MP shaped CONNEXION surfboards

Agate's picture
Agate started the topic in Friday, 12 Aug 2016 at 11:56pm

Hi swellnet I am hoping to piece together some of the story of a board that I have surfed for a few years but only recently discovered what it was. The board was covered in paint and needed some repairs to get back in the water. It surfed great and is a interesting shape so l had always wondered who shaped it. What I found was as big a rush as any wave I've had. Michael Peterson " winter model" about 7"2' I had just finished the first MP book by Sean Doherty but there is no mention of MP and Connexion surfboards. Found the basics about the label but wondering if anyone could share any infomation.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 13 Aug 2016 at 6:21am

Got a pic?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 13 Aug 2016 at 6:52am

Hohensee Connexion - shaped by Michael Peterson circa 1972 - Surf research.
Greg Clough had a label 'connexion' around 1978 ?

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Saturday, 13 Aug 2016 at 8:18am

Connexion was Sunny Coast based late 60s....GC was there but made his way to Sydney via Crescent.Not sure if MP was shaping fulltime if its a sunny coast Connexion.Any logos?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 13 Aug 2016 at 8:29am

Yep, need photos. Dating the logos will help enormously. I know two guys who a MP experts and 'should' be able to trace it from good quality shots.

Agate's picture
Agate's picture
Agate Saturday, 13 Aug 2016 at 6:18pm

Working on getting photos up. The logo on the deck is damaged "Shaped by xxxdingxxx Peterson" but "MP #35 WINTER MODEL" written on the blank near the fin. Beautiful swirling pin lines on the decal but the ding is perfectly over " Michael".

Agate's picture
Agate's picture
Agate Sunday, 14 Aug 2016 at 10:56pm

Here comes some pics..

Agate's picture
Agate's picture
Agate Sunday, 14 Aug 2016 at 10:56pm

Here comes some pics..

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Monday, 15 Aug 2016 at 3:44pm

I've just read that GC moved Connexion to the Goldy in around 1971,MP shaped for different people at different times.(Joe Larkin/Aragon/and probably more)So your Winter model is wNorth PLENTY.IF you ever wanted/needed cash the Vintage Surfboard Collectors group on Facebook is the place.

Agate's picture
Agate's picture
Agate Tuesday, 16 Aug 2016 at 5:06pm

Couldn't part with it, bit of a favourite when it was covered in paint, now I like it even more. Showed a local shaper today. very similar rails to a 10ft + gun he had just glassed.
Definitely shaped between 1971-73.
Will post some photos on the Vintage Surfboard collectors group page on facebook (don't think the photos posted here have worked)
Cheers

wally's picture
wally's picture
wally Tuesday, 16 Aug 2016 at 6:50pm

I think these are 3 of the photos you wanted to post.