Shortboard Single Fin box with option as a quad

rule303's picture
rule303 started the topic in Friday, 11 Mar 2016 at 7:21pm

Hey Lads,
Can this configuration work the closest i have found is http://www.mctavish.com.au/surfboard/scooter#
Only difference is the concave/vee on the tail and tail type

I am looking at 6'6 x 20 1/2 x 3

If anyone has come across a single/quad option board let me know.
If anyone wants to say why it would never work let me know why

Obviously this set up is not meant for high performance surfing.It would be my daily board 1-5ft
I have had a few fishes that were 5 plug set ups and would have loved the option of putting a single in them,
still might get a box put in.

But I am in the market for getting a new custom so I am trying to find what i want as weird as it is.

Thanks for all info you may provide

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Friday, 11 Mar 2016 at 8:43pm

Takyama Scorpion!....or a McCoy Astronomy Blob(did I spell that wrong?) with .the fin named after a bird,maybe a goosefin?BUT I may have spelt that wrong too!

Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu's picture
Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu's picture
Hako o hakonde ... Saturday, 12 Mar 2016 at 5:31am

Same reason IMO that 5 box boards don't work that well , the difference between quad and tri is different bottoms, so same with a single, yes it is rideable but it's a compromise, you could put 10 fins in and it would be still rideable .
Then again maybe I'm to fussy, if it feels okay to you, it works:-)

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 12 Mar 2016 at 1:52pm
rule303 wrote:

Hey Lads,
Can this configuration work the closest i have found is http://www.mctavish.com.au/surfboard/scooter#
Only difference is the concave/vee on the tail and tail type

I am looking at 6'6 x 20 1/2 x 3
If anyone has come across a single/quad option board let me know.
If anyone wants to say why it would never work let me know why

Obviously this set up is not meant for high performance surfing.It would be my daily board 1-5ft
I have had a few fishes that were 5 plug set ups and would have loved the option of putting a single in them,
still might get a box put in.

But I am in the market for getting a new custom so I am trying to find what i want as weird as it is.

Thanks for all info you may provide

There might be an issue with tail width. If it is wide enough for a quad to function it might be too wide for the single and make it likely to spin out or stall in turns.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 12 Mar 2016 at 2:32pm

The issue for me would be.......the cost
One thousand two hundred and ninety five dollars
fuck that.

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Saturday, 12 Mar 2016 at 4:42pm

Thanks for the input lads, just pleased my crazy concept does exist, will check out links

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 12 Mar 2016 at 4:49pm

These single/ qad option is the latest craze . And for good reason , any one can take the board & have a lot of options , certainly creating a small degree of hi performance loss but gaining in options . So if you go traveling & you cracked your fin out - then you go & change the fin setup & go back out to surf . Think how handy that is if your on a mentawai boat trip or something . U travel with far less boards but have way more options for different conditions . If you aren't capable of changing the fins then u lose , but if u want to u can ride a single with sides & qad on the same day or a singley or a twin . Or finless !

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Saturday, 12 Mar 2016 at 5:39pm

Caml any shapers not mentioned, your aware of that are doing these type of boards.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 12 Mar 2016 at 5:56pm

Nearly every board maker in the world is doing these single/quad setups .ive seen it on instagram during the last 6 months theyre everywhere ! The biggest new craze going

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Saturday, 12 Mar 2016 at 6:06pm

Lol I need to step outside swellnet occasionally, I dont have instagram or facebook or any social media

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 12 Mar 2016 at 6:17pm

Become a instagram slut its easy : example. pirate agenda surf vessels instagram..
no need to join up ...just view it all.
Simon Anderson - Bobbers and sinkers -jarrah lynch- sam smith stuff

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 12 Mar 2016 at 6:21pm

Udo what is your instagram name ? You follow sam hey

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 12 Mar 2016 at 6:27pm

Just a looker Caml...not on insta.
Love Sams boards and sprays....the quality that comes out of old shed in the dusty far west is unbelievable.

Rjb's picture
Rjb's picture
Rjb Saturday, 12 Mar 2016 at 7:33pm

Hey Rule I saw this board on McTavish site 3 years ago and as a 60 year old thought it might suit gutless summer windswell but didn't have that much to spend. Went to my local shaper, mapped it out on n computer and built 6'8" x 21" x 2/12". Could have gone 2 to 4 inches shorter but it paddles unreal, accelerates quickly and cruises through flat sections. Cost just more than half big name design. Got 5 plugs and rode it as thruster, quad and twin fin but definitely best as quad. Keep thickness down and you can still sink the rails because width throughout length of board provides heaps of volume. Obviously goes better in lined up waves as not quick direction changer but can grovel through summer slop. Keep rocker low but put in some tail lift. Hope this helps.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 12 Mar 2016 at 7:53pm
udo wrote:

Just a looker Caml...not on insta.
Love Sams boards and sprays....the quality that comes out of old shed in the dusty far west is unbelievable.

That's true he does . But I know you are because you said you were a ghost follower last month

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Sunday, 13 Mar 2016 at 6:26pm
Rjb wrote:

Hey Rule I saw this board on McTavish site 3 years ago and as a 60 year old thought it might suit gutless summer windswell but didn't have that much to spend. Went to my local shaper, mapped it out on n computer and built 6'8" x 21" x 2/12". Could have gone 2 to 4 inches shorter but it paddles unreal, accelerates quickly and cruises through flat sections. Cost just more than half big name design. Got 5 plugs and rode it as thruster, quad and twin fin but definitely best as quad. Keep thickness down and you can still sink the rails because width throughout length of board provides heaps of volume. Obviously goes better in lined up waves as not quick direction changer but can grovel through summer slop. Keep rocker low but put in some tail lift. Hope this helps.

Thanks RJB, Im in my 40's getting no pleasure out of shortboards in local conditions,, thanks for your post and I to will be visiting a local shaper.

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Sunday, 13 Mar 2016 at 6:37pm

Came across this chart over the weekend
The optimal fin setup for a wave type
http://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/8193-the-best-fin-setup-for-a-particu...