QUIK PRO

southey's picture
southey started the topic in Tuesday, 11 Mar 2014 at 9:45pm

IS everyone ignoring the " Elephant in the room " ... or is there an embargo on ASP stuff here at the moment .

Not one person questioning the result .... Or is it too early to mention the war ...... ????

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 12 Mar 2014 at 7:52am

Not sure what you mean Southey. Braithy's written a bunch of articles on the event so far and his latest one is going up right now. Most other websites get their reports up the same night but we've found we achieve much better traffic results if we leave it until the next morning.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 12 Mar 2014 at 7:54am

As for the results of the Quik Pro - I didn't watch the Finals (Craig and I were webcasting the Noosa event at the time) but judging by the million Facebook comments I've seen on my feed this morning, there's a lot of people who disagree with the judges scoring of Medina's wave. I'll have to check out the Heats On Demand to see what happened.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 12 Mar 2014 at 8:21am

IMO it was flip a coin kind of stuff, Joel did get some good waves at the start with some nice barrels, but medina kinda switched on towards the end nothing extra ordinary but good wave selection long rides and consistent top to bottom turns not much more a goofy footer could have done out there would be hard on your backhand.

People are always going to whinge, the Aussies whinge when Aussies lose in finals, Americans always think Mick and Joel get gifted heat wins, and people always think Kelly is underscored or overscored.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Wednesday, 12 Mar 2014 at 11:33am

wasn't having a go Ben ..... just was surprised that many contributors hadn't started a thread for the comp ( in here .... form guide ... ) . And just happy to wait and talk in comments on the article .
Also considering the FB traffic , i thought it might have been that people were still trying to put words to their discomfort or even let it sink in so they could refine their thoughts .

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 12 Mar 2014 at 11:37am

Ah no probs. Yeah I think Facebook - and now YouTube - tends to soak up a huge amount of knee-jerk commentary around the ASP WT events, which is impossible for us to compete with. As it is, forums aren't the best place for that kind of rapid discussion anyway. As per Braithy's latest article, the resulting commentary is much more considered and thought out (and enjoyable to read).

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Wednesday, 12 Mar 2014 at 11:45am

Also in general , people are either lazy or hate the stigma of the word " forum " and hence the comments section is more popular . I note that you guys have seen this and hence you post your forecast notes for discussion , and it sees a few "commenters" unwillingly post in the forum....
tricky .... theres' a definite class system here at swellnet ... the elitists... like the social issues , the bogans fight over naming places .... heheh
oh and the nerds bore everyone to tears in the crystal ball scetion ;-)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 12 Mar 2014 at 1:19pm
southey wrote:

like the social issues , the bogans fight over naming places .... heheh
oh and the nerds bore everyone to tears in the crystal ball scetion ;-)

Fuckin gold Southey, spot on champ.
Are you one of those nerds......heheh, I for one enjoy reading or posts in the nerd section don't get me wrong, a very different consumption to others, which I enjoy :)
I also enjoy Braithy's writing especially the shithouse curtian was at right angles the other day.

I went down and watched the circus 2 days ago, well great surfing on the bank but even better tits and arse off the bank. ohhhhh

Oh yeah Medina believes in GOD and it helped......
I might change my concept of life.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Wednesday, 12 Mar 2014 at 2:08pm

if nerd is a description placed upon those that will " drag the sun closer to the earth " in the search for surfection .... then I'm guilty as charged .

i did notice on the webcast yesterday an inhumane amount of time was wasted with the cameras scouting the crowd to only show the rear " head shots only " of the adoring female brazillian fans .... they almost lost me at that stage ... such a tragic waste ... Homogenised US television viewing ... ;-)

thomas11's picture
thomas11's picture
thomas11 Wednesday, 12 Mar 2014 at 2:39pm

I thought the webcast was pretty good actually, they definitely trying new stuff and will have a few teething problems here and there but I'm confident of a good product will be put out consistently as the season progresses.

The judging on the other hand, wow, that was a tad embarrassing. Id like to know how a guy taking off half way down the point consistently doing the same manoeuvre beats out a guy taking off at the apex of the wave getting barrelled consistently and chucking down just as good turns with more variety. Has me beat.
I did enjoy the Aussie's vs Brazza's banter on facebook after however, a lot of name calling and mum jokes, however not much in terms of convincing arguments towards how Medina actually surfed better than Joel, come to think of it I didn't see one.