Gold Coast Based Shaping Traineeships

keelyward's picture
keelyward started the topic in Monday, 5 Jan 2015 at 5:09pm

Hi Guys,

I am interested in courses/traineeships that will allow me to learn the ropes of board shaping and designs in the Gold Coast area.

Any steer in the right direction would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Keely

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 6 Jan 2015 at 9:41am

Great question Keely. I reckon you're best off contacting Michelle Blauw, who was President of the Australian Surf Craft Industry (ASCIA). Not sure on their current status as their Facebook page hasn't been updated since Sep 2012 though.

Also interesting to notice these House Debates comments from Karen Andrews (McPherson, Liberal Party) in June 2011:

"There are currently discussions underway in relation to formal training for surf craft manufacturing with a view to developing an apprenticeship. We are hoping that this will be based in the Gold Coast. During the lead-up to the 2010 federal election the coalition promised $500,000 to develop appropriate training for surfboard manufacturers and board shapers. This was not matched by Labor; however, the need for formal qualifications in this industry sector remains and must be addressed as a priority. To date the Gold Coast TAFE has shown a keen interest in supporting this industry and the Coolangatta campus is a viable option for training delivery."

What happened here? Obviously, we know that the Coalition didn't win the 2010 federal election, however did they remove this promise when they went to the 2013 federal election?

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Saturday, 24 Jan 2015 at 7:40pm

These guys might know: http://surfcareers.com/

Otherwise, hang around at ya local board builders shed, pick up a broom and start cleaning up ... bit of initiative like that and they'll probably start teaching you stuff ;)

The problem with setting up any 'formal' training system like a trainee-ship or apprenticeship system is the industry will first need to agree on the process, techniques and skills needed ... oh, and probably need to document some things. I'd guess it is a long long way off.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 25 Jan 2015 at 8:03am

" However the need for formal qualifications in his industry sector remains and must be addressed as a priority " ..... Why?

Bureaucratic creep or is there a genuine need ?

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Sunday, 25 Jan 2015 at 9:49am

Goody, I get to post this link again

http://vimeo.com/48631493