Anyone tested out Jam pacific boards?

simplefinsinlife's picture
simplefinsinlife started the topic in Sunday, 1 Mar 2015 at 2:06pm

I've just rented, and taken a fish (5'8: 19"3/4: 2"3/8) for a spin over the last few days and have loved it. The shaper renting it out is torn between getting more value out of it as a rental, and selling it. Which means he's keen to hold it for another couple of months before parting with it, or wants a ridiculous amount for a 2nd hand board. There is a possibility of picking it up later but in the meantime I'm looking to buy something similar...

Has anyone ridden the "Rainbow Serpent" board from Jam Pacific, or know someone that has? I'm looking at getting the 5'10. It reads well on their site, if not a little wide. Part of the appeal of this board for me is the sturdy glass job, the price tag for a brand spanker, and that it cuts out a wait as they are available immediately (at risk of sounding like a 16 yo).

I'm open to other shapers, second hand boards and a small bump in cash if there are solid recommendations out there...

Thoughts?

drakwatercrab's picture
drakwatercrab's picture
drakwatercrab Saturday, 23 May 2015 at 3:37pm

Hi simplefinsinlife
I got one of these boards last year... the 6'2. Unfortunately it got smashed up a few weeks ago by the airline on my way to Bali... BUGGER!
It rides nice and with the Quad fin set up. if you haven't got a board yet, i would say go for it. If the airline pays for the damages I'm gonna get another one ..... easy as pie :)

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 23 May 2015 at 3:38pm

Good luck getting Air Asia [or any airline] to pay for the damages ...it wont happen.

drakwatercrab's picture
drakwatercrab's picture
drakwatercrab Saturday, 23 May 2015 at 3:43pm
udo wrote:

Good luck getting Air Asia [or any airline] to pay for the damages ...it wont happen.

Really???? Did it happen to you????

SurferFuk's picture
SurferFuk's picture
SurferFuk Saturday, 23 May 2015 at 8:27pm

Heard of blokes in the baggage airline game, purposely smashing surfers boards in soft board bags for fun...!
Arseholes.....

simplefinsinlife Sunday, 24 May 2015 at 2:17pm

Cheers DWC, bummer about your board... I ended up picking up the 5'10 and was riding it as a quad which was pretty fun for a while in small conditions, but any waves that stood up a bit, the board seemed to flat-plane it making it tricky to get any purchase on the rail.

I ended up losing a fin and not having a replacement I chucked a thruster set up in there which helped in bigger surf. Still finding however that given its width, the board skips out on steeper take offs. Having said that, I have still had some cracker waves on it.

Over all the board hasn't quite lived up to the board I originally mentioned (which is sitting in a shop in NZ, all too far out of reach) but has served its purpose in getting me in the water. Got a new stick being made for the 4-8ft range...

What sort of flight prices are reasonable to get to Bali return from Goldie/Brisbane? Been spoilt the last few years living in WA and scoring cheap trips...

drakwatercrab's picture
drakwatercrab's picture
drakwatercrab Sunday, 24 May 2015 at 3:41pm

Hi SFSL
I normal pay around $600 - $700 from the east coast round trip, but if you look around you can get some good deals. Defiantly not as cheap as from WA.

I'm still in the process of trying to get the airline to pay for damages. (Don't think its gonna happen) I contacted Jam to see if there was anything they could to to help me get my claim but unfortunately not much they could do.... But very helpful and did try. I think next time I will keep the box it came in and use it when I'm flying. Put it in a board bag then in the box....

Yeah I tried the thruster set for bigger waves and it was better but yeah i agree with you about the steeper take offs . But as it was a second board I usually took it out on smaller days just to have fun. It served its purpose for me.

Yesterday i went ahead and got 2 boards from the same guys. I got another rainbow serpent on sale and a their twin fin for $299... Crazy price! Should arrive in the next few days. Will see how the twin fin rides.

Are you trying to sell it in NZ? If so what price are you asking and what condition? I have a friend thinking to order one next time in OZ but if he can pick up a second hand one there he may be interested.

drakwatercrab's picture
drakwatercrab's picture
drakwatercrab Sunday, 24 May 2015 at 3:54pm
SurferFuk wrote:

Heard of blokes in the baggage airline game, purposely smashing surfers boards in soft board bags for fun...!
Arseholes.....

For real? I hope not. Would be disappointing and takes my faith away from flying. If they are doing it then the airline better be doing something about it.

grumpy's picture
grumpy's picture
grumpy Monday, 25 May 2015 at 10:20am

Jetstar snapped the nose and tail off my outer island flex tail on the way to Bali few years ago, the bastards put two massive dings in my brand new Angell on the way back from Hawaii last year . Oh to be rich and not to travel poverty Air. The bastards think it's funny , a friend who works for Jetstar said they break boxes of wine as a joke and are told not to fuss over surfboards and other top load items. Air Asia have been much better and have never damaged my boards , have flown with them heaps, must have just been lucky

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 25 May 2015 at 11:14am

grumpy, did you try and get some dollars from Jetstar for the damage ?

Tail repairs to a Flextail.......not cheap or easy.

mick63's picture
mick63's picture
mick63 Monday, 25 May 2015 at 6:08pm

I took some boards on a couple of flights within oz awhile back and when I checked them at the counter with Jetstar I had to sign a waiver against any damage. Came back with Virgin and there was no waiver to sign but they put a fragile label on the handle of the cover. To me it showed a different attitude of care given.

drakwatercrab's picture
drakwatercrab's picture
drakwatercrab Tuesday, 26 May 2015 at 2:19pm

grumpy,

Did they fully snap the nose and tail clean off? I don't understand how they could do that. . They must be throwing them around or something.
Is there a board bag out there that would be better for flying?

Jam Pacific Surfboards's picture
Jam Pacific Surfboards's picture
Jam Pacific Sur... Wednesday, 3 Jun 2015 at 4:50pm

Just came across this thread, thought I might mention that we currently have the 5'10" - 6'2" Rainbow Serpent fish on sale with $100 off the normal price. $499
drakwatercrab - mentioned you were going to get a new one so I thought you would be keen on this.

http://www.jampacific.com/Surfboard_Clearance_Sale_Starting_at_299_All_N...

Cheers guys stoked to hear you enjoy our boards. I'm personally off to Bali next week good thing I'v go t plenty of bubble wrap.

I hope you this is not considered to be spammy, I just want to let you guys know you can save a few bucks.

drakwatercrab's picture
drakwatercrab's picture
drakwatercrab Friday, 5 Jun 2015 at 3:28pm
Jam Pacific Surfboards wrote:

Just came across this thread, thought I might mention that we currently have the 5'10" - 6'2" Rainbow Serpent fish on sale with $100 off the normal price. $499
drakwatercrab - mentioned you were going to get a new one so I thought you would be keen on this.

Cheers guys stoked to hear you enjoy our boards. I'm personally off to Bali next week good thing I'v go t plenty of bubble wrap.

I hope you this is not considered to be spammy, I just want to let you guys know you can save a few bucks.

I already order a new one that was on sale + the twin fin you had on sale. Yes, that was me...Dan. They arrived this week, came a lot quicker then expected.Cheers for that. I've taken both of them out..... Had a bit of fun with them in crappy surf :) Looking farad to some nice waves this weekend.

I didn't get any money from the airline.... bugger! But thanks for trying to help me out with it. How do you plan to pack your boards for your trip to Bali?

drakwatercrab's picture
drakwatercrab's picture
drakwatercrab Friday, 5 Jun 2015 at 3:36pm
drakwatercrab wrote:
Jam Pacific Surfboards wrote:

I already order a new one that was on sale + the twin fin you had on sale. Yes, that was me...Dan. They arrived this week, came a lot quicker then expected.Cheers for that. I've taken both of them out..... Had a bit of fun with them in crappy surf :) Looking farad to some nice waves this weekend.

I didn't get any money from the airline.... bugger! But thanks for trying to help me out with it. How do you plan to pack your boards for your trip to Bali?

I forgot to ask... When will you have more SUP's in? My girl is keen.