Ode to round-tailed quads.

freeride76's picture
freeride76 started the topic in Tuesday, 5 Apr 2011 at 8:26am

The harmfulness of religion has long since been demonstrated and proved....but despite that I have to profess a now undying faith in the properties of the round-tailed quad.....sub sp. McKee set-up.

Mark made me a 6'3" QF which proved to be a sterling all-rounder that came to life in the upper end of it's wave range (2-6ft).

He made me two more: a new 6'3" with a slightly more refined foil for good surf and a 6'0" for smaller surf. It is the 6'0" to which I direct the following comments.

The board is very easy on the eye, especially the template curve and fits nicely under the arm; the rocker curve and rail shape feeling as pleasing as the curves of a young filly(such as I remember them to be, otherwise as cherry as my gorgeous wife).

The board surfs like it's bigger brother, which is to say, sure-footed, drivey and responsive. Mark's put more rail edge in the back half of the board so there's more release in the lip; it drives off the bottom and hooks a very tight turn from all manner of angles in the lip. It's easy riding high performance. Like all quads, it feels faster.
It carves harder.

There's more lift and drive back in the engine room compared to a thruster, less drag from the centre fin and way more control and hold than a twin fin.
Way more.

In 2-4ft pointbreak surf this board has stripped 15 yrs off my surfing life. Actually, I feel better on this board than I did at 25. Mckee quads reward surfing skills with reflexes perhaps declining with age; they give you back speed and time and control.

I've had some hand-foiled fibreglass fins made for this board (M3 and K2.1 fronts and G1000 rears) and that has just added so much extra life to the performance of this board. It's super easy to dial the fin set-up to suit your tastes.

I haven't got photes of the board being surfed but this is the kind of surf it's been out in.

These things are fcuking unreal.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 31 Jan 2022 at 9:35am

Would be pretty devastated in a situation like that too LD..
Ive never actually snapped a fish and ridden fish at 8 foot bombie pits and 8 foot g-land 6-8 foot supersuck, pu/pe board. that board lasted for about 5 years before i left it at my mates house near supersuck. it was only glassed 4x4 deck 4oz bottom, lightweight and flew..my second favorite board ive ever ridden
..im spewing i left it in indo at an aussie mates house near supersuck and never made it back the following years as i lost my electrical /electronic technician career in 2011 with some bad vibes amongst (racial slur could go here) i was working for. I was a qualified electrician - the only one in my team of technicians. they couldn't wire up general power outlets (gpo's) or lights for our security rooms but i had a licence to as i finished my electrical trade.
This meant i could wire up power for our security systems for $33 an hour rather than $120 an hour for a sub contractor electrician. I was an asset to that company and was offered a raise untill i got a bit loose on valium and said all these anti muslim comments one day in an argument to a team mate calling me a faggot. I could have sued him but my mouth lashed out in defense. I was also caught smoking a ciggy inside a data storage facility warehouse just to quickly go inside and pick up a box of cable. The owner of the place spotted me and i was sacked two days later. i worked there for ten years so it was a major part of my resume that i couldnt use due to the bad references i got.
I was spewing as i only worked 6 months a year saved all my RDO's and holidays then travelled to indo for 6 months a year, got my job back almost every year -every year up untill 2010 which was the last time i went.lost my job in 2011.
I was always offered a job back at the company after indo trips as i knew my shit but they were off me from a few mistakes. Since then ive worked as a nursery hand, hydroponics shops, forklift driver
and now console operator at a servo in town 3-4 shifts a week, which is plenty for my budget.

I hear maluk is becoming like nusa lombongan or somewhere now with tourists buying up land and saying they live there and over 80 people surfing supersucck drop ins galore as all the kooks dont look back and drop in so i guess i didnt miss out after all.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Monday, 31 Jan 2022 at 1:52pm

groundswell ,This meant i could wire up power for our security systems for $33 an hour rather than $120 an hour for a sub contractor electrician. You don't need this shit in your life your better off working for someone else than being taken advantage of. Allot of sub contractor do this to young crew who get exploited while they pocket the dollars. your license didn't come cheap or with out hard work or sacrifices. Plus you will be accountable if there is a problem down the line. fuck them off.

Any photos of step ups and guns out there, Keen to see what crew have above 6'6 , 7'0 8'0 and bigger.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 31 Jan 2022 at 5:20pm

Yeah Rob i got ripped off and worked my ass off and they still gave me bad references when i went for job interviews.

Im not in the electrical industry any more and happy about it as i enjoy my current job but glad i can go back to it if i need to somewhere, pretty much anywhere on earth. Except the mining industry my mental history will not be permitted on mining jobs. Been rejected quite a bit and they told me why.

ill dig up a shot of my 6'6 quadfather

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 31 Jan 2022 at 5:30pm

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 31 Jan 2022 at 5:36pm

Groundy - you broke you broke the rules mate
You got Loose on Valium let loose with Racial Slur and Smoked a Ciggie in a restricted area.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 31 Jan 2022 at 5:52pm

My old quiver 12 years ago-

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 31 Jan 2022 at 6:00pm
udo wrote:

Groundy - you broke you broke the rules mate
You got Loose on Valium let loose with Racial Slur and Smoked a Ciggie in a restricted area.

Yeah i fucked up alright...its alright though things worked out.