will webber concave decks

victor's picture
victor started the topic in Saturday, 13 Aug 2011 at 9:06am

has anyone been following willwebbers new concave decks.getting rave reviews up angas way, half inch or more of deck concave,with about double that through the bottom,checked his website saw a pic on there.laurie towner has had one shaped i believe and gives it the big rap.anyone got some info on them?..will webber give us some info.....twiggy u know anything about them ?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 commented Saturday, 13 Aug 2011 at 9:32pm

Another Webber invention?

Or perhaps this one already existed..........and isn't so new.

Just saying.....full respect to the Webber clan.

victor's picture
victor's picture
victor commented Sunday, 14 Aug 2011 at 12:56am

have not read or heard about the scooped decks being claimed as a new WEBBER INVENTION,just a style he doing at the moment from what i can gather ? yeh ,its probably been done before.just looking for some other surfers views or feedback from anybody who has one or tried one....thinking they maybe uncomfortable.....or the opposite .wondering on the thickness....concave bottom and deck....?

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd commented Sunday, 14 Aug 2011 at 3:18am

It isn't new been around for a very long time. I have 2 beautifully hand shaped boards with concave in the deck in the area over the fins - keel & quad. These boards go off but for many magical reasons.

victor's picture
victor's picture
victor commented Sunday, 14 Aug 2011 at 6:44am

floyd,can u elaborate on the many magical reasons re the deck concaves,what length and width are the boards,fin placement,rocker,and the type of waves you surf them in,do you have the decks glassed heavier due to more foam removed from the crust.a well used board will have footprint concave,cave in areas over the fins anyway.

Greg Webber's picture
Greg Webber's picture
Greg Webber commented Tuesday, 23 Aug 2011 at 10:59am

will and I are into both single concave deck and bottom and double concave deck and bottom, and will has even done a single deck with a double bottom.
All about accentuating response in one area, ie much deeper bottom concaves, while moderating and stabilizing response in another area, which is deck volume distribution.
We have been hamstrung for years with concave at a max of about 1/4" becasue only the depth of concave was being increased. All shapers get to that limit and then think, "Ok we've gone as far as we/I can go and go back a bit" The vast majority of shapers have this refinement style or approach. However! for big jumps to take place two or more design elements have to be distorted at the same time in order for one of those elements to be taken to the extreme. Only when you change at least two key elements at the same time can jumps in design be achieved. It doesn't mean that the actual experiment will necessarily be a breakthru just cos you did two radical changes at once because you have to guess at the exact balance of the two opposing factors so that they will add up to still be a rideable surfboard on not just a great looking sculpture.

Greg Webber's picture
Greg Webber's picture
Greg Webber commented Tuesday, 23 Aug 2011 at 11:12am

continued from above:
So if you can shape normal boards well and spend a few years trying these combination tests then you end up hitting the balance ore and more often. Will is obviously doing that, and being a bit like me he probably get's very bored of normal boards.
Another thing about deck concave experiments of the past is that I'd say none of them have had 1/2" concave on the bottom as well as 1/4" or so on the deck. They were usually just a normal board with a mild deck concave, like the ones Reno did for McCoy in the early 70's. (Mont bought one from a mate of ours and it went unreal) But if one was shaped with chunks of deck and bottom concave then good on the nut for shaping it! One added bonus is the closeness you get to the water as well. Rail volume might feel like 2 1/2" but you can be only 1" from the wave face, cos the centre thickness is about 1" So it feels really 'in' the wave, yet stable despite a massive concave. More speed, just as stable and close to the water. Next step for the deep single deck and bottom concave is super narrow!! Go Will! please do one and tell me how it went. eg 62 12 16 14 2 5/8 on rail 1 1/2 at centre
There is a new consequence of the deck and bottom double concaves that open a new door to design that has never been experimented with but I want to test it a bit more before talking about it.