Surfing lingo nonsense

caml's picture
caml started the topic in Tuesday, 15 Dec 2015 at 10:42am

Are there words surfers use that dont really always make sense ? The word release is probably my favorite one that I find hard to really understand what someone means . Its often used when describing surfboard function , rails , rocker , fins , etc . The next one is raw , often used to describe the waves , swell or conditions . That one is quite a common word that to me seems to describe the persons attitude just as much as the surf conditions . Would like to know what others think about it anyways . Also what other ones can be strangely used ?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 22 Dec 2015 at 10:43pm

Haha yeah blo make hay while t sunshines ! I still cant call that slide maneuver release myself , but another explanation helps me learn this thing thank u . And squirt - Boards don't squirt & neither do fins ? But I like it & can know what it means if said . another word that describes the water like release .
these wierd words are for people that like to talk about themselves and describe every part of theyre wave ( not offense to u blowin I know you write good things & dont talk yourself up ) . Some ppl like to detail & talk about it, make u listen to the details of how they rode the wave etc etc , where as others dont say much about the finer details & just surf . But each to their own of course , theres no right or wrong .
I suppose I wouldn't ever have to use these words because I cant do release maneuvers or squirt let alone the air game stuff and names of them ,. And that is a can o worms . For another time

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 22 Dec 2015 at 10:47pm

Wobbly ; wobbly swell ? Peaky ; peaky swell ? Usually translates to short period in my vocabulary .

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Sunday, 27 Dec 2015 at 8:05am

pulse, not really nonsense sounds cool and makes sense just thought id add it. But when i first heard it i was confused.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 27 Dec 2015 at 2:03pm

"Grading" - as in, a southerly swell will be 5 foot in northern NSW and grading smaller on the southern Gold Coast points. Easy enough to get the gist but a bit of a curious term nonetheless.
Bit of a buzz word, along with "pulse" but pulse makes a lot more sense.

Jamyardy's picture
Jamyardy's picture
Jamyardy Sunday, 27 Dec 2015 at 5:03pm

Never came across squirt except to describe someone small. I associated "wobbly" with morning sickness and "peaky" with the outcome of two swells (primary and secondary when relatively similar in size) from different directions. "Going Off" used to be popular, like a fire cracker but more likely with respect to the richter scale. I heard "It's Cooking" a couple of days ago just before heading out, that's an oldie, although I still know guys that use "smoking" and "cranking"

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 27 Dec 2015 at 8:52pm

Words currently on high rotation for myself - Pumping, pearler, eaten, pitted and that perennial favourite : fuckstick.

Words I may employ whilst pissed , though regret at a more sober moment - wrapping cut, drop the hammer, rock and roll float. *

* Of course that's patently untrue.

No one has ever been that pissed.

I've never ridden anything that squirts.

I reckon it's probably a myth.

Like the clitoris.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 27 Dec 2015 at 9:57pm

Clitoris, that's the word I was trying to remember.

It was on the tip of my tongue.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 27 Dec 2015 at 10:48pm

Don't know if anyone has mentioned, but 'filth' or 'filthy' was bandied about where I grew up surfing.

Could mean anything from waves, to the little hottie in the Seafolly bikini, to just an awesome night out.

It was all filthy.

edit: just went back over the thread, jamyardy brought up filthy and sick on the previous page. Filth effort jamyardy:)

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Monday, 28 Dec 2015 at 9:13am

Ill throw a few nonsense terms into the mix for our Melbourne audience.
Carpool, Rideshare, Dawnie (that means leaving home at 7.30 after an early morning coffee with marmalade on toasted sourdough), Penlink.

One I enjoy is Juice to describe decent swell why does it somehow correlate to squeezed oranges.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 28 Dec 2015 at 10:58am

Technically an acronym but 'lago' is a word that is lovingly thrown aaround when it occurs as in 'late evening glass off'. I'm sure we've all heard that one.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Monday, 28 Dec 2015 at 11:00am

Wouldn't late evening glass off be lego Zen?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 28 Dec 2015 at 11:12am

That's been Lagos to me ('session' at the end). Rolls off the tongue a little better too.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 28 Dec 2015 at 11:22am

Oops, got me Wharfie. Read, late afternoon glass off.

The 's' does tend to roll off the tongue a bit better too Ben, like the s at the end of clitoris. Unless of course you're into the group thing and it may very well be 'clitori' .

;)

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 28 Dec 2015 at 1:49pm

Zen have you been hanging out (so to speak) with Gary G by any chance??!
Tiger...

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Monday, 28 Dec 2015 at 2:13pm

memory/pop to describe flex!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 28 Dec 2015 at 2:40pm

Andy, Garys in another league to me (and unlike me, Garys actually funny).

He's been a bit quiet of late though- wonder if his computer and stash of USB's have been seized?

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Monday, 28 Dec 2015 at 3:01pm

"My boards Rip , Tear and Lacerate." - MR.

WTF ?

simplefinsinlife's picture
simplefinsinlife's picture
simplefinsinlife Monday, 28 Dec 2015 at 10:32pm

I've noticed some ambiguity around the phrase "on the inside" which I've heard used to describe: a position closer to the peak eg: 'he paddled on the inside of me'; a position further down the line eg 'got a filth little cover up on the inside'; an undesirable location eg 'caught on the inside'; a position either closer to the peak or further down the line eg 'I took off and he was on the inside'

Likewise the term 'too deep' has been used to suggest one wouldn't make a section on take off, or they were sitting in a spot that the depth of water was too great for the wave to be breaking ie couldn't paddle onto a wave... That's an easier one to decipher though.

I liked the definitions offered for morning sickness.

dellabeach's picture
dellabeach's picture
dellabeach Tuesday, 29 Dec 2015 at 8:47am

What the hell is a "bottom hand turn"?
Is it a turn that requires engaging the preferred wiping hand, an additional anatomical appendage protruding from the anus or something else?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 29 Dec 2015 at 9:37am

Agreed della somewhere along the way hand was added & it is a nonsense one

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Tuesday, 29 Dec 2015 at 10:00am

I enjoy the description of conditions one persons fun waves is another persons crap.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Tuesday, 29 Dec 2015 at 11:30am

DEEP. Way DEEP in the barrel.

Parko's Uncle Daryl was affectionately known as "Deep" . It was an acronym for both his initials - Daryl Parkinson > DP > Deep , and the way he could tuberide > Legend.

rh-taxi's picture
rh-taxi's picture
rh-taxi Tuesday, 29 Dec 2015 at 4:18pm

Yeah DP he could get DEEP when it was crankin or smokin, but it had to be juicy, solid, full of grunt.
The squirt he could get out of his releases...pure DNA for future Parkos

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 29 Dec 2015 at 6:59pm
zenagain wrote:

Andy, Garys in another league to me (and unlike me, Garys actually funny).

He's been a bit quiet of late though- wonder if his computer and stash of USB's have been seized?

Zen I suspect he's only just getting out of the lockup after Schoolies and/or he's laying low and waiting for the penicillen to take full effect.