The Return of Nicky Wood!

stunet's picture
stunet started the topic in Tuesday, 16 Feb 2010 at 3:49am
stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 17 Feb 2010 at 12:21am

Just whacked a photo spread up on the site.

Link

ross-a's picture
ross-a's picture
ross-a Wednesday, 17 Feb 2010 at 1:13am

Unreal!! What a blast from the past eh. I remember him ripping on those single fins. Here I was kooking around on a flouro pink thruster, barely able to stand up, and he was mixing with the big time pros riding a board most groms would have been embarrassed to be seen on.
Remember him in tha SW edition with (i think - memories a bit faded now), Russell Specht, Tony Moniz, Damien Hardman, MR - can't remember where they were surfing??
He musta been pretty young back then but he held his own in the water for sure.
Great stuff!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 17 Feb 2010 at 3:33am

I've got some video in here of him on Wide World Sports with Mike Gibson. This was after the Bells win. Also got a classic interview with him and Butto on the beach at Manly before a Coke Classic ('88?). If only I could get it transferred to digital.

If I get a moment I might whack some more magazine shots up on the link above.

hoody's picture
hoody's picture
hoody Wednesday, 17 Feb 2010 at 5:03am

Why did he drop off the radar?
Bad knees form too many giant floaters, i remember it was something like that, but that was a long time ago.
Or was it the start early burn out early story.
love to know

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 17 Feb 2010 at 5:48am

He had a huge growth spurt and that, along with those huge floaters, didn't help his knees. Think he went many months without being able to surf at one stage. The burnout factor probably played a part too.

Get this though, I just spoke to the people at Breaka who ran the 'win a wildcard' lucky dip competition. According to them only 100 people entered! Good odds for a competition I reckon.

He gets slotted into the round of 96 (which is one round before the money rounds), but more importantly he gets to surf Burleigh with just 3 other fellas while there's a cyclone out near Tonga.

goofy's picture
goofy's picture
goofy Wednesday, 17 Feb 2010 at 8:48am

Yeah a growth spurt and about 20 zillion hash cones.....but he wasn't alone pro surfing still had a personality or two in the 80's/90's.

sunny's picture
sunny's picture
sunny Thursday, 18 Feb 2010 at 2:24am

Nick is the same age as i am and we surfed many heats in the cadet and junior days befor he became the SuperGrom and went pro.
He was unbeatable, had the best team behind him (McCoy, Horan, Ripcurl etc)and was solid he never fell off!
He also was an amzing tube rider, could stuff himself in there and stall in the barrel for maximum tube time.
Bit wierd he is doing a comp though...old now, whats the point?

patty's picture
patty's picture
patty Thursday, 18 Feb 2010 at 7:36am

^^^ pumping burleigh with 3 others out?

goofy's picture
goofy's picture
goofy Thursday, 18 Feb 2010 at 8:41am

Why did Fenech and Nelson fight again, why did Gilchrist sign for Indian league why did Lance Armstrong return....once a competitor I suppose???
Do you still know him Sunny, would he surf daily, what's his current form like?????

ross-a's picture
ross-a's picture
ross-a Friday, 19 Feb 2010 at 8:33am

Cmon Mr Stunet, stop loafing around and put that footage up here!
"You been takin' breaks all mornin"

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 Saturday, 20 Feb 2010 at 11:24am

Nick is the same age as i am and we surfed many heats in the cadet and junior days befor he became the SuperGrom and went pro.
He was unbeatable, had the best team behind him (McCoy, Horan, Ripcurl etc)and was solid he never fell off!
He also was an amzing tube rider, could stuff himself in there and stall in the barrel for maximum tube time.
Bit wierd he is doing a comp though...old now, whats the point?

By: "sunny"

Direct from the ASP site
"Meanwhile Nicky Wood, the child prodigy who set a surfing record in 1897 by winning the Bells Beach Easter Classic as a 16-year-old – Today almost completed a fairytale comeback to the sport."
Makes Nicky Wood old growth at 129 years old, good old Sunny too!

sunny's picture
sunny's picture
sunny Tuesday, 2 Mar 2010 at 8:36pm

Simetimes i feel that old^^^^you young obversvant whippy snapper!
How did Woodsy go in the comp?
I though about Nick competeing again, how could he not. Denying his competitve drive so so long would have been like an itch you cannot scratch.