computer performance

udo's picture
udo started the topic in Wednesday, 31 Jul 2013 at 2:46pm

dare I click onto the my computer needs cleaning ad that appears on the swellnet page, has anyone..........safe to ?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 31 Jul 2013 at 2:59pm

Don't do it Udo.

If it's anything like what's floating around (boost your pc performance etc) you'll get taken through all these steps and at the end the software will tell you that you have a number of identifiable threats which can be fixed for anywhere between $9.99 to $49.99 per month.

If they havn't already mined your data from your pc before you even get to that stage.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 31 Jul 2013 at 3:00pm

It's just an ad, which doesn't really know what your computer is doing, so in this case I'd say not to click (but feel free to click on all of the other ads!).

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 31 Jul 2013 at 3:02pm

BTW - these ads are served via Google and our Ad Agency so they are routinely checked for any association with malicious software etc.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Wednesday, 31 Jul 2013 at 3:10pm

ben, does your advice also apply to the deviates that are flogging those jet boards? Their ad also appears on your website.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 31 Jul 2013 at 3:19pm

hadn't planned to click on it ,and hope know one else does, next ad up was a money transfer ad with a dodgy mob.
I must admit I do enjoy it when those Indian Microsoft pricks phone me re a bad virus in my computer....string them along then give em a foul mouthed aussie serve- they usually give as good back. I do wonder exactly how much personal info they have ? and where they get it, name and address is always correct.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 31 Jul 2013 at 3:19pm

Yeah, ditto Floyd. We can't screen Google Ads efficiently (because of the way the system works, and the tiny ad revenue we make from them), so we just have to live with the variable quality of 'remnant' network advertisements.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Wednesday, 31 Jul 2013 at 4:37pm

Thanks Ben, my faith in humanity is restored.

Hey udo, I used to get a weekly unsolicited phone call telling me about my Microsoft problems (odd as I run Apple).

Anyway the calls stopped when I started telling the callers that I worked for the Australian Federal Police and the call was being recorded and tracked back its source. I loved it when they hung up on me quicker than a wet fart in India.