The point on an iconoclastic wooden thing

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart started the topic in Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 2:36pm

Wooden surfboard riding

Sliding The Point with hollow wooden surfboard and tunnel fin.

Posted by Roy Stuart on Tuesday, 1 September 2015

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 3:19pm

Ah, I read it as "The point of an iconoclastic wooden thing".

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 3:40pm

Indeed, a brilliantly ambiguous title it is. :)

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 4:11pm

Nice waves, looks like a fun board to surf in small fat waves.
Is that a leg rope you're wearing Roy?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 4:32pm

Sorry Roy, with respect but I think that thing looks like a bit of a pig. I could think of a dozen different shapes I'd like to ride in those waves. I'm sure the craftmanship is excellent and it's very pretty to look at but those are some pretty fun looking waves and that board doesn't seem to do them justice.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 4:42pm

I especially enjoyed the part where the drop in accelerated away from him at a great rate of knots.

It's Not often that the vast gulf between advertising hyperbole and undeniable reality are as starkly exposed as in that little clip.

Looks like you were having fun on a beautiful day though , Roy.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 5:30pm

I like the lines that board drew

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 5:48pm

I reckon you'd be struggling to walk into any cash converters and not find a board that drew those lines.

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 7:02pm

Well chaps there's some thrustering visible at the beginning if that's what you prefer.

Thanks Freeride.

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 7:03pm
zenagain wrote:

that board doesn't seem to do them justice.

It had never occurred to me that sliding waves is a matter of Justice... what a novel thought.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 7:10pm

Roy did you end up sending a demo board to Caml or Heath Joske ?

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 7:11pm
Blowin wrote:

I especially enjoyed the part where the drop in accelerated away from him at a great rate of knots.

I didn't want to make contact... made the wave though, in spite of the interference.

:)

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 7:16pm
udo wrote:

Roy did you end up sending a demo board to Caml or Heath Joske ?

Not yet, I wasn't happy with the ten footer. More work to be done.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 7:22pm

Nice video Roy, Would have been nice to dee some footage not so zoomed showing a bit more wave face to see what the boards capabilities are seems like a big cruiser. Looked like someone dropped in on you at the 2.30 mark did you give him a dressing down?

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 7:25pm

Roy did I see you wearing a leg rope?

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 7:28pm

Thanks junkie.

Yeah an SUP fatso dropped in, I just stayed with the wave, he went away after a while. I don't complain about being dropped in on unless it's done dangerously.

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 7:29pm
Wharfjunkie wrote:

Roy did I see you wearing a leg rope?

That's right.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 7:34pm

Always good to watch something distinctively different. If you don't mind me asking Roy whats the dimensions of the board and whats the idea/theory behind the tunnel fin?

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 7:48pm
Wharfjunkie wrote:

Always good to watch something distinctively different. If you don't mind me asking Roy whats the dimensions of the board and whats the idea/theory behind the tunnel fin?

She's 10'5" by 27" by 2.25", weight's about 25 pounds. Light single concave nose to tail, constant rail section. The tunnel provides planing lift without having to have a wide tail, plus some drive, without affecting the single fin feel.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 8:18pm

Good on ya Roy. Looks like your having fun in & out of the water. Last time I checked, that was the name of the game. Carry on regardless.....

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 9:30pm
Roy Stuart wrote:
zenagain wrote:

It had never occurred to me that sliding waves is a matter of Justice... what a novel thought.

Please excuse my poor choice of words Roy. I had a great surf this arvo, overhead, bit sideshore but fun nonetheless. Shamefully, I rode my 6'5" but in my 40 years of surfing I think I can be cut a little slack for going a bit longer;) Call me old fashioned but I did a few turns too. You should try it, it feels really nice:)

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 10:07pm

When you are done with turns u can just ride the wave turns are a bit hyped up kids

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 10:12pm

Sure, but the glide aint all it's cracked up to be either;)

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 10:31pm

It's more about the wave than you but zen . Beginners get just as stoked as experts . Its really about the wave folks roy is cool with out turns

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 10:49pm

Never said he wasn't cool Caml.

I suppose my first mistake was saying that in my not so expert opinion, that the lovely handmade work of art he was riding was a pretty good example of form over function. Others might and are entitled to disagree.

And as for being all about the wave? You are so right about that.

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 5:19am
zenagain wrote:
Roy Stuart wrote:
zenagain wrote:

Please excuse my poor choice of words Roy. I had a great surf this arvo, overhead, bit sideshore but fun nonetheless. Shamefully, I rode my 6'5" but in my 40 years of surfing I think I can be cut a little slack for going a bit longer;) Call me old fashioned but I did a few turns too. You should try it, it feels really nice:)

I was a shortboarder for 21 years, so I know the feeling.

You on the other hand, have never ridden a board of the type seen in the video, so you don't know how it feels.

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 5:23am
zenagain wrote:

Never said he wasn't cool Caml.

I suppose my first mistake was saying that in my not so expert opinion, that the lovely handmade work of art he was riding was a pretty good example of form over function. Others might and are entitled to disagree.

And as for being all about the wave? You are so right about that.

Actually as the designer I can state absolutely that these designs have always been 100% about function.

Some people find them to be ugly and strange looking, and in the beginning so did I, but I made them anyway because function demanded it.

Handsome is as handsome does, which is why I now like the way they look.

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 5:30am
caml wrote:

When you are done with turns u can just ride the wave turns are a bit hyped up kids

That's true.

What I find funny though is how people think that I'm not turning. I just tend not to do turns for the sake of them, but I'm still turning and longer turns on long railed heavy equipment feel good to me.

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 5:32am
zenagain wrote:

Sure, but the glide aint all it's cracked up to be either;)

Individual preference isn't it?

Turning while gliding, now there's something.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 7:38am
/ wrote:

I was a shortboarder for 21 years, so I know the feeling.

You on the other hand, have never ridden a board of the type seen in the video, so you don't know how it feels.

That's true Roy, but I don't shortboard exclusively, I have a range of boards from a 5'4" twin keel up to a an ancient 60's mal 10 footer that weighs a ton and glides like a mo-fo.

Also, I never said your boards are ugly, I think they are quite beautiful and are truly works of art.

You are right, I will probably never ride a board like that in the clip but would of course love to give it a go. But if I've hit a raw nerve by thinking that that board in the clip doesn't appear to go particularly well in that fun looking point surf I apologise.

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 11:17am

Zen after 20 plus years of building this kind of board i think I've heard just about everything comment wise, including the full range from extreme enthusiasm to extreme abuse, so the nerves are pretty much immune.

Whether or not a board goes well depends upon what one wants it to do, so if the board doesn't do what you want to do on a wave, but does what the designer intended then it goes well but doesn't suit your taste.

No apology needed, and thanks for commenting.

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 12:04pm

how does the bd go when it gets hollow?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 12:11pm

Fair enough Roy. Good point.

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 12:29pm
sharkman wrote:

how does the bd go when it gets hollow?

I only get tubed now and then but over the years have had a few epic ( for me anyway) beachbreak pits on the Ghost boards and on a flatter 9 foot version of the board in the clip, and they've handled beautifully. They don't 'lock in' or have any handling issues, they just seem to go better.

The tube capabilities of the current top shortboarders and their gear are stupendous as we all know, but as far as longboards go they are good for the hollow stuff I reckon.

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 1:26pm

I was just wondering how you would get a 10 6 in a barrel?

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 1:46pm

Lol ask Camel :)

I've ridden a 13'9' in smaller barrels a few times, length isn't an issue as long as the board can adjust the line, although having seen the barrel threading done on the tour it's obvious that shorter boards do have an advantage.

The bigger the barrel the better I suppose, not speaking from experience on that one.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 2:03pm

10'6s seem to fit in barrels at Puerto

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 2:13pm

The board looks beautiful and there is no doubting your craftsmanship Roy but personally I wouldn't surf with you on a board that size. For the same reasons I don't surf with mals, SUPs or skis or more than just a few shortboarders. Its a law of physics thing coupled with the memory of copping an old heavy mal in the back and spending the next fortnight in bed followed by months at the physiotherapist. My guess is most would give you a very wide berth in the water.

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 2:32pm

Not really Floyd, I just fit into the lineup like anyone else, I am very careful though and don't take risks if there isn't a clear path... which can limit the wave choice a bit when there are lots of shortboarders on the inside. I take safety pretty seriously partly through having surfed in crowds with no leash for so many years.

I think that old mals are a bit of a menace unless in very skilled hands. My boards, although they are pretty big and heavy, have the advantage of excellent control, they can be turned from the trimming position without walking pretty much anywhere, not hacks obviously but nice reliable control when avoiding paddlers, and they don't spin out.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 4:13pm

:)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 7:04pm

The trip in life is the journey in life.
This is why I myself appreciate life.
Different strokes for different blokes, which is a little weird, as there are ladies involved.

I say different minds for different finds;)

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Friday, 11 Sep 2015 at 12:34pm

life = trouble and strife = wife ?