Help with choosing my next board.

locii's picture
locii started the topic in Sunday, 15 Jun 2014 at 8:34pm

Hi folks,

Im at that perilous stage of purchasing a new board where I've narrowed down my choice of boards to a single board but am unsure about it's dimensions.

I'm looking at a Stacey Neptunes Ride - either in 6 0 or 6 2 flavours.

http://staceysurfboards.com/surfboards/neptunes-ride/

6’0 X 20 1/2 X 2 5/8 34.6CL
6’2 X 20 3/4 X 2 3/4 37.7CL

As a bit of background Im almost 40 around 85-90 kgs, 172cm and surf around 30 times a year at the Surf Coast, Victoria. I've been surfing for 30 years or so but never more than at a weekend warrior level. I'd say I'm average fitness - I don't have the paddle arms I did as a 20 yo but feel pretty confident in waves up to 4-5 foot.

My previous board was a Webber 6,6x 201/2"x23/4". It was great in small stuff and super easy to get into waves but it often felt a bit long and restrictive. Ideal for points but not so much for short beachies.

So the board i choose needs to be a bit of an all rounder with a bit of chunk to offset my age, weight and the less than stellar number of times I get in the water. The Neptune's Ride seems to get some pretty positive reviews and covers most of the conditions that I find myself surfing in - onshore 2 foot mush to clean 4-5 foot walls.

So the questions in the back of my mind which I'd love some help answering are:

1. How much will the lower volume in the 6 0 influence my wave count. It's still got a bit of chunk in it but am I better of going for the larger volume 6 2.

2. Will the 6 2 feel too chunky on the wave? Sure it will be easier to catch waves but will it feel like the spoon in terms of responsiveness and manouverability?

3. Does it really matter? Will 3l make any real difference?

Would love some feedback on this folks:) Especially like to hear from anyone riding a Stacey or even better a Neptunes Ride.

Anthony

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Friday, 20 Jun 2014 at 5:56pm

In short, from my experience, yes you will notice the 3 litres, but more so, the extra 'size' in the board. 6'0" to 6'2" is not 2" more on the nose or tail, but really 2" more through the guts of the board. But, you are coming down from a 6'6" so a drop of 6" to the 6'0" is a big difference.

Ideally, IMHO, I think you should speak to someone who can see you surf. Or, at the very least, take in some footage of you surfing and talk to a few different people.

locii's picture
locii's picture
locii Friday, 20 Jun 2014 at 6:10pm

Thanks @Wingnut makes a lot of sense ... Need to make the choice soon though so thinking I will err on the side of caution and go slightly bigger.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 20 Jun 2014 at 6:24pm

Locii , - I genuinely love your stage name - I'm guessing you think that your old but really mate, it's only early days for you still . You've got a lot of surfing left in you yet. I'd go for the 6'2" . Your already downgrading in volume substantially to get to that point, give it a go for a while then go smaller once your ready.
I know guys in their mid fifties that ride 5'8"s if your determined to reduce board size, so there is no hurry.
I've learnt from too many experiences that it is better to feel slightly over gunned than slightly under gunned. Nothing detracts from the joy of surfing like missing waves, getting in too late or getting caught behind sections.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Friday, 20 Jun 2014 at 6:31pm

Well said Blowin...on the money.

locii's picture
locii's picture
locii Friday, 20 Jun 2014 at 7:27pm

Hey thanks @Blowin - Actually while 40 is starting to rear it's head I still feel like I'm 22 (on the inside). It's just when I haven't been in the water for a while and the waves have a bit of push that I start to feel it. I have grand designs on surfing till I'm 70 so 40 is nothing :))).

"Nothing detracts from the joy of surfing like missing waves, getting in too late or getting caught behind sections."

Thats what has made me err on the side of the slightly larger board. Ive been surfing my 12 year old full of holes , 6 4 pipe dream board down at Gunna and the West Coast and it's been a little frustrating to say the least.

My only concern was the loss of some manouverabilty but you need to catch waves in order to turn on them. If I grow out of the 6 2 then perhaps Ill just extend my quiver.

Anyway thanks for the feedback guys - very much appreciated.

horlo's picture
horlo's picture
horlo Saturday, 21 Jun 2014 at 10:42am
locii wrote:

Hi folks,

Im at that perilous stage of purchasing a new board where I've narrowed down my choice of boards to a single board but am unsure about it's dimensions.

I'm looking at a Stacey Neptunes Ride - either in 6 0 or 6 2 flavours.

http://staceysurfboards.com/surfboards/neptunes-ride/

6’0 X 20 1/2 X 2 5/8 34.6CL
6’2 X 20 3/4 X 2 3/4 37.7CL

As a bit of background Im almost 40 around 85-90 kgs, 172cm and surf around 30 times a year at the Surf Coast, Victoria. I've been surfing for 30 years or so but never more than at a weekend warrior level. I'd say I'm average fitness - I don't have the paddle arms I did as a 20 yo but feel pretty confident in waves up to 4-5 foot.

My previous board was a Webber 6,6x 201/2"x23/4". It was great in small stuff and super easy to get into waves but it often felt a bit long and restrictive. Ideal for points but not so much for short beachies.

So the board i choose needs to be a bit of an all rounder with a bit of chunk to offset my age, weight and the less than stellar number of times I get in the water. The Neptune's Ride seems to get some pretty positive reviews and covers most of the conditions that I find myself surfing in - onshore 2 foot mush to clean 4-5 foot walls.

So the questions in the back of my mind which I'd love some help answering are:

1. How much will the lower volume in the 6 0 influence my wave count. It's still got a bit of chunk in it but am I better of going for the larger volume 6 2.

2. Will the 6 2 feel too chunky on the wave? Sure it will be easier to catch waves but will it feel like the spoon in terms of responsiveness and manouverability?

3. Does it really matter? Will 3l make any real difference?

Would love some feedback on this folks:) Especially like to hear from anyone riding a Stacey or even better a Neptunes Ride.

Anthony

I ride Stacey surfboards and my preferred small wave Stacey model is the Shovel Head.
The Shovel Head performs like a high performance short board but with more foam in all the right places to give you added paddle power and floatation.
I'm 5'10" 90kg and fast approaching 40yrs. I ride a 5'11" Shovel Head but I would suggest as others have that you go with a 6'2" as you are stepping down from a 6'6". I hope this helps.

locii's picture
locii's picture
locii Saturday, 21 Jun 2014 at 11:15am

Thanks Horlo - actually just picked up the 6 2 from Zaks down here in Melbourne.

Feels and looks pretty good. The 6 0 was tempting but I agree the extra foam is what I need right now If somehow I start surfing more perhaps Ill be able to step down again.

Nice to hear you like the Stacey's. Lots of good feedback and also there are very few around for sale second hand. That must be a good thing.

Cheers

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 21 Jun 2014 at 11:26am

Dakoda Walters Stacey crew ,vimeo

keegs's picture
keegs's picture
keegs Saturday, 21 Jun 2014 at 1:56pm

Good choice Locii,
I too am in vicco and regularly hit the surf coast. Good little board, prefer the firewire FST boards if im getting one off the racks at Zaks. Keep an eye out for the FW version of the SLAB and Pyzalien originally from Pyzel.

Good strong construction and both boards float nicely, the shapes and rocker of these boards work beautifully with the type of waves we surf too.

Enjoy your 3ft offshore for the next 3-4 days :)

locii's picture
locii's picture
locii Saturday, 21 Jun 2014 at 2:01pm

@Udo wow that kids has skills.

@Keegs yeah Im aiming for Tuesday - West Coast looks the pick. Hanging out to put it in the water.

keegz's picture
keegz's picture
keegz Saturday, 21 Jun 2014 at 3:13pm

I just put my new unibrow in at 13th this morning. Had an absolute ball on the thing. I can already tell its going to be a magic board. 2-6ft unreal all rounder.

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Saturday, 21 Jun 2014 at 3:30pm
keegz wrote:

I just put my new unibrow in at 13th this morning. Had an absolute ball on the thing. I can already tell its going to be a magic board. 2-6ft unreal all rounder.

I to love my Unibrow all round best board FST all the way