The apparent big wednesday

doublezero's picture
doublezero started the topic in Sunday, 5 Jun 2011 at 10:41pm

So what happened to the so called big wednesday I heard about from so many people and sites? Was it a hoax or..
An apparent 5-7m south swell produced by a huge low pressure system in between taz and nz set to wreak havoc on the south coast of Australia?
Had my camera ready and everything.
Was even keen to see Balmoral break.
Tub

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 5 Jun 2011 at 10:50pm

When? Where? What? Dates would be handy, doublezero. There are fifty two Wednesdays every year.

doublezero's picture
doublezero's picture
doublezero Sunday, 5 Jun 2011 at 11:08pm

48 hours from the present day..
word was around Wollongong all weekend. Guys were reminiscing and what not of previous big swells while watching the clean sets roll through south beach.. talking of days from the 60s and 70s.. due you think there will be a "big" swell coming in at all?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 6 Jun 2011 at 1:49am

Nothing like this was forecast on Swellnet - so must have been another website.

Do I think it'll be huge on Wednesday? No, very unlikely.

However we've got a dynamic weather pattern developing over the coming days and a solid swell is a possibility later in the week. Craig's updated the latest Sydney forecast and will have more confidence regarding our end-of-the-week scenarios on Wednesday.

batfink_and_karate's picture
batfink_and_karate's picture
batfink_and_karate Monday, 6 Jun 2011 at 2:21am

So what happened to the so called big wednesday I heard about from so many people and sites?

Honestly DZ, I hadn't heard anyone talking about it. Certainly not anyone who has an eye on the synoptic charts. Was never really looking like it was going to be off the richter this Wednesday.

Last Wednesday was pretty sizable. Not sure what the buoys recorded but wouldn't be surprised if it was 5 metres. Craig or Ben would know.

On the other hand, rumours of huge swells have often come around in the past leaving me bemused. I'm left wondering "what are they seeing that I'm not". I think the answer is usually an unreliable forecast chart or website.

rasda's picture
rasda's picture
rasda Monday, 6 Jun 2011 at 2:59am

even the onion is departing Wed and gone back to round by next Sun :(

pigdog's picture
pigdog's picture
pigdog Tuesday, 7 Jun 2011 at 11:36am

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDT65014.shtml
20 metre max i know its only storm swell but what is the record at that bouy 24 or 26 meters i remember the quote (waves of destruction) but i forgot the size...

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 7 Jun 2011 at 10:22pm

That could be a record pigdog. My recollection is that a previous maximum of 19.8m (a few years back) was considered the record height. However, the data needs to be QC'd first to make sure it's not the result of a malfunctioning buoy.

fishheadsushi's picture
fishheadsushi's picture
fishheadsushi Wednesday, 15 Jun 2011 at 4:25am

I saw said comment, it was for a buoy off the South West of Tasmania.

Apparently it was 21.5? and the largest in recorded history.