Listening to music whilst surfing

azza21's picture
azza21 started the topic in Wednesday, 10 Feb 2010 at 7:07am

The idea of a waterproof casing for an ipod is sweet as, but a waterproof mp3 player is even sweeter. I wanna listen to my music out in the waves - it'd be mad! Has anyone tried to use a waterproof mp3 player whilst out in the surf? There are a few out there that sound fair dinkum but none tell how they'd go against actual waves and falling off the board, every review is from a boring lap swimmer. It'd be better to hear how they go from surfers.

So what's the go, are they good or bad and if so what brands are best?

Cheers,

Az

patty's picture
patty's picture
patty Wednesday, 10 Feb 2010 at 7:19am

Bad man. Real bad.

What is it with kids these days...there, I said it 'kids these days'....what is it that you've gotta have a distraction all the time? Is it mental weakness? Can't you handle your own thoughts?

MP3 player in the surf...never heard anything as ridiculous.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 10 Feb 2010 at 7:37am

Yeah, I don't think I could handle it... it's occasionally nice to have a tune in your head but I reckon I'd lose my peripheral senses.

But carving a clean line through a foot of fresh pow.. well that's a different thing. Bring on the tunes :D

owen's picture
owen's picture
owen Wednesday, 10 Feb 2010 at 11:05am

AZ have a look at these if your still interested:

http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=575

they are designed for wakeboarding so Im guessing they would be able to handle falls in the surf and waves as well...

goodluck!

supasimo's picture
supasimo's picture
supasimo Friday, 12 Feb 2010 at 12:12pm

MP3 player in the surf - why would you bother?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Saturday, 13 Feb 2010 at 7:59am

I don't know how you could even think of listening to music while surfing!

I reckon it would through you off, and surfing is more about listening to the ocean and waves and the whole experience of being out and amoungst it.

Horses for courses though..

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Sunday, 14 Feb 2010 at 11:16am

Something to think about, maybe when your out surfing it's a good time to give your ears a rest and have a good chin wag with your fellow surfers. I grew up when walkmens were just bought out, couldn't get it loud enough. The result is 30 years later I've got titinus, which is a buzzing, ringing sound, it never goes away it will always be there, you have to just learn to live with it or let it drive you crazy. So just keep that in mind when you set the volume on your ipod.

radbone08's picture
radbone08's picture
radbone08 Tuesday, 23 Mar 2010 at 2:18am

i couldnt handle it sure a tune before u go out for a surf is something else but being out there is different i love hearing the sounds of the ocean.

pauly's picture
pauly's picture
pauly Wednesday, 24 Mar 2010 at 8:04pm

the thought of music out there has crossed my mind in the past. I just love getting out there now and it being so quiet and relaxing and don't think i could compromise the experience with blaring music. there is a safety factor too if someone is about to clonk you with their board and they call out to you mid stack chances are if your not paying atttention you'll cop it.