Hydrophobic coatings on surfboards.

udo's picture
udo started the topic in Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 11:33am

Is it worth experimenting with hydrophobic coatings on the bottom of surfboards, you probably all seen the footage of the coating put on a wall in Germany to repel urine ....pee on a wall and it sprays back at you.

The coatings are probably not durable enough for a surfboard application...now they have developed a microscopic laser patterning technique that they cut into metal that totally repels liquid [ on interesting eng.com] so I guess it can be used on other materials.
Don't know how you would start to experiment - apply it to fins
or just one side of fins
just the rail line of a surfboard
or only the concave area
on a channel bottom only the channels
under the nose area on a big wave gun
Hyrdophobic coatings - total opposite of what we have with the wet rub water attractant finish........worth looking into anyone think ?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 11:40am

Webber , start thinking.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 11:42am

Check out nanotune for surfboards, meant to last 3 months.

I got a board about 9 months ago that had it on as a stock finish. I would normally be pretty sus on something like that but I got to tell you it was the fastest board I had ever had. Recently i got wax all over the bottom and have cleaned it off and wet and dried the bottom and rails, have been surfing like this for a about 2 weeks. It feels OK but definitely not as lively as before.

So, I am about to buy some nanotune this weekend and re-apply to see if it brings the board back.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 11:43am

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 11:42am

Worth a try. But would it lose hold?

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 6:39pm

"As a guide, using 360 grade sandpaper will usually get you a hydraulically smooth surface."

"Beading of water droplets has nothing to do with water friction, it is a surface tension effect. Products that encourage beading are unlikely to make the surface smoother."

Taken from here: http://www.fsc.com.au/cproot/1076/3/kim-klaka-how-smooth-a-bottom.pdf

The racing yacht community has done WAY more research into this stuff, and these are the same conclusions noted time and time again. Surfboards are just hulls, and it's why your board is finished like it is ...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 6:56pm

Is the common final finish 1200 ?

bigtreeman's picture
bigtreeman's picture
bigtreeman Sunday, 12 Apr 2015 at 9:20pm

I use lanolin on my (wooden) boards. Very water resistant, great for grip. Probably work on plastic boards. It builds up a wax coating after a number of applications, then I rub in a coat with 1200 wet and dry for a smooth finish.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 12 Apr 2015 at 10:06pm

Thats sheep stuff bigtreeman:)
Good ol Lanolin.............

bigtreeman's picture
bigtreeman's picture
bigtreeman Monday, 13 Apr 2015 at 7:55am

Goes on liquid, takes a while to dry to a wax, it's a gradual build up process. It sticks like shit to a blanket. Also used for rust inhibiting, lasts a year on bare steel in the weather. No more grubby wax on your deck, looks great, bit of a buff with soft cloth comes up to a nice luster, not super shiny. Has a great non-slip feel. My skin looks and feels 10 years younger, hmmm.

louie's picture
louie's picture
louie Wednesday, 12 Aug 2015 at 6:01am

Been surfing hydrophobic boards for a while now. True ,it does only last about 3-4 months. But with a fresh coat, it goes frickin insane! Almost feels like you on a hover board! And the extra speed is insane! Found that just doing the concave part the best. You need rails and fins for grip!!!

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Sunday, 16 Aug 2015 at 9:58pm

It's 'super hydrophobic' and relies on a thin film of air, which isn't really possible on a surfboard.

The speed sensation is probably due to the attention paid to keeping the bottom clean when applying the stuff.

Reducing drag does not reduce 'grip' on fins and rail in fact it increases it so no worries there.