abalone diver death 2 sharks mystery

udo's picture
udo started the topic in Thursday, 27 Jun 2013 at 5:40pm

under way in pt Lincoln s.a. is the inquest of peter Clarkson the ab diver supposedly taken by to white sharks while diving for abalone off of the s.a. coast , some strange happenings that tragic day....? pt Lincoln times .com

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 27 Jun 2013 at 5:48pm

Here's the link: Port Lincoln Times

Does sounds a little suss doesn't it.

That Abalone Wars was being filmed at the time off the attack and they had Go-pros and everything hooked up. I wonder if any of that was used or if they weren't filing that day.

Sad in either case.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 27 Jun 2013 at 6:01pm

another diver 200mts away swears the deceased was not diving that day ?only shelling, dna tested blood smears on the boat had been cleaned with water or a cleaning agent. no calls to emergency services, no epirb set off. craig your link dosent show latest news.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 27 Jun 2013 at 6:21pm

Fascinating reading.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 27 Jun 2013 at 6:23pm
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 27 Jun 2013 at 6:39pm

Heavy stuff...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 27 Jun 2013 at 6:56pm

mr rodd refuses to relive shark attack because he still has to work in the industry, WTF still working in the industry after his other deckie /diver loss to a shark[s] about 10 yrs ago........this guys a jinx fuck going to sea with him.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 27 Jun 2013 at 9:13pm

Mr Rodd sounds fucking dodgy as fuck , what excuses.

Rodd killed him?

Clarkson had some feelings towards Rodd's wife.

Different feelings from thoughts.

SA stuff, don't go down there!

Be careful, take a gun and don't try anything on the local wives.

Common sense!

blacksmith's picture
blacksmith's picture
blacksmith Friday, 28 Jun 2013 at 7:58am

Shiiite, sketchy west coasters. Best not talk about it

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 28 Jun 2013 at 9:02am

If someone is overboard or taken by a shark, who the hell calls their accountant and lawyer instead of Air-Sea rescue?

Totally suss!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 28 Jun 2013 at 9:29am

fuck yeah zen ......but why wouldn't the accountant or lawyer in pt lincoln straight away contact the police ? mr rodd is many ks away at a boat ramp, the anchor chain and rope was not attached to the boat..? I cannot wait for the coroners findings on this case. EDIT; the solicitor did try to contact police but the phone rang out......what about 000 ?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 28 Jun 2013 at 11:46am

@uplift, this in your town whats your thoughts on this .

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Friday, 28 Jun 2013 at 1:04pm

With a bit of thought put into it and alot of care the west coast sounds like a great place to murder someone and get away with it.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Friday, 28 Jun 2013 at 3:56pm

A missing anchor and chain hey? Good way to ensure a body sinks properly. All us South Ozzies know the bloody things float to the surface unless weighted down! Very difficult to be convicted of murder without a body........

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 28 Jun 2013 at 4:26pm

coroners findings on howard rodds november 2000 marine mishap is a good read.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Friday, 28 Jun 2013 at 4:52pm

The crime and corruption associated with those slimy little Ab's is hard to fathom until you realise the profits are as lucrative as drug trafficking.

Years ago a diver and his offsider died down off the coast here at Yorkes. It was reported as a heart attack and the second guy who was in his 30's died on the beach in front of where I live from the strain and stress of pulling the first guys body into the boat. He was a very large guy.

I was helping build a mate's house at the time and every day the guy would drive past hauling a really flash dive boat down to the boat ramp, wind, rain, hail or shine. Anyone who knows the unpredictable weather down here wound find that unusual?
I would wave instinctively as he went by as you do in our friendly little town but never once did this guy wave back? He was a retired well connected wealthy restauranteur so I figured he was just arrogant. And his son owned a refrigerated trucking delivery company that serviced the Yorke Peninsula.

Only after the tragedy did my mate and I start joining the dots. He had all the bases covered. A market to supply, refrigerated transport, dive boat, but he sure as fuck didn't have a licence to fish for abalone!
I will never know the full story but I reckon karma got him. He was already fucken rich but it's never enough for some people is it?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 28 Jun 2013 at 5:12pm

Yeah those Ab-licenses are gold mines.

I know of a guy down Port Macdonnell way who was offered 5mil for his license over 5 years ago and turned it down.

Apparently it takes 10 years off your life being under that extra pressure 8-10 hrs a day, but for only working a few months a year and making big bucks I'd say it's worth it!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 28 Jun 2013 at 5:51pm

I've been doing a few searches on this story since udo first posted because it makes for interesting reading, but I'm not coming up with much.

This whole story stinks to high heaven. Witnesses are evasive at best or down right in contempt. Even the coroner (whether it's being accurately reported or not) doesn't even seem to be asking the right questions.

There doesn't seem to be much background on those that are part of the inquiry, including the deceased. Even the investigating cop, faced with everything that the skipper failed to do, says that the death is consistent with the evidence of the skipper. Despite ignored commonly accepted protocols, leaving the scene, failure to alert authorities, presence of the the deceased's DNA and on and on.

Just the stuff they're not telling us is almost enough to send this to trial.

Where's our mate Whaaat? I know it's belated but good to hear back from you the other day.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 28 Jun 2013 at 6:40pm

whaaat is currently reviewing the said newspaper evidence and will reply shortly.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 28 Jun 2013 at 7:15pm

laury more info, a surname for easier searching

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 28 Jun 2013 at 7:17pm

Got a link Laury? Can't find anything on that at all.

Udo, I can only go on what's in the paper, so I'll put it down to shoddy reporting. I won't lose any sleep over it, just thought it was interesting reading while doing nothing productive at work.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 28 Jun 2013 at 7:43pm

ben endean murder....committed by a rodd.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Friday, 28 Jun 2013 at 8:10pm

Gidday udo, I have known Peter Clarkson for years, mainly as he loved weight training. He was a really nice guy, and it was sad, as I spoke to him the day before. As you can imagine, there are a zillon stories floating around. It does seem suss. I've surfed Golden Island though, and it is a really weird feeling zone, and really sharky.

pussyrioters's picture
pussyrioters's picture
pussyrioters Friday, 28 Jun 2013 at 8:18pm

This is obviously news somewhere???Thanks Udo/ Smucksook for the thread. Is it easy to get away with petty crimes on your coast, eg murder or domestic violence which is definately your speciality. Great to see your concerned about justice being served, perhaps you could join the police force. Is there still a height and weight restriction? Might be an idea to wear high heels and a corset belt to your interview. Hope you and WCpissweakGland are enjoying banjo practise.
Cold down there,warm and entertaining here.
Where's my beer gone?

drjeffie-mrhyde_2's picture
drjeffie-mrhyde_2's picture
drjeffie-mrhyde_2 Friday, 28 Jun 2013 at 9:53pm

JEFFIE: Hyde, looks like smakoo the wako is cashing in again on someones misfortune.Again !
HYDE: Yeah thats him for sure , he sure like to be heard and seen,,, udo again.
JEFFIE: Were such show ponys arnt we Hyde, just like when we did that magazine article a couple years ago about sharks ect !!!
HYDE: Made Us to look like complete Knob jockys and the magazine must be so proud of us now that we are famous. Jeffie .
JEFFIE: Wat about that feeding frenzy when we had all them kidz and people on the point closeby encouraging them big white's out the water with baits.
HYDE: That's fun normal behaviour for us Jeffie, reckless endangerment of life is not on our priority list of concerns.
JEFFIE: Our disrespect for wildlife and other peoples safety is NEWSBREAKING.
HYDE: To bad, we only care about Us, no one elses feelings of other peoples familys concerned.
JEFFIE: That was really fun so many people to beat our chest in front of.
HYDE: We should have had our clown suits on for sure, pitty our famous documenter mate wasn't there to document.
JEFFIE: Is that why we just only tow , cause we scared ?
HYDE: I know Hyde, We could get famous by going on that biggest loser TV show.
JEFFIE: Do you think we will win Hyde ?
HYDE: Jeffie , we garanteed to win that gig for sure.
JEFFIE: Do you think film and photos will be an option for Us Hyde ?
HYDE: It's all Documented Jeffie !!!!

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Saturday, 29 Jun 2013 at 1:08am

I think there is def's something suss too!! way too many inconsistency's..Plus the guy doesn't want to talk about it..won't talk about it..it is amazing how many murders are 'accidents' or over a woman..not so much pre-meditated but more so out of rage..in the moment kind of stuff..anywho I know of a person who was in the black market of abalone..somewhere close to my local surf region..scored a brand new, top of the line, ss commodore 5.0litre for his troubles..then got out if you get my drift...gottoo admit it has crossed my mind once or twice...Half the risk of coffins....it's called coffins for a reason ;)

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 29 Jun 2013 at 2:07am

Never liked Coffin Bay oysters, too big for my liking.

Sydney Rock oysters with red-wine vinegar and finely chopped eschalot.

Anyhoo, this whole saga stinks like a bucket full of abalone left out in the sun.

Too many unanswered questions.

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Saturday, 29 Jun 2013 at 2:14am

Well said zenagain..of course you guys pay top dollar for the famed 'king oysters' which only come from Coffins..as I said the main reasons for murder are rage and/or over a woman..you are right and the authorities can smell a rat as well..just wait and see I guess!!

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 29 Jun 2013 at 3:51pm

Zenagain pays top dollar for them to get to Nippon land!
Only oysters over there are Mountain Oysters?
A pair of deer testicles!
They aren't too bad not as good as pow pow testicles.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 29 Jun 2013 at 4:24pm

ha ha

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 2 Jul 2013 at 12:45pm

Latest news to hand is that Mr Rodd initially agreed to take police divers to the site of the attack so they could search for any trace of Mr Clarkson or his equipment.

But...

Sergeant Doecke said the offer by Mr Rodd was withdrawn when Mr Rodd's lawyer Michael Coates contacted police an hour later.

"Within an hour I received information that that offer was being withdrawn on information from Mr Rodd's solicitor," he said.

Recovery dive for shark victim hasn't been possible

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 2 Jul 2013 at 2:06pm

who was the holder of the ab licence...? rodd or Clarkson ? were they partners ?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 10 Aug 2013 at 10:51pm

Just released is the Coroners report into the death of Peter Clarkson.

It's an interesting read.

It seems that this skipper did just about anything he could do to ensure that the body was never going to be found. If he was such a great mate as he portrayed, how could he act in this way whether he was in shock or not? 30 years experience as a skipper and the most fundamental of errors. It's almost farcical.

The Coroner reluctantly had to sign off Clarksons death as the result of a shark but not without being highly critical of the skipper.

http://www.courts.sa.gov.au/CoronersFindings/Lists/Coroners%20Findings/A...

I hope Mr. Clarkson is at peace.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 11 Aug 2013 at 7:08am

Wow.. someone's gotta turn this into a book or a movie.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 12 Aug 2013 at 7:08am

Boy theres something wrong here alright,stinks of rotten abalone to me.Coroners report is interesting, the guys supposed to be a skipper with years of experience and does nothing at all while his mate gets taken by a shark and rings his solicitor hours later?Ive had a bit to do with diving and using hooker units and Rodd said in his statement that they were in 25 meters of water which is 80ft old scale not shallow water and 10 minutes later sees his mate come up 100meters in front of the boat,boy he must be a good diver to dive down 80ft and swim 100 meters along the bottom in 10 minutes while looking for abs and why wasnt he following a lot closer in the boat,i mean 100 meters is the length of a footy field,long way away.Rodd said Clarkson had a shark shield on with floats to keep the electric tail away from him but he says he saw the floats drifting away which means it must have been severed.He doesnt ring the police or actvate the Gps or epirb or fire a flare etc and its convienent the anchors not there.Anyway stories got more holes than swiss cheese.I watched a bit of abalone wars and wish i could see it again to compare notes.To go to a place called the Lumps in the middle of now where and not have your gps plotter on dosent make sense....theres a lot more to the story.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 12 Aug 2013 at 7:39am

after rodds other boating mishap 10 -12 years earlier where another life was lost,[by a shark[s] surely you would have exercised more caution with safety and dive boat setup..the anchor rope ? agree major holes in this story and rodds master 5 qualification ,well he should be stripped of that. all links to rodds son and his speargun attack [murder ? ] are no longer avail online....fuck yep theres a helluva lot more to this story. easiest thing in world to do is light up a flare police and emergency mob in Lincoln could see it from there offices let alone any vessel within 100k.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 12 Aug 2013 at 3:50pm

Hey Udo,

What do you know of Rodds other mishap and his sons speargun attack?Reading the original police report and rodd said he saw clarkson coming up quickly near the boat and reached out to grab him and in his coronial report he said he saw him come up 100 meters away....two different stories...i wonder if Rodd had his dive gear in the boat as he said he did a bit when clarkson was tired.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 12 Aug 2013 at 5:00pm

samba, google around, danny Thorpe, howard rodd, theres a few stories online re the boating mishap off ceduna and the coroners findings ,carrying an epirb but with flat batteries etc ??? another reader posted then deleted the speargun attack, pt Lincoln times had the story online but is no longer accessable, maybe a Lincoln local could give you more ? by private message even.....

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 12 Aug 2013 at 5:13pm

Dodgey to say the least.

Just did a see survival course with ESSO in the Bass Straight.

Red Laser flares during night time have a 30 mile radius
During the day its way down around about 3 mile?
Different flares for different times of our 24 hr period.??.....

UUUUmmmmm.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Tuesday, 13 Aug 2013 at 6:42am

even his last mishap 12 years ago where another guy died (possible shark attack after boat rolled and sunk,he said it rolled but upon inspection it was found to be sitting on the bottom upright with everything in its place) there were questions raised,hes obviously a dodgy operator and shouldnt be allowed to skipper a boat

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 11 Sep 2013 at 9:50am

series 2 of abalone wars ,screening in November, - pt Lincoln times.com

mundies's picture
mundies's picture
mundies Wednesday, 11 Sep 2013 at 12:38pm
thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 11 Sep 2013 at 1:00pm

Fascinating reading! Someone's gotta make a movie about this.

nat-old's picture
nat-old's picture
nat-old Wednesday, 11 Sep 2013 at 1:29pm

Scary reading more like it! There is a common theme with the Danny Thorpe and Peter Clarkson incidents in both coroners reports - no anchor, non operational Epirb, one survivor who is so traumatised he can't recall exact facts and no bodies of the victims found. The SA Coroner only just stopped short of calling Rodd a killer in the Clarkson inquest. GPS equipped EPIRBS cost about 300 bucks these days - 2 decent sized abs for these guys. Howard won't be coming onto my boat when I'm out diving, thats for sure.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 11 Sep 2013 at 2:06pm

Just read the article mundies posted above. That swim back to land must have been absolutely terrifying, I really couldn't think of a scarier place for that to happen. Heavy stuff..

mundies's picture
mundies's picture
mundies Wednesday, 11 Sep 2013 at 8:54pm

I met a guy who was deckie on a boat out off Byron somewhere, boat went down and he swam in to new brighton beach, took him 12 hours. One of the other crew died. Five years on he's still got PTSD and off work.

Diverdan's picture
Diverdan's picture
Diverdan Tuesday, 8 Jul 2014 at 8:53pm

Classic to read ignorant fools throwing conspiracy theory's around, interesting all the ab divers bar Daryll are behind fully behind Howard. Funny hey go