Need A shaper To Copy My Favourite Board.

nevertoold's picture
nevertoold started the topic in Tuesday, 30 Dec 2014 at 5:15pm

I've been surfing a channel island New FLYER for about 6 months on and off with my other boards . and the board looks like I've had it for 4 years. Its a U.L 4x4x4 glass job. The board rips!! but the glass job is FUCKED!!! Anyone out there know of a shaper with a machine that might have the file to copy this model. I have seen a model from a shaper called Mike Psilakis with a model called The HIPTER which looks very simular .

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 6 Jan 2015 at 9:29am

I can't imagine anyone'd have the file, y'know, being Channel Islands' Intellectual Property and everything.

But I'm sure if you went to your local shaper and said 'make me somehting like this' they give it their best shot.

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Tuesday, 6 Jan 2015 at 9:50am

Can relate a funny story about a guy bringing in his favorite board to be copied and I mean copied.He wanted every dent every sunken heat affected area top and bottom reshaped in the new board even down to this dirty old paint job and it had to be exact.Was willing to pay top dollar though.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 6 Jan 2015 at 10:38am

Thats bizarre F-G, Ive never heard of that.
Every dent..! Even sunken heat areas.
Did you make him one F-G, how much...?

A guy by the name of Wingnut who comes on here, could be a start, he has a website, anyone...!

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 6 Jan 2015 at 10:40am

Here ya go nevertoold;)

www.ffwsurfboards.com.au

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Tuesday, 6 Jan 2015 at 10:55am

Can't remember the exact price but I remember it was way more than usual and guess what? He didn't like it after we made it."Didn't go the same"was his call.We had a two week turn around deal if you didn't like how it went we would make a newy and chuck the other in the shop to sell.Pretty hard to sell a new board that looked about ten year's old complete nightmare.I think he complained about the paint being to bright also.Yep you used to come across some 'Special' people working in the cottage board industry.

eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies Tuesday, 6 Jan 2015 at 11:00am

hey nevertoold
you can get CI's full catalogue of shapes here in aus now.
so you should be able to get another easy enough.
you can even get most designs customised : ie stronger glass.

hope this helps

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 6 Jan 2015 at 11:04am

'Special'......! Classic stuff
Special pain in the rectum there F-G

What do you classify as the 'Cottage board industry'..?

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Tuesday, 6 Jan 2015 at 11:38am

Why not just go back to CI and order the same board with stronger glass.

oldman's picture
oldman's picture
oldman Tuesday, 6 Jan 2015 at 12:33pm

Just done the same thing nevertoold.
Got a board that rips, but its 6 years old and very tired.
Stress fractures galore, a few repaired dings, a few depressions etc.
Went to a local board maker asking if he could replicate (this board has odd dimensions).
Gotta say he wasnt overly keen, obviously these guys want to make their own mark or design and I understand that.
In the end I agreed to some subtle changes that he assures me will improve the performance.
As he said no two boards will ever be same (I presume he is talking about hand shaped) and I Think this may be true, so be careful about getting someone to copy your board.
I havent picked the new one up yet so I dont know if it will be as good.

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Tuesday, 6 Jan 2015 at 2:56pm
wellymon wrote:

'Special'......! Classic stuff
Special pain in the rectum there F-G

What do you classify as the 'Cottage board industry'..?

Small scale loosely organized doing it for the love and lifestyle.Endless story's of The'Special'one's.Part board maker's part therapist's.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 6 Jan 2015 at 3:13pm

Fraser g, how many times was P.P s 2 week turnaround deal used , a couple per year ?

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Tuesday, 6 Jan 2015 at 5:14pm

Not a great lot Udo from memory even less when the profile machine was brought in. I think mainly the local team guy's or maybe Ben wasn't happy with the type of Blue that was used on his board a couple of time's haha.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 6 Jan 2015 at 7:15pm

Haha! Those blues were unreal, 'specially the rail sprays too.. will try to dig up a photo. Never used the two week rule either.. Had plenty of great boards from Andy and Shane.

damo-b's picture
damo-b's picture
damo-b Tuesday, 6 Jan 2015 at 7:55pm

Depending on nottooold's locale, any shaper with a straight edge, steel ruler, and calipers will be able to model the dimensions of, and reproduce, your favourite shooter. As mentioned in a previous post, many shapers won't want to know about it, but it doesn't hurt to ask. If you're on the Sunshine Coast or Northern beaches- Dee Why area, Surfing Hall of Famer, John Gillis from CET is the man able to replicate a board down to the finest detail. Most shapers with a 3d cnc cutting machine and file creation software can do the job no worries. Hope this helps.

codlips's picture
codlips's picture
codlips Tuesday, 6 Jan 2015 at 9:06pm

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Wednesday, 7 Jan 2015 at 7:40am
wellymon wrote:

Here ya go nevertoold;)

www.ffwsurfboards.com.au

Thanks Welly ... I'm struggling to make the ones for me!

Happy to help anyone learn the process though ... surprisingly a lot easier than expected.

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Wednesday, 7 Jan 2015 at 7:42am
nevertoold wrote:

I've been surfing a channel island New FLYER for about 6 months on and off with my other boards . and the board looks like I've had it for 4 years. Its a U.L 4x4x4 glass job. The board rips!! but the glass job is FUCKED!!! Anyone out there know of a shaper with a machine that might have the file to copy this model. I have seen a model from a shaper called Mike Psilakis with a model called The HIPTER which looks very simular .

You could always order a CI Flyer and have it glassed a bit stronger.

I could be wrong, but I believe "the glasslab" in South Tweed Heads glass them. They could do one in s cloth, or even epoxy. Just remember, any glassing changes will impact how the board goes ...

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 7 Jan 2015 at 3:04pm

Anyone interested in a new firewire board called the Cornice?
http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/surfboards.php?boardid=cornice

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 7 Jan 2015 at 3:23pm

Looks like a snowboard.

Pretty nice waves they had it in, wonder how it would go in sub-optimal surf?

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 7 Jan 2015 at 3:48pm

Interesting Simba
I seen an American guy at Burliegh car park a few years ago with film crew showing it off.
But this one was a 8+ board, same concept same rail line similar to a snowboard like Zen said???
I've been wondering about that concept for awhile.
Shapers out there any thoughts on that style of rail???

nevertoold's picture
nevertoold's picture
nevertoold Wednesday, 7 Jan 2015 at 4:21pm

Hey, Thanks for all the comments. Dambo-b.. Yes.. A shaper that has a 3D cnc cutting machine and file creation. And also a shaper who won't get the shits with shaping a board from another maker. . I will contact John Gillis . Have you got more contact details? Someone that glasses a board with better quality not a cheap production line joby. I could simply get a New flyer with a stronger glass job but it would be to heavy and take away that performance. Just want the same board with a more quality glass job!!!

damo-b's picture
damo-b's picture
damo-b Friday, 9 Jan 2015 at 4:29pm

deleted

nevertoold's picture
nevertoold's picture
nevertoold Wednesday, 7 Jan 2015 at 4:58pm

Thanks Damb-b,
Totally respect about JG.
Sunshine is a little bit to far. If you could or anyone out there suggest more in the Goldy to Newcastle area would be closer.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 19 Oct 2016 at 7:29pm

Simon Anderson 1 insta , Big Simon talks of a rocker difference in cuts when using the same file.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 19 Oct 2016 at 8:17pm

Udo where?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 19 Oct 2016 at 8:37pm

simonanderson1
instagram , 4th pic

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 5 Nov 2016 at 9:29pm

Double stem treatment ?

There was this chick that used to show up after the game at the Albany football club , she used to swear by it.

Not my scene though, to be honest.

discostu's picture
discostu's picture
discostu Monday, 7 Nov 2016 at 6:45pm

Don't like chicks huh Blowin. Now your name frightens me dude.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Monday, 7 Nov 2016 at 7:05pm

Hmmm. Time to relax, Stuey, maybe pop some amyl, and reflect?

"Homophobes should consider a little self-reflection, suggests a new study finding those individuals who are most hostile toward gays and hold strong anti-gay views may themselves have same-sex desires, albeit undercover ones.

The research, published in the April 2012 issue of the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, reveals the nuances of prejudices like homophobia, which can ultimately have dire consequences.

"Sometimes people are threatened by gays and lesbians because they are fearing their own impulses, in a sense they 'doth protest too much'", says Richard Ryan, a professor of psychology at the University of Rochester, "In addition, it appears that sometimes those who would oppress others have been oppressed themselves, and we can have some compassion for them too, they may be unaccepting of others because they cannot be accepting of themselves."

We're all hearing you, Stu-bags. You can come in from the cold, comrade. Swellnet is a broad-church.