Medina - the worst loser ever???

whaaaat's picture
whaaaat started the topic in Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 2:17am

Faaaaarkk!! Great final!

BUT WHAT THE FUCK SORT OF SOOKY LA LA WAS MEDINA!!!

Jesus wept! As did GM!!

Fucking disgraceful performance. Will never be forgotten....

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 2:36am

I gotta admit I thought Julian was totally gone until he got that last wave. What a great finish though, a real nail biter.

As for Medina - I can see the difference between those surfers that have had some form of media training and those that have been left to their own devices. Perhaps the language differences exacerbate the situation a little, but with Medina being just 18 years old he's obviously inexperienced (and uncomfortable) in having the spotlight on him just seconds after such cliff-hanger decisions are handed down.

Still, he's gonna have to get used to losing. Even if it means having a couple of cliche go-to phrases in his back pocket for whenever someone pokes a camera and a microphone in his face - the public's perception of how an athlete handles this kind of thing is equally important these days. No-one likes a sore loser.

z-man's picture
z-man's picture
z-man Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 2:49am

JW was WAY over-scored on his last. Compare it and it just doesn't cut it. LLAME LA POLICA! - Medina was ROBBED!

z-man's picture
z-man's picture
z-man Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 2:52am

@whaaaat; Hands down Kolohe(edited) owns it for most disgraceful! Tavarua(Crowd Break) board beat down. - 'priceless'

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 3:08am

Wow - did Gabs leave the stage before the presentation was over? I wasn't watching at the time. If so, that's pretty piss poor.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 8:51am

@whaaaat; Hands down JJ owns it for most disgraceful! Tavarua(Crowd Break) board beat down. - 'priceless'

By: "z-man"

Kolohe mate not JJ

z-man's picture
z-man's picture
z-man Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 9:33am

goofy - right you are!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 9:46am

I watched pretty intently Ben and it looked like he left the stage straight after his runner up speech.

As it was a Ripcurl contest I think the director kept the shots pretty tight and the focus was on Julian as they didn't want to broadcast Gabs sobbing.

I suppose you have to cut him some slack, it was snatched from him in the last second, he surfed amazingly throughout the whole contest and he is still a kid. But the only congratulations to Julian from what I could see came from Gabs mum. No, not a particularly impressive display of sportsmanship.

Who can blame him though? He's probably got every man and his dog telling him constantly just how awesome he is:)

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 9:55am

As an addendum, a couple of other forums have punters frothing that Julians claim got him over the line. Maybe so?

Well you never see Gabs or any other Brazzo's claim do you?

whaaaat's picture
whaaaat's picture
whaaaat Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 10:34am

@z-man: Yep, agree that Brother's reaction was poor. But not patently unsporting.

Zen's right - GM left the building directly after his... erm, speech doesn't cut it, but it'll do.

@Ben
You're being far to kind. Body language is an unmistakable lingua franca. This isn't about age or ethnicity. It's about character. Compare, for example, the way J-dub conducted himself after being beaten on the siren by GM in France last year.

As for the claim bullshit - I wish J-dub hadn't - he'd been pretty low key in his claiming throughout the contest, but that was an amazing (if short) barrel during what was a pretty ordinary wave window.

And these are 5 judges who see claims wave in/wave out, day in/day out.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 10:35am

The usual conspiracy theories don't float for this one either - Gabs is a Rip Curl rider, so if there was a 'sponsor' push then he would have had the nod over Julian. Not that I've ever thought this has happened in the past either - it's just amusing seeing all of the experts decrying each and every judging decision that doesn't go in favour of their countryman.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 12:04pm

Just had a look at the final to see what all the fuss was about. As much as I am loathe to say it, I think Medina got stiffed but it was a line call. GM clearly got the best wave of the heat, a smoking forehand tuberide. It came down to his air rotation vs. Julian's fluffy tube to claim. Technically Gabriel's air was the more critical manouvre, but tube rides were the scoring manouvre throughout the event. Julian's claim might well have got him over the line?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 12:42pm

How about the added pressure (in an already high pressure situation) that Julian was catching his last wave of the heat with just a minute or so to go - so therefore, it was this wave or nothing? I wonder if that kind of situation sometimes pushes up the scores a little higher.

FWIW, I think it's reasonable to differentiate a wave ridden technically the same as another, if one was ridden at the start of the heat and the other at the end of the heat in what's essentially the decider. But then, I'm no judge. Wouldn't want to be one either!

whaaaat's picture
whaaaat's picture
whaaaat Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 12:55pm

And in any event, I began this thread because of what I still say was one of if not the most ungracious, infantile and sooky performances by a loser that I've ever seen.

God only knows how he'll behave when he loses something really important, like his teddy.

z-man's picture
z-man's picture
z-man Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 1:27pm

@whaaat; WHAT? - 'not patently unsporting' ? - You're probably right it's most likely NOT one of the Queensberry Rules?

whaaaat's picture
whaaaat's picture
whaaaat Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 1:34pm

OK, OK, OK, fair cop. As you know, I'm not one to let one small (albeit very salient) fact get in the way of making my argument.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 2:54pm

I agree with Yorkes that JW's last wave was hardly groundbreaking stuff. Scrappy tube into three top turns you'd see a hundred times a day on any beachbreak around the world by any competent surfer. An eight? I don't think so.

But, shocking sportsmanship and a true sign of character. A better man would roll with it and even admit it was disappointing to lose- no shame in that. A true sportsman would shake hands and vow to get you next time, not sob and stalk off into the dressing room. This reflected badly on himself, Brazil, Ripcurl and pro-surfing in general.

But, as I said before, he's still a kid and has quite a few life lessons to learn yet.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 3:14pm

Gab might like to take a look at this vid, particularly the last 10 secaonds.

I hope next time Julian demolishes him.

z-man's picture
z-man's picture
z-man Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 7:34pm

Give Medina a break. He's young and in-experienced and comes from a humble upbringing. I'm sure adjusting to the world stage comes easy to all the Swellnet experts on emotional behaviours.
He was showing his emotions and they got the best of him. Give him time. He'll improve.

whaaaat's picture
whaaaat's picture
whaaaat Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 8:30pm

And, Zen, just how, precisely, do you expect him to learn that what he did was unacceptable if we all just accept it without demurral??

whaaaat's picture
whaaaat's picture
whaaaat Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 8:38pm

Oops. Got lost in the zees. Apologies to both of yer.

z-man's picture
z-man's picture
z-man Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 8:49pm

whaaat; - good point. I'm 'fairly' certain talk about humility in the Medina household is a hot topic right about now?

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 9:34pm

I think its good that the dude spat the dummy. Last thing the tour needs is another, 'oh I'm stoked for Julian he surfed incredible' type of bullshit. Bring back the animal,fight to the death, rip ya heart out and show it to him type of stuff.Pro-surfing and its personalities are boring as now that the great AI is gone!!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 9:36pm

Do you think so z-man? I read this morning that Gabs step dad did a bit of 're-decorating' of the competitors area after the announcement. True or not? I wasn't there but I would like to think it wasn't true.

Sure he's a kid and I definitely think he was done poorly by. I reckon JW knows it too, but still, Julian didn't rip him off, the judges did. A true sportsman rises above that. He's not the first one and he certainly won't be the last. These young bucks are living the dream, maybe if he washed a few dishes or stacked a few supermarket shelves like other 18 year olds are doing, it might give him some perspective.

frother's picture
frother's picture
frother Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 10:40pm

I read that Medina mentioned in his speech "it was the 3rd time the judges had got it wrong"....... i'm assuming one of those "times they got it wrong" was the Adriano vs Owen QF in Rio 2011?...... 8+ score for a single floater to Desouza....... me thinks Jules deserved the score, especially after watching Medinas 7.47. The crowd seemed to embrace Julians win with all the cheering that went on.

Tis a pity that Medina made such a scene as that will now follow him throughout his career

rail2rail's picture
rail2rail's picture
rail2rail Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 10:43pm

Medina the worst loser ever? Maybe.

Anyone remember Sunny Garcia and his antics after losing heats let alone a final? Regardless, he's a legend.

Do these pro's claim like JW did at their local? This claiming stuff is a load of crap. Don't see Taj doing it.

Agree with Zenagain, those last three turns were the equivalent to what I saw at my local today by local weekend warriors.

And Barley also makes a point.

I wouldn't exactly call JW the most sporting person on the planet either.

But one thing is for certain. Medina, Wilson, Double J are bloody exciting to watch as they are the future and this final has us talking regardless of the outcome.

For what it's worth, no way was that final wave up in 8's, but we were debating about a similar scenario in Brazil last year with D'Souza.

Look forward to the next comp!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 11:05pm

If you go back and look at the 2 best scoring waves of each, they were all pretty similar, JW's deep tube and squeezed out through the white water. Gabs first was a big air reverse, nice reo followed into a little floater. Was a smaller wave than JW's but scored marginally higher. Gabs next highest was a 6.77 for another reverse and then fell off. Once again a smaller wave. Gabs second highest score was a running tube where got a little cover up but he was never really deep, finishing off with an awkward turn. JW's final wave caught under Gabs nose was one of the bigger waves of the heat and he rode the tube and got three turns in.

Bear in mind, the lowest score awarded for that wave was a 7.8, assuming that it was the Brasilian judge that dropped that, JW still would have won.

Upon reflection, I think he was still a bit overscored but when compared to the other waves ridden by both it's a pretty fair call.

I'm happy for JW, disappointed for Gab but after his hissy, I find it hard to feel sorry for him.

z-man's picture
z-man's picture
z-man Saturday, 20 Oct 2012 at 11:27pm

A quote from Surfline.com; - - - "Julian got the nod and his maiden Dream Tour victory. Held in his father's arms, Gaby was visibly crying. Whether they care to admit it or not, everyone -- everyone -- knows that air for air, tube for tube, heat for heat, the Brazilian was the best all-around surfer in the water these past two weeks in Peniche."

By: "z-man"

rjl's picture
rjl's picture
rjl Sunday, 21 Oct 2012 at 4:00am

piss week display by a spoilt brat
who cares if julian deserved the score for that wave, its contest surfing, that sort of stuff is part of it
watched the clip of him beating julian in the last seconds in france last year, and julians response was to celebrate with him on stage and shower him with champagne.
i hope ripcurl docs his pay and tells hime to grow up or go get a sponsorship from pena!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 21 Oct 2012 at 8:06am

I wouldn't disagree with the notion of Gabriel being "the best all-around surfer in the water these past two weeks in Peniche". However, it's worth noting that there have been other contests where the best surfer of the event hasn't won the Final.

anton-chigurh's picture
anton-chigurh's picture
anton-chigurh Sunday, 21 Oct 2012 at 9:09am

worst ever? don"t think so. conan hayes in tahiti circa 1999 takes that award.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Sunday, 21 Oct 2012 at 1:16pm

Ah wasn't that the event that Koby Abberton won? How's was Koby's victory speech-"Who da man? Who da man? I'm the MAN!" That was right up there in memorable moments of pro surfing history:-) haha

z-man's picture
z-man's picture
z-man Sunday, 21 Oct 2012 at 3:07pm

@anton;

I missed the conan hayes/tahiti meltdown - any links to that?
Choirs!

@yorke; What ever became of Koby Abberton?

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Sunday, 21 Oct 2012 at 3:39pm

@Z-man. Last time I saw Koby Abberton he was hanging out with Jeff Schmucker in the desert of South Australia. He "borrowed" a guy I knows jetski without permission and did $1000 damage to it without paying for it. I also saw a farmhouse out there with "BRA BOYS" spray painted across a wall. Very respectful. I wonder if Jeff still gets Christmas cards?

I heard on the news his brother Jai(the one who got off on that murder charge) skipped bail for an assault in Byron Bay and was wanted by the police.
Nice people!

anton-chigurh's picture
anton-chigurh's picture
anton-chigurh Sunday, 21 Oct 2012 at 7:28pm

@z-man. Conan basically standing on the stage for finals results and walking off shaking his head, And brushing off steve robbos (contest director] handshake. Priceless shit. Even some booing from the crowd as koby is proclaimed the winner.
good to see some real competitor meltdown from medina tho. so sick of this era of bone smoking competitors saying im so stoked for such and such for beating me. to quote derek hynd- bastard desire.some of the current tour should start to utilize the finless gurus words if they wanna get results

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 21 Oct 2012 at 9:29pm

Snivelling and sobbing while his pop does the ol' chair toss (there was a distinct lack of dwarves at the contest) and then running off the stage.

Yeah Anton, he's a real bad boy.

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Monday, 22 Oct 2012 at 12:04am

We all saw Koby in his cowboy hat and 'fuck-me' boots..I recall he had a blow-up doll? Where is the rabbit-TC kind of aussie competitive animal nowadays?? would've been good to see JW call him out and make a statement...never ever happen though..hohum!!

z-man's picture
z-man's picture
z-man Monday, 22 Oct 2012 at 8:09am

@anton & @yorkessurfer;

Thanks for the description of both Conan and Koby; I vaguely recall Conan's capers(married random hottie too) but that must have been almost 10 yrs ago? Koby? Don't hear much about him over here in Yank-land, but thanks for the update! - Da Bra Boyz better had answer their own wake-up call?

z-man's picture
z-man's picture
z-man Monday, 22 Oct 2012 at 8:13am

@ barley; I never saw those! - Post 'em if'n ya gottem! - 'fuck-me' boots? I gotta see those! HIGH-larious!

z-man's picture
z-man's picture
z-man Monday, 22 Oct 2012 at 8:22am

@barley; nevermind; I just viewed a YouTube vid of Abberton in said cowboy attire. Cowboy up!

anton-chigurh's picture
anton-chigurh's picture
anton-chigurh Monday, 22 Oct 2012 at 8:17pm

@zenagain. spoilt fucken brat probably sums him up better. close call tho ya gotta admit. hate to be judging that heat. the point i was trying to make is the tour is currently fucken real sterile. no real characters in the 45 really ripping in to each other eg. mick campbell, ai, sunny garcia, pottz etc. these guys meant war when the siren went. i miss that stuff. medina made a tool of himself fair and square.
did his step dad really do the chair toss? the old boy does look like a dwarf tho, maybe he shoulda tossed himself like he prob does when gabby wins

thegreeniguana's picture
thegreeniguana's picture
thegreeniguana Monday, 22 Oct 2012 at 9:19pm

Look up poor sportsman ship in the dictionary and theres a picture of Jeremy Flores. Lay off Gabby I reckon. He was ripped..... and he still didn't chuck a Bobby.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 22 Oct 2012 at 10:29pm

I hear you Anton, but as these blokes make their money from sponsorship, they pretty much tow the corporate line. And definitely close call. I watched the heat recap a few times now and I do feel Gabs was ripped off, but when I look at it subjectively and compare highest wave scores against each other, I'm not so sure. JW's last wave wasn't pretty but he did get the two biggest waves of the heat and he got tubed on both of them and deeper than Gabs tube too.

But as this forum is about sportsmanship, I think his actions were pretty fucking lame and the Brazzos can scream all they want about the injustice, it was still a pretty piiss poor effort. JW didn't judge the heat.

Also, someone mentioned doing a Gilly. If the shoe was on the other foot do you think Gabs would relinquish the trophy? Not bloody likely.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Thursday, 4 Apr 2019 at 12:02pm

One for the fans.

You know you've made the big-time when Israel's PM Netanyahu (in full election mode) and Brazilian President Bolsonaro invites you and your best soccer mate Neymar over to Israel because...well, just because.

And both Gabby & Neymar are down.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jairbolsonaro/status/1113158371761422337?lang=en

How's your Portugese?

I don't think it's all good there for the boys.

As an aside, I like the Brazilian use of 'kkkkkkkk'. Might have to appropriate.