The Awesome Wind Map

bish's picture
bish started the topic in Sunday, 22 Dec 2013 at 6:40pm

I came across this earlier in the week. Not exactly real time, but within 3 hours I believe. I can't stop looking at this, it's beautiful, mesmerising and a fantastic tool for visualising the flow of air between systems. I want a giant screen with this running 24/7 on the wall!

http://earth.nullschool.net/

Imagine if they could do something similar for swell as an overlay?

Article here: http://www.dvice.com/2013-12-17/hypnotizing-live-global-wind-map-will-ke...

bish's picture
bish's picture
bish Sunday, 22 Dec 2013 at 6:51pm

Oh and if you click on the Earth text in the bottom left corner, there's a number of options to play with. Man those jet streams at 250 hPa look fierce!

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Sunday, 22 Dec 2013 at 8:21pm

Good find thanks.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 22 Dec 2013 at 10:24pm

2nd degree !

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 23 Dec 2013 at 5:23am

Yeah they're called streamlines. I've had this on my 'must add' list for Swellnet for a long time but we don't have a suitable format at the present time for this kind of animated product (Weatherzone have had something similar on their Storm Tracker for the last couple of years, but it uses live AWS data rather than model data like this one).

I've seen a couple of similar visualisations for swells/waves (typically used in TV weather broadcast software) and they're all pretty crappy. As such I'm doubtful that swells could be replicated in a similar way.

bish's picture
bish's picture
bish Monday, 23 Dec 2013 at 10:00am

Coded with Javascript, so shouldn't be a big problem for you to integrate. Cameron Beccario is the guy, I believe the code is open sourced here: https://github.com/cambecc. Maybe he'd like the challenge of integrating swell models into this or something similar, you should talk with him?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 23 Dec 2013 at 10:28am

It's not a technical integration issue, it's more to do with "where do we put it on our website", and "how do we justify the expense".

That particular website works really well as a full screen experience, which we don't have (mainly for commercial reasons). So, we'd have to spec out a new section, produce wireframes, theme the design, code the backend and then build the front end. All of which costs $$.

Also, without swell data it's a one-trick pony - of which replicating the same display with other information is time consuming and costly (which therefore requires some justification to spend the $$ on).

This particular product and the display tools has been in our planning pipeline for some time - however as a small business it's impossible for me to do everything I like just because it's cool (over the last 12 years I have built an enormously long list of "things I'd like to have on Swellnet"). It's the commercial realities which dictate what we can and can't do.

bish's picture
bish's picture
bish Monday, 23 Dec 2013 at 11:05am

Yes I hear where you're coming from and I understand completely.

But it's so frickin' awesome! :)

Seriously though, while it may be a one trick pony, that trick is very impressive from my point of view. Watching this, I feel that the little I know about weather forecasting has immediately become more tangible, more understandable. That in itself is valuable to me. I'll be watching it over the coming weeks and comparing it to local events to see if it proves to be any more useful than that.

Can I use this opportunity to put in a vote for perhaps integrating the Swellnet forecast notes back into the Surf Forecast page/tab or under an additional new tab? Seems pretty clunky to have to click through to the forum thread to get that good info.

Love the site, keep up the good Swellnet work!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 23 Dec 2013 at 11:42am
bish wrote:

Can I use this opportunity to put in a vote for perhaps integrating the Swellnet forecast notes back into the Surf Forecast page/tab or under an additional new tab? Seems pretty clunky to have to click through to the forum thread to get that good info. Love the site, keep up the good Swellnet work!

Yep, it's already noted. I think it's number #219 on a list of over 400 tickets of 'things to fix or improve'.. hopefully we'll have them all done soon.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 23 Dec 2013 at 11:44am
bish wrote:

Seriously though, while it may be a one trick pony, that trick is very impressive from my point of view. Watching this, I feel that the little I know about weather forecasting has immediately become more tangible, more understandable. That in itself is valuable to me.

Absolutely agree. There's actually a huge amount of additional work to be done in this area - not just with streamline winds - that will also assist everyone's knowledge about how weather systems work, and swells are formed. Unfortunately we just don't have the time and money to be in constant R&D mode, but I can assure you that we're working on some pretty amazing things behind the scenes.

bish's picture
bish's picture
bish Monday, 23 Dec 2013 at 11:46am

Only #219, you guys have way too much time on your hands! :)

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 23 Dec 2013 at 4:22pm

Thanks Bish, i have been looking for a site that shows the middle of the Indian ocean for years,with this you can see where lows started and ended. Its pretty good.
Was sussing out those two highs of the east coast and the long north fetch coming straight down and sure enough overhead bowls at a north swell magnet near here this morning on dawn, though disappeared within an hour so so with the low coming up the coast- southerlies. Fetch got small with highs heading north east off the coast.
All visible in the history of "Earth" streamline history..

bish's picture
bish's picture
bish Monday, 23 Dec 2013 at 6:18pm

Yeah those two highs looked incredible. On the BOM synoptic they were just represented as one peanut shaped high more or less. But on the wind map there were two distinct highs. The way the winds interacted and conjoined into one stream blasting towards Tas. was fascinating.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Tuesday, 24 Dec 2013 at 8:26am

Is the wind map generated from actual observations or is it based on numerical/forecast data?

This page appears to indicate its based on numerical/forecast data?

http://earth.nullschool.net/about.html

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 24 Dec 2013 at 8:39am

It's all forecast data, but WZ and other sites use observations.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 24 Dec 2013 at 8:55am

Here's a screenshot from Weatherzone's Storm Tracker, which uses live AWS data (hence the lack of info over water).

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 24 Dec 2013 at 9:00am

And the FNMOC have been producing GFS streamlines for the last 10+ years such as what you'll find here.

grazza's picture
grazza's picture
grazza Tuesday, 24 Dec 2013 at 10:59am

Very, very beautiful. It's amazing how these patterns of chaotic flow are so mesmerising. And the little nooks of unlikely surf (e.g. the Caribbean coast of Panama) are really easy to see, aren't they?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 24 Dec 2013 at 12:32pm

Wow.. hows the winds that push down the south china sea, thats a fair distance, if thats a regular wind pattern that im guessing it is some kind of trade wind, the areas between Malaysia and Borneo would have a bit of potential, especially the islands offshore, just need a bit of swell to wrap around an island or reef.

bish's picture
bish's picture
bish Tuesday, 24 Dec 2013 at 1:35pm

I reckon you're right indo, on Riau island north of west kalimantan, there's a north east facing beach with some serious gutters!