Long period South Swell from 9 July

barstardos1's picture
barstardos1 started the topic in Monday, 4 Jul 2011 at 11:03am

The series of fronts from the south for this week has been apparent for most observers for some time. But its now starting to look pretty exciting for this weekend. The third major pulse expected, arriving Sat night - Sunday is looking like its going to pack some epic punch. Swell periods of 18 - 19 seconds at 3m - 4m is serious Hawaiian sized and really rare for Sydney. Combine with moderate NW winds and could be a truly epic weekend at some spots. Swell direction will be pure south. With such a long period swell this swell is going to magnify unexpectedly in some spots and mysteriously underwhelm at not others.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Tuesday, 5 Jul 2011 at 2:37am

and mysteriously underwhelm at not others.

By: "barstardos1"

And that would be SE Qld!!! But hey, the swell period is rather special so let's not bag it too much up here. How's NZ and Fiji looking!!! Bugger me, now that's sizey!!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 6 Jul 2011 at 5:48am

Pretty tricky event all round... of more interest to me is the prolonged nature of the swell. Should be sizeable long period stuff outta the south from Sat thru' Tues.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 6 Jul 2011 at 5:52am

Hard to remember such a prolonged and sustained series of fronts.

Wish the QUIKSCAT was still going.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Wednesday, 6 Jul 2011 at 6:16am

Should be sizeable long period stuff outta the south from Sat thru' Tues.

By: "thermalben"

And potentially longer. :(

Give me what I scored this morning any day over these S'ly swells!!! I want east in it god damn it!!!

greyhound's picture
greyhound's picture
greyhound Wednesday, 6 Jul 2011 at 9:15am

hell yeh. viccos in for a poundin....i wonder if those crazy stormriding crew will be in tazzie. what about shippys???

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 6 Jul 2011 at 9:50am

Way too windy greyhound - we're going elsewhere. Shame too - there will be some enormous waves around southern Tasmania during this swell.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Wednesday, 6 Jul 2011 at 9:59am

From discussions with my mate in Tassie today, its fair to say that every surfer in Tassie is frothin at the moment. One of the biggest swells to hit there in a while (if it comes off as forecast).

non-local's picture
non-local's picture
non-local Wednesday, 6 Jul 2011 at 10:14pm

thermalben how big do you recon vicco will be?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 7 Jul 2011 at 12:01am

Massive! Easy 8-10ft Bells, possibly bigger if we're lucky. Followed by a series of slightly smaller but still sizeable swells over the following days. It's a classic winter weather pattern.

thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber Thursday, 7 Jul 2011 at 10:31am

its already on down here in tas.
but no one knew about it. very few out for 3 - 4 (pretty rare) ft points.

i am sure everyone knows by now though.

thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber Thursday, 7 Jul 2011 at 10:33am

especially if they read that post

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Sunday, 10 Jul 2011 at 10:55pm

Some fecking damn impressive swell periods in the water this morning. You certainly don't see that in SE Qld very often!!!