or surf like it used to. harder to get int steeper waves and harder to carve. Although the waves around here a lot heavier than lefthanders, gallows and cobblestones where i used to ride this thing a lot.
I might keep it in for a while and see for sure. My surfer friends around here say i shouldnt notice it as it was such a light board before now its only a bit heavier.

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Friday, 19 May 2017 at 2:49pm

I reckon you could easily replace it with EPS and Epoxy over it. But I wouldn't think there would be enough weight in it to affect your surfing