Fiji Pro 2014 Forecast

carpetman's picture
carpetman started the topic in Tuesday, 20 May 2014 at 3:44pm

Might be jumping the gun a bit but the Girls waiting period starts this weekend.

What's the chance of a mega swell!?

The one good thing about Rio is that it makes Fiji all the sweeter! Looking forward to this one.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Tuesday, 3 Jun 2014 at 1:23pm

Seriously, I still can't see anything of significance after this week, so one has to ask the question again. Are they going to run overlapping heats and try and wrap this thing up before Friday?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 3 Jun 2014 at 1:25pm

Actually Don, there's a lot of stuff to organise. Flights/accom/transfers/food/transport/surf info (where, when, how, who with, how to get there), communication, - sure the surfers can do it themselves but that means they end up personally stressing about small silly things like excess baggage charges or arranging a local SIM card in each new country - and this diverts energy away from their competition mindset.

Same happens in the music industry - they're called "tour managers". This way the band (or the surfer) concerntrates on the one thing they're there to do. Play music (or win competitions).

Honestly can't say it'd be a fun job though. Might look good when they're in the background of the party photos, but in general these kinds of guys are doing all of the shitty jobs the surfers don't want to do.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 3 Jun 2014 at 1:27pm
braudulio wrote:
udo wrote:

Coke

Dunno Mick strikes me as more of a ginger beer kinda guy, or maybe solo.

Haha, You reckon...!

Classic call Udo's

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 3 Jun 2014 at 1:37pm
thermalben wrote:

Actually Don, there's a lot of stuff to organise. Flights/accom/transfers/food/transport/surf info (where, when, how, who with, how to get there), communication, - sure the surfers can do it themselves but that means they end up personally stressing about small silly things like excess baggage charges or arranging a local SIM card in each new country - and this diverts energy away from their competition mindset.

Same happens in the music industry - they're called "tour managers". This way the band (or the surfer) concerntrates on the one thing they're there to do. Play music (or win competitions).

Honestly can't say it'd be a fun job though. Might look good when they're in the background of the party photos, but in general these kinds of guys are doing all of the shitty jobs the surfers don't want to do.

Ben that's gold comparing it to the music industry..!

I'm sure most of the greatest musicians in our realm were so off their heads on drugs the only shitty job they did for themselves was heating up the spoon ...?

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Wednesday, 4 Jun 2014 at 9:48am

I still have no idea what they're hoping for at the end of the waiting period? Sure it's better period, but it's still gonna be very small and very inconsistent.

I assume they're not going to be running overlapping heats and trying to wrap it up today/tomorrow now.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Wednesday, 4 Jun 2014 at 12:58pm

Kevin Wallis (Surfline) was just interviewed. Reckons similar size Thursday (to today) waning Friday. He also said similar sized swell coming for the last few days of the waiting period (really? I can't see it), but local winds look to have too much north in them around this time.

Sounds like they may be trying to wrap it up this Friday. Feck knows why they haven't then run overlapping heats to get it finished in similar sized swell Thursday instead of smaller stuff come friday is beyond me!!!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 4 Jun 2014 at 1:05pm

We discussed the overlapping heats in the office and as Stu pointed out it's too hard on a long sectiony wave like Cloudbreak.

Imagine people in the first heat coming down to the final minutes and needing a score, hence using priority by dropping in someone coming down the line in the second heat. This would stuff the scoring ability of the guys in the second heat and also be super tricky to regulate scores/interferences and priority.

If you have a wave with one defined take-off like Pipe or Teahupoo etc it's doable but seems too tricky at CB.

Also I agree, swell for the end of the waiting period is nowhere near the size to what they're getting today and tomorrow. Be hardly anything in it at all.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Wednesday, 4 Jun 2014 at 1:05pm

Nat Young just having a fecking awesome barrel freesurf!!!

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Wednesday, 4 Jun 2014 at 1:17pm

Its pumping as the tide drops out !!! Just in time for magnet arse to paddle out.

Kevin from surfline came on and said the swell will be same as today but winds are funky for next week with Northerlies. There is 12 more hours of continuous heats so they must finish it on Friday surely.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 4 Jun 2014 at 1:21pm

Bourez is on fricking fire!!!

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Wednesday, 4 Jun 2014 at 1:22pm

Bourez is looking damn damn dangerous!!!

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Wednesday, 4 Jun 2014 at 1:37pm

OMG Bourez taking it to another level. tata jeremy

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 5 Jun 2014 at 6:16am

Waves looking pretty tasty this morning. Same size as the last few days but hitting the reef on a really nice angle.

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Thursday, 5 Jun 2014 at 8:37am

BAM we're down on the web and on Fuel. I had a no signal

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 5 Jun 2014 at 8:41am

Least they're telling us what's wrong. Nothing worse that thinking it's only you're feed that's stuffed and endlessly refreshing the page.

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Thursday, 5 Jun 2014 at 8:54am

They haven't even bothered putting it back up on Fuel yet....oops down again

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 5 Jun 2014 at 9:36am

I betcha Kelly loses this 4th round heat so he surfs again and gets an easier seed in the 5th round springboarding him into the finals.

He'll then surf against the lower surfers in the finals and put him in better position to win.

My thoughts but he seems to do this a lot.

Lets see how he goes.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 5 Jun 2014 at 9:49am

Well that theory shot to shit.

I think I should leave the egg on my plate instead of my face;)

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 5 Jun 2014 at 10:00am

Well if you ask me Filipe won that heat. I reckon he surfed way better. So perhaps Slater did try to lose but the judges juiced him and he reluctantly won.

How's that for a conspiracy theory Zen? Removes a bit of the egg off your dial.

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Thursday, 5 Jun 2014 at 10:04am

yep in this size Kelly doesn't have the edge out there. Filipe fell when he got sideways after two massive moves that would have won it for him if he finished. Shit he looked pretty crisp the brazza. Great light winds too. They can get through all the quarters I guess today

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 5 Jun 2014 at 10:22am

Thanks Stu. I'm happy to run with that one.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 5 Jun 2014 at 10:52am

I'm sure I'm at an age of having to purchase some glass coke bottle bottoms on my head..!

But IMO the camera work is out of focus.....? Anyone else seeing this, haha

leckiep's picture
leckiep's picture
leckiep Thursday, 5 Jun 2014 at 11:05am

Didn't see him in Rd4 but Adriano was surfing incredibly this morning against Ace.
Power and style! Never thought I'd say that, but he was killing it.

I agree with Zen on KS often heading into round 5 and then dominating from there. He's lost a couple now, but for a while he had an incredible record if you looked at where he finished after making it into Rd 5...

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Thursday, 5 Jun 2014 at 12:04pm

Kelly has Bourez - big heat that one and a rematch of last years final if Fanning gets through.

Jeez for a forecasted 1.2m swell Cloudbreak is such a magnet, waves are super contestable. its 3 foot with 4 foot sets - is that how you see it Stu??

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Thursday, 5 Jun 2014 at 1:14pm

Fanning....ummmm, hurry up young man!!! 12 min left and hasn't even ridden a wave.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Thursday, 5 Jun 2014 at 1:19pm

Nat Young going fecking ballistic!!!!!

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Thursday, 5 Jun 2014 at 2:36pm

Geez, swell is waning rapidly. Not sure the finals (tomorrow) are gonna be in good waves, particularly for the bigger guys like Bourez etc.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 6 Jun 2014 at 5:57am

Finals Day on right now. Surf is smaller but clean and they'l be all done in an hour and a half.

leckiep's picture
leckiep's picture
leckiep Friday, 6 Jun 2014 at 9:13am

Medina smashed it.