Dave Parmenter thanks the hipsters!

stunet's picture
stunet started the topic in Thursday, 11 Sep 2014 at 11:58am

"The hipster trend, while pretentious and smarmy at times, has nonetheless helped in a big way to restore our cottage industry to its former glory. Bottom line: people really seem to appreciate quality now—and if some of the boards are slabs, at least they are works of art."

http://peathead.blogspot.com.au/2014/09/catching-up-with-dave-parmenter.html

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 11 Sep 2014 at 11:59am

Interview with Michael Kew.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Saturday, 13 Sep 2014 at 11:33am

haha, i guess its true.
a while ago swaylocks were saying he was long winded i guess he is but i like reading things like that rather than little bits.And most of what he is saying is good material.

I would love a good Dave P. Widowmaker. Have you ridden one Stu?

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 13 Sep 2014 at 4:04pm

Widowmaker to say the least GS, look great tho.

"biggest offender being quad fins. A hint: Fins are drag until they aren’t…."
Interesting quote by Dave P, where as Lopez says the middle fin on a thruster creates drag...?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 13 Sep 2014 at 9:02pm

would have been good if Kew had asked him to explain that statement

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 15 Sep 2014 at 11:51am

I think i know what he is talking about there, if you land a big drop with fins on the slightly wrong angle you can stop dead for a second or two, that is on a big top to bottom fall landing in the flats, with fins toe in not slicing nicely through the water flow if you know what i mean.
In the flats it shows a lot but landing on the face quads should fly off especially if fins toe on correct angle of water flow.
Ive had both happen quite a bit but the former im not 100% certain it was the quads toe angle or if it was due to using those cheaper composite fins but have stopped at the bottom of big drops.
I cant see how a thruster would go any better though. Keels on a good fish seem to shoot off on the same drops though and easier to get moving.
So i guess im wrong then? keels have more fin area than a set of quads.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 26 Nov 2014 at 9:24pm

Knowing of Dave's proclivity for single fin design and enjoyment; reading of his realisation that he was a single fin surfer at heart after J-Bay in '89 (and coming to similar conclusions myself half a world away not long after) I would say that "fins are drag until they aren't" would refer to the fewer fins one has, the less drag they suffer. The ultimate in planing speed being no fins. This seems to make intuitive sense.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Wednesday, 26 Nov 2014 at 11:16pm

What a load of drag crap. Try speeding down the line without fins!!! Evan if you could hold a line
it still would be slower without fins and also out of turns any weapon head would know the pressure
created by the wave and the force of the fins makes a board accelerate and create speed. Just like
wings on a race car make them faster around corners. Drag can create speed. Luv fins

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 27 Nov 2014 at 1:56am

Finless is remarkably fast in some ways faster down the line

Channel bottoms's picture
Channel bottoms's picture
Channel bottoms Thursday, 27 Nov 2014 at 2:11pm

Evo..you are partly correct. The point being though as the outside fins are angled towards the nose, they create drag unless you keep turning and then the turn will create acceleration again.

Finless can be very fast down the line, as can singles. More fins provides more opportunity to get back the board back to the power of the wave and provide instant acceleration instead of letting the board build speed.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 27 Nov 2014 at 5:37pm

This is the drag debate you warned me of CB.

All surfboards are a compromise between outright planing speed and the features needed to control this. I like fin.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 27 Nov 2014 at 6:21pm

I think there is different types of speed and then there is also drive.

1. Down the line speed going across a wave.

2. Momentum going forwards or down a wave.

3. And then speed through turns.

4. Natural speed from your board, just standing there.

5. Rider generated speed, from pumping etc

And then i guess drive is almost about keeping speed or keeping the power behind the speed having some punch behind the speed, hard to put in words.

And then control is a big part of it all.

Personally i prefer a board with fins because a board without fins you may have natural speed or down the line speed, but it takes away much of the ability for the surfer to generate rider generated speed as have to stay so low to the wave to keep control and I think fins let you grip the wave and harness its forward momentum better, finless surfing always looks like the board/surfer is going to get sucked up and loose the wave or get sucked up, stop then drop, kinda like those flow rider wave things.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 27 Nov 2014 at 9:07pm

Definately a funny topic . There are so many different ways to get speed from fins & also without ( fins ) worst scenario is a single fin too big or too blunt / thick foil .try goin down the line with that attached to your board

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 13 Jul 2015 at 2:57am

Just saw some pictures of daves big boy models . Anyone know where he's based these days ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 13 Jul 2015 at 10:20am

caml wrote:

Just saw some pictures of daves big boy models . Anyone know where he's based these days ?

He's in San Luis Obispo, central Cali.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Monday, 13 Jul 2015 at 1:59pm

See Dave's work .....
@ Instagram ALEUTIANJUICE
@ www.nowtro.com

surfstarved's picture
surfstarved's picture
surfstarved Monday, 13 Jul 2015 at 1:07pm

erm, that should be www.nowtro.com I think Floyd...

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Monday, 13 Jul 2015 at 1:58pm
surfstarved wrote:

erm, that should be www.nowtro.com I think Floyd...

Yes, thanks for the correction .... man those boards on his Instagram account just look soon good.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Monday, 13 Jul 2015 at 1:59pm

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 13 Jul 2015 at 3:28pm

Yes how those outlines on the big boys ? Thanks for link .