Fantasy Surfer

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Monday, 16 Mar 2015 at 11:08pm

That name makes it sound as socially acceptable as Dungeons and Dragons but it's free, you've got a chance at prizes and you get to put your ( metaphoric) money where your mouth is without lining the pockets of Tom Waterhouse.com.

It's at Surfer Magazine .com .

Anyone into it ?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Mar 2015 at 11:13pm

If Swellnet doesn't mind, then discussions could go down here ....if such discussions were to eventuate that is.

So Swellnet gets the traffic without putting on the competition and we can talk form guide shit on an Aussie site.

Happy days.

Right then - who's going to win Bells ?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 17 Mar 2015 at 12:42am

Mick.

(or maybe Kelly)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 17 Mar 2015 at 9:57am

I'm thinking maybe Julian Wilson will feature heavily again.

Satisfaction denied at Snapper will maybe fuel desire.

It's hard to go past Mick and Parko but if crew start taking to the air at Bells regularly then their days are numbered .
Fanning looked unfeasibly sharp at Snapper but Toledo would have steamrolled him regardless.

Dark horse contender - if you can call a past winner and regular performer a dark horse - De Souza.

Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone Tuesday, 17 Mar 2015 at 11:20am

I always feel you cant start throwing down names until we get a bit of the forecast details. Bells in particular can have many different moods no? Groomed 6-8ft high tide bells and i cant see toledo having a similar result, whereas 2ft onshore mush where flicky turns and air game come into play would be in his favour.

So many varibles to the great sport always keeps it interesting.

Still. Fanning was on point at the quikky pro i thought and im gonna have to give him my top vote bells. Previous experience and good form can make a deadly combo.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 17 Mar 2015 at 12:12pm

Totally agree Nick. I'm just trying to get in early and ramp up the froth levels.

You can always count on one of the resident Swellnet surf seers to start throwing out predictions on conditions to narrow down selections of possible victors.

Like you're saying, you just never know...3' rip bowl Johanna to 8' running Winki walls . It's anyone's .

Well maybe not anyone's ....

Have you had a go at Fantasy Surfer Nick ?

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 17 Mar 2015 at 6:02pm

I have, that weird looking blue liquid....!

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Tuesday, 17 Mar 2015 at 6:50pm

I'd have Julian in my team all year. Good in all conditions and seems to have a bit of drive about him this year.
Think he'd be a good each way bet for the title.

scotty123456's picture
scotty123456's picture
scotty123456 Tuesday, 17 Mar 2015 at 9:35pm

G'day Blowin,

Yes, I have had a crack at the Surfer Mag version of Fantasy Surfer for a few years now. I was already watching the WCT (WSL) events anyway and it made some of the heats a little more interesting.

My vote goes to Jordy - but as already pointed out above conditions would need to go his way.

My selected 'team' as it currently stands (and condition dependent) is

Jordy, Taj, Julian Wilson, Toledo, Dusty Payne, Bede, Matt Banting and J Flores.

Yours?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 17 Mar 2015 at 10:07pm

Scotty, it's my first year. Like you say it adds a bit of spice to watching the comps. I used to punt on Sportsbet and this gives the same dimension without blowing dough .
Although the wins were nice....

My starting team for Snapper was Toledo, Wilson, Taj, Fanning, Banting, Flores, Melling and Reynolds. Very similar hey ?

I'm going to wait till I see a reliable forecast till I make alterations to my team.
Jordy looks like a good bet at Bells, the main arena seems to suit his surfing. He looks comfortable in rubber and cold mornings and isn't opposed to ripping the guts out of a fat, open face.

Melling was my emotive underdog pick to be honest. I dig his surfing but don't think it's what the CT judges are looking for and I think he might prefer to kick that back foot into a hollow pocket down the line so maybe Winki ? Who knows....

Flores I'd rather drop to be honest, unless points are awarded for getting the other fella to tap out in a shore break tussle.

How does this shit usually work ? Does everyone just keep getting more expensive throughout the year or do people on a run of shit luck get cheaper ?

Good luck mate.

scotty123456's picture
scotty123456's picture
scotty123456 Wednesday, 18 Mar 2015 at 9:21pm

Hey Blowin,

Good question. Surfers who have a bad run of loses will get cheaper. For example, Kelly dropped by $750K due to his round three exit. No idea how their formula works exactly; but best case scenario is to pick some lower seeded (and priced) competitors early in the season who you think will have chance of overcoming their seed and posting wins.

Kolohe Andino in 2014 was an excellent pick for example. His $ value rose significantly and those who had him selected early didn't have to pay a higher $ value later as well as placing better into the bargin.

This year after rule changes, to do any good, you really need to pick the contest winner as it's an extra slosh of points if you do.

Melling is an interesting case. He tends to garner quite high scores in WQS (are they still called that - Q6000's or something) heats. But generally lower in WCT heats. Is this due to his turns etc. being compared to his WSL competitors instead of qualifying series competitors? No idea....

Anyway, good luck to you too. Hope you enjoy Bells!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 3:57pm
Blowin wrote:

It's hard to go past Mick and Parko but if crew start taking to the air at Bells regularly then their days are numbered .
Fanning looked unfeasibly sharp at Snapper but Toledo would have steamrolled him regardless.

Dark horse contender - if you can call a past winner and regular performer a dark horse - De Souza.

You were close Blowin, but I knew it all the time. Mick;)

anna2503's picture
anna2503's picture
anna2503 Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 10:53am

Great topic !! I am enjoying reading everyone's comment here. I'll do visit here more often for more updates. Thanks a lot!
buy facebook likes cheap

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 8:00pm

Spotty 123456 - you out there or anyone else into this Fantasy Surfer deal ?

How's your team going ?

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 8:14pm

Ha ha you are in fantasy world..are you 14?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 8:29pm

Free chance to win a trip for two to Hawaii by trying to guess which surfers will do well in the comps we all like to watch.

Not something you would be interested in I guess.

You're too switched on to play kids games like that.

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 8:59pm

Well blowin if you win I will be forever humbled.

Hamo1180's picture
Hamo1180's picture
Hamo1180 Friday, 4 Mar 2016 at 11:07am

Does anyone know how to start a private club in the fantasy SURFERmag competition in order to play against mates?

scotty123456's picture
scotty123456's picture
scotty123456 Friday, 4 Mar 2016 at 11:51pm

Hi Hamo,

That feature is under the 'Clubs' menu item then 'Create a Club'.