nazare surfing history

caml's picture
caml started the topic in Monday, 19 Oct 2015 at 9:52pm

How long has it been understood by surfers that the giant waves at nazare exist ?

wally's picture
wally's picture
wally Wednesday, 21 Oct 2015 at 9:28pm

Nazare, depending on the swell direction, can be steep or very slopey.
Nazare is a huge and dangerous wave, no question.
But, its massive height in the photos from the headland is a bit of an optical illusion.

Belharra, I think, has some sort of trench leading to the Belharra reef.

But, imagine how high this Justine Dupont wave at Belharra would look from a hundred metres or so elevation.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 21 Oct 2015 at 9:30pm

Interesting reading guys and interesting topic, good stuff

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 21 Oct 2015 at 9:49pm

Ok bring it on with the downplay wally thanks for the picture . It is interesting that many people downplay the feat of riding these waves . I have seen a few articles about that , measuring etc

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 21 Oct 2015 at 9:50pm

& im not negative about it wally its a good topic

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 21 Oct 2015 at 9:59pm

Oh yeah thats a girl on a girls wave , Just starting out with a little one

wally's picture
wally's picture
wally Wednesday, 21 Oct 2015 at 10:27pm

I am in awe, and would go back to my room and hide blubbering under my bed for 5 hours if I even saw something like that, but if vertical wave height measurements are relevant, then this theoretical Nazare wave height diagram probably has some truth.

It in no way, for me, takes away from the awesomeness of what is being achieved.

superlosers's picture
superlosers's picture
superlosers Wednesday, 21 Oct 2015 at 11:08pm

the fact that Nazaré holds big surf has been known for a long time in the euro surf community. There had been a pic and a description in the 2000 edition of the Stormrider Guide Europe. the place had quite a few bodyboard contests as well, nowadays a world tour event. I checked and surfed the place on a few trips only to about dOH but had some serious hold downs in the shorey. A 5 wave set nailed me in the channel, with the current locking me right in place. At that size it is more of a bodyboard wave.
There might have been Portugese and others surfing it at size. The focus of the small Portugese big wave crew in the 90s and 2000s had been Madeira. Portugese surfers are also quite territorial and don´t travel a lot. Nazaré does not have other waves in the vicinity, only shorebreak closeouts around 40km each way. Remember Tiago Pires was the first full time Portugese pro. A lot of the locals cant afford breaking their boards
Can´t say much about the sand, it is quite coarse and similar to the texture as the sand at supertubos were the banks always seem to stay in place as well. Never hit the bottom outside but a lot waves end as closeouts in the shorebreak. Sometimes the current drags you towards the rocks below the cliffs, no place I would like to be in serious surf.
If you need more info, maybe contact Joao Valente at the Surf Portugal mag http://www.surfportugal.pt/noticias-surf-portugal-7 He has been around a while

superlosers's picture
superlosers's picture
superlosers Wednesday, 21 Oct 2015 at 11:14pm

p.s. I think the locals (about 10 of them) all bodyboard. They are quite young.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 22 Oct 2015 at 12:08am

Thanks supa Losers . Information valuable

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 22 Oct 2015 at 11:02am

That info from supaloser is just the sort of thing that we needed . In 2000 it was shown in a magazine . Other interesting points too .

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Thursday, 22 Oct 2015 at 12:19pm

Relating to the questions on East Coast Canyons, whilst they may not be the size of the ones talk about in this thread, off the top of my head, there is several off the Central Coast, Norah Canyons and also Seal Rocks Canyons sitting off the shelf.
I remember as a young grom, all the older fellas used to talk about the canyons in that area focussing swell into the likes of Forresters.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 22 Oct 2015 at 2:24pm

No doubt a factor at Kalbarri with the Abrolhos too.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 22 Oct 2015 at 2:38pm

I agree Cam re west swells seeing less bottom friction affects at Bluff, with south swells travelling over the shelf for longer, 100km or so. It would be good to find out an easy calculation for swell energy loss due to bottom friction taking in period/size etc.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 22 Oct 2015 at 3:01pm

Im noticing the swellnet heights are decent for my areas of late . Which answers my question from 2 yrs ago "how much am I losing from the shelf here ?" No one was able to answer what I asked , but the answers where there , swellnet is closest & willyweather WAS great too .& Especially cos I use metres not feet . Re because the live buoys talk metres . how much refraction increases on the bathymetry of nazare .. guessing a average 3@18 will be 25ft & its the 4-5 metres that are bit rarer that's when it really happens huge

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Thursday, 22 Oct 2015 at 8:06pm

No stand on board and dive from McNamara Stu????

stunet wrote:

"Being a beachie though , i can't see much chance of succesful paddle campaigns."

What makes you say that Southey?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 22 Oct 2015 at 9:58pm

When I checked swellnet forecast for praia do nazare the other day I was a little sus on the name but it was said by the team that that was it . Now im still sus , garret McNamara is saying that tomorrow is going to be good there , not big but good . So I check magic seaweed nazare & it says 8-13 ft tomorrow morning with light offshore wind . Windguru says 2 m @ 15 with light offshores . Swellnet says 2-4ft . Something aint right !
So assuming msw is correct because g.mac is calling it it means that the canyon will refract a 2m @ 15 swell into something at least double !

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 22 Oct 2015 at 9:59pm

You have to love the look on his face when he turns around and sees what's coming!

superlosers's picture
superlosers's picture
superlosers Friday, 23 Oct 2015 at 4:32am

Imho tomorrow (Fri)will be about dOH. Check the surfline Nazaré feature if you can stand listening to gmacs voice. I am not a big wave surfer, but I would caution against taking the lefts on a big day. the sand is making a bend westwards north of the peaks, it will be extremely hard to get back out there. Paddle out from town about 1,5-2km to the peak through deep water.
The spot is praia do norte. Praia do Nazaré is the town beach which sometimes has a peak in a big swell, but nothing special.
Stormrider guide is a very popular guide book in Europe, lots of good info in there.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Friday, 23 Oct 2015 at 7:27am

There's a clue , the names wrong sn team . According to supaloser

tux's picture
tux's picture
tux Tuesday, 27 Oct 2015 at 11:39am

A bit off topic but if you have a 4000m trench that jumps up to 7m within 40 odd NM are you going to get some fucking big waves on a swell like the one that lit up Indo this year? Just wondering how close the trench needs to be to the land mass to make a significant difference

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 27 Oct 2015 at 4:52pm

Yeah you are tux . Much bigger than the cow bommie got to on that swell

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 27 Oct 2015 at 4:54pm

Pictures of nazare yesterday looked 10-12 ft . 2m @ 15 possibly

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 27 Oct 2015 at 5:48pm

Next swell much bigger, pity about the winds.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 27 Oct 2015 at 9:42pm

So craig no comments about the failed forecast swellnet @ nazare ? As mentioned a few posts back ...

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 27 Oct 2015 at 9:50pm

Swellnet Says 25-20ft now @ nazare , did someone adjust the dials on the forecast modulator ?

erikb's picture
erikb's picture
erikb Tuesday, 27 Oct 2015 at 10:10pm

how do i upload images here? I was there in september, it was flat, but took a bunch of photos of the context you might like to look at.

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Wednesday, 28 Oct 2015 at 8:18am

see the section at the bottom of the page "photos"tells you how.

erikb's picture
erikb's picture
erikb Wednesday, 28 Oct 2015 at 9:25am

just looked at google street view, then looked at my photos. meh i got nothin'...

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 28 Oct 2015 at 10:26am

No not at all Camel, it's still probably under-forecasting. Raw model data correct, just the size conversion for that region has to be boosted to the canyon focussing.

tux's picture
tux's picture
tux Wednesday, 28 Oct 2015 at 1:11pm
caml wrote:

Yeah you are tux . Much bigger than the cow bommie got to on that swell

Thanks Caml

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Wednesday, 28 Oct 2015 at 10:26pm
caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 28 Oct 2015 at 10:57pm

A little bit more about the swell currently there at nazare southey .theres pics on IG of a stormy rugged 20 + + ft peak @ 14 sec by the looks .

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 29 Oct 2015 at 9:08am

20ft++? Looked way bigger than that! Bloody huge.

Sebastian Steudtner yesterday at Nazaré...#BigWaveAwards 2016 Billabong Ride of the Year entry Video | Nuno Dias

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 29 Oct 2015 at 9:17am

Hey ben yes true it maybe argued that its more than 20ft . With a 14 period im sure it was far less than it gets ! I thought for a moment & reckoned this stuff was not to be called so big & besides swellnet said 15-20 ft 4@14 right ?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 29 Oct 2015 at 9:20am

Where'd ya get the 14 seconds from Camel? Was that model forecast or an actual buoy reading?

I haven't been keeping an eye on the charts but I know our model majorly undercalls for Nazare proper (having such a unique bathy profile, it requires a unique surf height algorithm). We've got a fix for that in the next few weeks, and we'll monitor it this season to see how it performs.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 29 Oct 2015 at 9:26am

Ben earlier this thread( as written above ) I pointed out how swellnet called 2-4ft when it was 10-12 ft . But point being that theres a bit of disagreement about wave height etc & swellnets forecast is a bit under the real thing .

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 29 Oct 2015 at 9:32am

What did MSW or the other sites call it that day ?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 29 Oct 2015 at 9:59am
caml wrote:

Ben earlier this thread( as written above ) I pointed out how swellnet called 2-4ft when it was 10-12 ft . But point being that theres a bit of disagreement about wave height etc & swellnets forecast is a bit under the real thing .

Yeah we know it's under.. got a fix on the way. Just curious where your 14 seconds was though (model forecast or live data) - I haven't been monitoring this neck of the woods but I do recall seeing the 10m winds from the North Atlantic, and Tp should have been much higher than 14 seconds. Live buoy data is just a little hard to obtain from this neck of the woods, that's all.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 29 Oct 2015 at 10:12am

Would of mixed the local windswell with the groundswell and under-forecast the period for sure.

And Cam, it was 6m @15s

This raw swell forecast would of been about right (if not slightly over with windswell contamination), but our on site conversions to the size seen at the beach needs to still be tweaked.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 29 Oct 2015 at 10:15am

Udo, MSW underforecast massively.

Remember they deal in face feet, so only forecast 10ft+ this morning, but we've still got 15-20ft (needs to be tweaked upwards still)..

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 29 Oct 2015 at 10:32am

Interesting that MSW's primary swell is 12ft @ 14 seconds, whilst ours is 5.7m (18.5ft) @ 14.5 seconds. 

Their model-derived height estimate is 30% less than ours. That's a HUGE discrepency.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 29 Oct 2015 at 11:51am

Cam, got the buoy data from just of Nazare.

Here it is..

First is the Significant Wave Height in blue with period in red, looks to match our model forecasts..

And now Maximum Wave Height with period..

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 29 Oct 2015 at 4:52pm

Ok craig the data ! & what do the numbers show , Im not 100% sure how to read it . How far is it located from the beach ?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 29 Oct 2015 at 5:47pm

Buoy is just WSW of Nazare..

And Significant Wave Height peaks at just over 6m @ about 16s, then hovers between 4.5-5.5 @15-16s.

Maximum Wave Height peaks about 8.5m and hovers between 5.5m and 7.8m.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Friday, 30 Oct 2015 at 8:15pm

Due to car breakdowns I missed a lot of the recent swell @ nazare & comments . Craig the swell graphs are impressive ! Im sure that I read 15 & 14 period but it was a few days before the day & it may have been showing average conditions then did an upgrade as it moved along . Too late to worry about now . Thanks craig & ben

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Friday, 30 Oct 2015 at 8:18pm

Also I saw " praia do nazare" as the location on g.macs instagrm so theres proof it must be correct

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 5 Nov 2015 at 9:39am

A picture of g.mac on the biggest lefthander is circulating .from naza yesterday , so how big did that swell register on the buoy ? This wave is so massive & I vote for a hindcast if possible please craig

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 5 Nov 2015 at 10:35am

Swell for the weekend was smaller in size and peaked around 4.32m significant wave height but with larger with peak periods of 17-18s.

Note the red and blue lines are switched, compared to the graph above.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 5 Nov 2015 at 10:58am

I'll have a dig for our model forecast data when I get a chance.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 5 Nov 2015 at 10:59am

Thanks craig , can you tell me how to Google find the buoy plz ? Was the direction any different this time ? Thats certainly a big wave for an normal size xxl swell that g.mac pic