Indo swell forecast

carpetman's picture
carpetman started the topic in Wednesday, 31 Oct 2012 at 11:42am

Hi All,

I'm heading to North Sumatra at the end of the week and was hoping some of you friendly forecasters and all round nice guys could give me their take on the current state of the Indian Ocean? In particular a low forecast to develop SE of Madagascar on the weekend.

My thoughts on the low (hoping to be verified by someone more skilled in the forecasting arena); Sets up nicely to project some waves to northern Indonesia but then tracks east quickly whilst developing and in the end focusing most of its energy directly east towards Aus. Is there any hope that this storm will produce some nice sized swell destined for Indonesia?

Obviously on the outside of the tail end of the season but hoping for some seclusion and waves.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 31 Oct 2012 at 12:10pm

Hi Carpetman,

Your thoughts are pretty much spot on mate.

The low will initially form favourably but will track east-southeast when it is at its most intense, with the strongest of the fetch being aimed towards Western Australia.

It will produce a very inconsistent and only medium sized groundswell for Indonesia with the Bali and Java region expected to cop the most size.

Also because of the short-lived nature of the fetch aimed in the swell window it will be a quick up and down pulse only lasting half a day or so.

Up towards North Sumatra you're probably looking at a very inconsistent 3-5ft of S/SW groundswell at its peak which looks to be Friday night.

So aim to surf later Friday and early Saturday.

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Wednesday, 31 Oct 2012 at 12:40pm

Thanks for the forecast Craig!

I'll be keeping a close eye on it and hoping things change for the better between now and then but in the end we get what they deliver. All extremities are crossed!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 2 Nov 2012 at 9:45am

Hi Carpetman, the low has taken a slightly more favourable turn with it stalling a little longer in the swell window.

The timing is still on track with the swell likely to arrive Friday afternoon but a peak is now expected on Saturday, with it lasting all day probably to 4-5ft with the odd 6ft'er.

Keep in mind it will be very inconsistent. Good luck!

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Friday, 2 Nov 2012 at 3:09pm

Great! Thanks for the update Craig. Can't wait to see how it pans out, I just have to get through the last 2hrs of work.