Accuracy of Manly Hydraulics Laboratory Byron buoy

mundies's picture
mundies started the topic in Tuesday, 11 Nov 2014 at 9:32pm

Current reading of the Byron buoy swell direction is WSW, is this swell coming from Lightning Ridge? Just a weird anomaly; my point is actually - Ben / Swellnet guys - is this likely to be an error from the data collection point i.e. the buoy, or a computer modelling glitch, or something else.... I don't live in Byron but close enough that it is relevant.
Because if they can fuck up the swell direction by 160 degrees they can fuck it up by 30-40 degrees which can be annoying when trying to make the most of swell direction, obviously checking the surf is pivotal but nuances in direction can help informing where to surf.

mundies's picture
mundies's picture
mundies Tuesday, 11 Nov 2014 at 9:52pm

BTW Swellnet forecast was 1.2m 85 degrees (E) and 0.2m 35 (NE), 2ft & short period. Actually it was 3ft but not great, fun for this time of year though.

dellabeach's picture
dellabeach's picture
dellabeach Tuesday, 11 Nov 2014 at 10:34pm

Did you also notice that the water temp reading was 100 degrees celsius? Went in twice, closer to 22 I'd say.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 12 Nov 2014 at 12:51am

Due to storm activity around lighting ridge, the thunder send vibrations of 160 degrees minus 100 degrees Celsius plus 22 degrees Celsius which equals 82 degrees east swell, pretty close and very simple maths ;)

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Wednesday, 12 Nov 2014 at 7:09am

love your work mate, wasn't the greatest at maths but can see your genius here. great tagline Master Wellymon

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 12 Nov 2014 at 12:36pm

Looks like the Byron Buoy has gone walkabout.

wonder who tried to moor up to it.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Wednesday, 12 Nov 2014 at 3:39pm

Yeah sorry Steve. There was a school of mahi mahi around it and I couldn't resist :) ooppps!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 12 Nov 2014 at 3:58pm

Stop it Fitzroy, you're getting me excited.